Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2019, 12:51 PM   #1

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
AGS and not switching back to city

I am at Hilton Head in 100* temps so all 3 A/C is running, the generator came on (due to temp) I checked to the breaker at the pedestal and noticed that the 50 amp was tripped, This is the first time in two weeks that it tripped. I reset it and my hardwired progressive surge protector showed all normal. I waited for it to transfer back to city power but never did. After a while, I turned off all A/C and the generator went into cooldown and turned off. The PCS was showing 50 amp shore power, I turned on the A/C again and the generator kicked on again. I checked the 50 amp breaker and the Progressive Surge and all was working normally. I turned the AC off again and the generator cooled down and turned off. Then I turned on only two A/C and waited for them to come on then turned on the 3rd and all is working. Can anyone explain what happened and why? If there was a big draw shouldn't the PCS keep it within the 50 shore power?

I added the Magnum ME-ARC could a setting be wrong in that?

Marc
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2019, 12:59 PM   #2

50A Circuit Breaker at Power Pedestal tripped.....overloaded circuit/high amp draw

What was CG System Voltage......low voltage/higher amp

Transfer switch priority is typically Generator Power vs Shore Power
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:04 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If AGS is enabled, and the setPoint is triggered by "EXT INPUT" then anytime the AC is called for, the generator will start, regardless of shore power availability.

If AGS is enabled, and the set point is triggered by a "temp", then anytime that temp is reached, the generator will start, regardless of shore power availability.

The second method is the most common method people will use when ensuring that a pet does not overheat in a coach. Setting this much higher than then thermostat is set for, so as there is enough spread to prevent overlapping of the 2 set points.

Generally speaking, unless you are trying to ensure safety of a pet, AGS should not be enabled while on shore power.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:40 PM   #4

Thank you for the explanation. The AGS was set to EXT INPUT. Is the EXT INPUT the thermostat setting or is it another setting in the ME-ARC? This was the first time that generator came on vs shore power. I have had it sitting in my driveway with the thermostat off and when we are getting ready to use it I turn the thermostat on and the A/C are run off the shore power.

Where does the set point temperature get it’s reading from one of the zones or a separate thermometer
Old 05-27-2019, 02:46 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Thank you for the explanation. The AGS was set to EXT INPUT. Is the EXT INPUT the thermostat setting or is it another setting in the ME-ARC? This was the first time that generator came on vs shore power. I have had it sitting in my driveway with the thermostat off and when we are getting ready to use it I turn the thermostat on and the A/C are run off the shore power.

Where does the set point temperature get it’s reading from one of the zones or a separate thermometer
EXT INPUT is the thermostat itself. Anytime the thermostat calls for HeatPump or AC Coolinging, it will trigger the AGS. If you look in your last bay on the door side, you will see the Dometic control box connected to the magnum AGS. This is how that signal is transmitted to the AGS.

With the thermostat OFF, then it would never trigger the AGS based on temp settings.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:11 PM   #6

The ATS has priority for generator power. Anytime the generator is sending power to the ATS, it will stay in that mode, even if shore power is restored.

The generator must be shut down, either by shutting it off, or opening its breakers, for the ATS to switch back to shore power.

If the surge protector took to long checking shore power, the AGS may have taken over again and started the generator..
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:26 PM   #7

Thanks that good to know
Old 05-27-2019, 05:37 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think everyone hit the highlights.

The transfer switch has generator priority. If you were set up on shore power and subsequently got an AGS start...one or more air conditioners was commanded to cool, but had no 120vac power. This could be caused by a shore power trip, as you experienced...or it could even be a momentary shed caused by the energy management system. The system will not revert back simply because shore power is restored. The generator would have to also be shut off...either in it’s own...or manually.

The generator, if started by ext. input will run until the need for air conditioning is finished...the system will cool down for two minutes unloaded, then shut down the generator. Earlier firmware versions works on a time cycle, instead.

If you decide to shut down the generator off after an auto start...do it from the AGS menu in the remote. Select OFF...you can subsequently reset it to Auto if you wish to rearm. If you shut it down from any other location it will fault the system...and you will need to clear the fault.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:37 PM   #9

Charlie. Thank you for detail explanation
Old 05-27-2019, 10:26 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
If AGS is enabled, and the setPoint is triggered by "EXT INPUT" then anytime the AC is called for, the generator will start, regardless of shore power availability.

If AGS is enabled, and the set point is triggered by a "temp", then anytime that temp is reached, the generator will start, regardless of shore power availability.

The second method is the most common method people will use when ensuring that a pet does not overheat in a coach. Setting this much higher than then thermostat is set for, so as there is enough spread to prevent overlapping of the 2 set points.

Generally speaking, unless you are trying to ensure safety of a pet, AGS should not be enabled while on shore power.

This is incorrect. With ext input which is the common setting AGS will only come on when the AC is demanded and shore power is not available.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:22 AM   #11

We were in a CG on 50amp last summer in SC. I had the AGS shut down. About 15 minutes after setting up the breaker tripped at the pedestal. I had to shut down all my a/c units to get it back on. After another 20 minutes of running the a/c units it tripped again.

CG blamed it on old wiring. I blamed it on a breaker at the pedestal that looked like my grandfather had installed in 1920. Finally I made them change it and never had another issue.

You never know what you are getting at the CG pedestal.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:39 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
This is incorrect. With ext input which is the common setting AGS will only come on when the AC is demanded and shore power is not available.
Wish that was true, but alas it is not. I have setup a test to do this specifically.

Is it possible that the 2019 coach is different, sure it is. I tested this in both a Dutch star and ventana, but both where 2019.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:01 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
We were in a CG on 50amp last summer in SC. I had the AGS shut down. About 15 minutes after setting up the breaker tripped at the pedestal. I had to shut down all my a/c units to get it back on. After another 20 minutes of running the a/c units it tripped again.

CG blamed it on old wiring. I blamed it on a breaker at the pedestal that looked like my grandfather had installed in 1920. Finally I made them change it and never had another issue.

You never know what you are getting at the CG pedestal.
I had the same situation my last CG (KOA Luray, VA). Day 2 of my stay, not much different in WX. GEN comes on which surprised me but then I realized it was time for its 30 day exercise so it ran for 2 hours. Then it comes on again not long after and doesn't go off, hmm, something is wrong. As I now use a Progressive Industries SSP-50XL at the pedestal it was easy to see that one line was completely down on the 50A receptacle. It's cool in that you get indicator lights on both sides in the SSP-50XL so it's an instant visual that the pedestal is bad. Then the real fun comes, calling the office. Enduring all of the questions and blame on my RV and "are you using too much stuff" and trying to explain you can't, my RV is designed for the 50A power source, etc. Ugh, then they have to call an electrician and it's Saturday so it was a 7 hour gen run until they showed up, it was a bad breaker, he says a lot of them in the CG are going out, 5 minute swap and all is fixed. I'm surprised they don't keep extra breakers at the CG, my last CG had an issue and they too did not have extra breakers so they had to go in town to get one. Why don't they keep spare parts on hand??? It is so easy to swap a breaker I'd dare carry a spare of my own (I won't, don't worry...I know!) But long story longer, you will get the blame, it's your RV, and hours later maybe you'll get fixed. Good news is my GEN really needed a good load and I'm fine with the exercise it got. Ironically I initiated an equalization of my batteries just prior to all this, I think that didn't help matters.

Quote:
Wish that was true, but alas it is not. I have setup a test to do this specifically.

Is it possible that the 2019 coach is different, sure it is. I tested this in both a Dutch star and ventana, but both where 2019.
I suggest retest and if this is not working this way something is wired wrong.

Set AGS to EXT INPUT and also AUTO for the gen control. Turn thermostat on (cool). GEN should not start assuming you are on shore power. Now kill shore power, gen should start. If GEN starts simply by turning on the tstat/cool and you are connected to shore power, you have another problem.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:03 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

I know my 2017 is as RB stated. Last week I was on 30a shore while setting parameters in newly installed ME-ARC and AGS kept starting. I was thinking at the time it had something to do with 30a vs 50a shore.
NWIP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch