RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2018, 01:46 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
AGS/Generator Turning On and Off by Itself

At first I thought we lost power when the generator came on. I have it programmed to come on for low battery and/or when the AC wants to run (Ext. Input).

It ran for a few minutes than shut off. After a few minutes it came on again then turned off again. This happened several times while I verified that the Progressive EMS showed we still had power.

I turned off the AGS to stop that constant start/stop. I looked through the manuals but can't find anything that would explain this.

I eventually re-enabled the AGS and all seems to be working now. I failed to look at the Status Display when it happened and it now shows "AC In".

Anybody have any idea how/why this happened?

Thanks,
Dan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2018, 01:47 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
It could have been a brown out at the CG.

Try running the GEN manually and see if it remains running and is not auto shutting down.

NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:13 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I agree, brown out is the most logical explanation. The EMS had a previous error code PE7 (Frequency high) which made it shut off when I first plugged it in 2 weeks ago. That error code was still there so I don't think we lost power. Can't rule it out though. I'll walk around the campground and ask around if anybody noticed a power outage.

I wanted to make sure my setup is still working so I tripped the breaker at the post. Generator came on almost right away since the A/C was running. I let it run for 10 minutes then restored power. All looks normal now and the PE7 is cleared.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:24 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
That’s 3 for brown out at CG

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Talked to a neighbor in a 5th wheel. They said they would have noticed the TV go out if there was an outage.

Still looking for alternate theories …

Thanks,
Dan
Old 06-28-2018, 03:57 PM   #6

Reboot required, I say the AGS could have just needed a reboot.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:11 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Reboot required, I say the AGS could have just needed a reboot.
Not sure how I would reboot the AGS. I disabled and enabled it again, perhaps that did it. Scary thought though. If I wasn't here who knows how long that would have gone on.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:35 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't think rebooting it will do any good, something triggered it such as a brown out at your post. If it isn't happening again, fire up the grill, camp, move on. If it continues, then investigate.

To reboot it would be to power cycle it. The device is in the bay just forward of the pegboard in my coach, right near the outer wall/door. Pull out the long strip with all the wires which is the power supply and then reinsert it. I think AGS is also tied to the salesman switch so powering that off a few seconds and back on should do the same. Option 3 is find the fuse and yank/reinstall.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxg0001 View Post
Not sure how I would reboot the AGS. I disabled and enabled it again, perhaps that did it. Scary thought though. If I wasn't here who knows how long that would have gone on.
I should have said Disable and Enable. Sounds like your back to normal .
Old 06-30-2018, 06:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxg0001 View Post
Talked to a neighbor in a 5th wheel. They said they would have noticed the TV go out if there was an outage.

Still looking for alternate theories …

Thanks,
Dan
Possible incoming voltage dropped below transfer switch cut off and generator came on to correct?
Low voltage such as this would not have been noticed by your TV watching neighbor.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:27 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
This is where the Hughes Autoformer comes in.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:09 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
If it was a brown out the Progressive EMS would have registered the condition with an error code.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
If it was a brown out the Progressive EMS would have registered the condition with an error code.

Agreed. I have to assume it was a "black out", no matter how short.

I talked to a Magnum technician today. Basically, any kind of power loss would trigger the AGS to start the generator immediately if the A/C is running. The (really) bad thing is it will keep running until the A/C shuts off or the generator runs out of fuel. There are no provisions for the software to check if power is back and to shut the generator off.

I would think a simple software change could fix this but it's not going to happen so I'm trying to come up with an alternate solution. I appreciate any ideas people might have.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 07-02-2018, 04:16 PM   #14

I would rethink the assumption that just because the AC unit happens to be 'running' when exterior power is lost, that the AGS would 'automatically' and immediately turn on the generator, and somehow run it until [the coach] is out of fuel(everyone's real fear).

Here's why:
The AGS is designed to ONLY crank the generator in TWO scenarios: Voltage and/or Temp

If you are plugged into external power(shore power), and the power is 'lost'(brown out, etc), then nothing happens other than the INVERTER would take over 120v power, IF you have the Inverter 'ON' when this happens(or in 'Search Watts' mode, but that's a different discussion for another time), and you would only LOSE the air conditioner, water heater(elec), and any other 'direct' 120v items that do not run thru the inverter breaker.

WHEN power is lost, and THEN the battery Volts eventually drop to a low enough number, at or below the 'Volts' setting for the AGS for more than 2 continuous minutes, THEN the AGS would start the generator. IF the air conditioner is 'on', it would also power UP after the generator reaches it's initial full 120v power output. Your Inverter panel should also then show 'Charging' if you have your Charger 'On'.

and/or

WHEN power is lost, and THEN the Temperature increase to at or above the AGS 'TEMP' setting, it would start the generator to then run the air conditioner(s).

Now, no matter WHICH situation is what triggers the AGS, the 'RUN TIME' setting will determine how long it will run the generator, but ONLY until either that time has elapsed, or the fuel level is at 1/4 tank, per the Magnum MANUAL. In neither case will the coach's fuel system be run 'dry'. The AGS really doesn't 'care' whether the coach has lost external power or not, it just does it's job no matter.

and you're right about the 'external power restoration' not affecting the generator - the generator is not 'aware' of external power, since the ATS(auto transfer switch) 'defaults' to the generator, even when external power is available. This is why the 'RUN TIME' feature is important. If you have it set too long, it 'could' run a very long time even if external power has been restored.

travel, AGS, enjoy! 84,000 miles in almost 4 years... Magnum is a great product!

RVinsurance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator