Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2018, 08:29 PM   #85

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
My AGS is set to start at 11.5 volts. It happened one time. We were in a WM overnight and awoke to the genny running. Not sure what drained it, possibly the TVs from the prior evening.

If your temp setting is EXT then the AGS will start when the Dometic wall thermostat calls for A/C AND there is no shore power. It will run for the specified time you have set. Mine is set for four hours then will repeat the cycle if there is no shore power.

The A/C will not run on battery. If it did it would not last more than a few minutes which would deplete the batteries and start the AGS.

Don't overthink this. If either the voltage or temp thresholds are met the generator will start. The A/C will stay on, otherwise it would defeat the purpose.

This confused the heck out of me until folks like C.Martin and others chimed in.

So I’m plugged in to shore power, AC set to come on at 72 degrees. AGS is set to AC temp of 76 degrees. Would this work to turn on the Generator if shore power failed, temp would rise from set temp of 72 degrees and reach 76 degrees and start the generator? It seems like the AGS temp would have to be set higher then normal AC temp set, is this correct?
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2018, 08:34 PM   #86

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Stuart you are correct. The gen will come on when the AC needs to go on if shore power can’t support it and turn off when setpoint is reached plus cool down time which is typically 2 minutes.

I suggest anyone using this to exercise it so you can see it work. Set it up then cut off shore power.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:39 PM   #87

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Stuart you are correct. The gen will come on when the AC needs to go on if shore power can’t support it and turn off when setpoint is reached plus cool down time which is typically 2 minutes.

I suggest anyone using this to exercise it so you can see it work. Set it up then cut off shore power.

Thank you Neal
Old 06-29-2018, 08:48 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
So I’m plugged in to shore power, AC set to come on at 72 degrees. AGS is set to AC temp of 76 degrees. Would this work to turn on the Generator if shore power failed, temp would rise from set temp of 72 degrees and reach 76 degrees and start the generator? It seems like the AGS temp would have to be set higher then normal AC temp set, is this correct?
That is correct.

Keep in mind this method uses the temp probe on the wall. If the sun is hitting that wall the probe will read higher than it actually is and the AGS will start even if the AC is already running on shore power. I was in Florida and needed to set the AGS to start at 90 otherwise I had many false starts. I switched to the EXT setting and have no more problems.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:52 PM   #89

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
That is correct.

Keep in mind this method uses the temp probe on the wall. If the sun is hitting that wall the probe will read higher than it actually is and the AGS will start even if the AC is already running on shore power. I was in Florida and needed to set the AGS to start at 90 otherwise I had many false starts. I switched to the EXT setting and have no more problems.

What does EXT stand for?
Old 06-29-2018, 09:16 PM   #90

Quote:
What does EXT stand for?
External hardware to detect the temperature, in this case the Dometic AC unit.

Look at the pic in post 5. You likely have one of those. In this context the "external" is the Dometic AC system so when that system calls for AC and there is no shore power the AGS will start.

Using the specific temperatures starts the genny even if the AC is already running.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:26 PM   #91

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
External hardware to detect the temperature, in this case the Dometic AC unit.

Look at the pic in post 5. You likely have one of those. In this context the "external" is the Dometic AC system so when that system calls for AC and there is no shore power the AGS will start.

Using the specific temperatures starts the genny even if the AC is already running.

Got it, thank you
Old 06-30-2018, 07:43 AM   #92

I must have misunderstood what I was told yesterday. I thought I was told that because I was wired for the EXT INPUT, that was my only option to use and that always started the generator.

So I set the AGS to 80 degrees this morning. The air conditioner was running and set to 68. All was good for a few minutes, but then the generator kicked on. Chassis and house batteries showing 12.8. AGS 2 Status: says START TEMP. When it kicked on it also said BULK CHARGE. It now says ABSORBING CHARGE. Maybe I'm having trouble with this because we're on 30 amp?

Susan
Old 06-30-2018, 10:44 AM   #93

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandS View Post
I must have misunderstood what I was told yesterday. I thought I was told that because I was wired for the EXT INPUT, that was my only option to use and that always started the generator.

So I set the AGS to 80 degrees this morning. The air conditioner was running and set to 68. All was good for a few minutes, but then the generator kicked on. Chassis and house batteries showing 12.8. AGS 2 Status: says START TEMP. When it kicked on it also said BULK CHARGE. It now says ABSORBING CHARGE. Maybe I'm having trouble with this because we're on 30 amp?

Susan
Susan,

You need to set your AGS to EXT instead of a temperature. This will allow your thermostat to turn on A/C as programmed and will start the generator if there is no AC power available.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:21 PM   #94

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I may have posted to a different thread...

Your AGS module has only one port for REMOTE (purple color coded)

There is either a temp probe wire...in which case you would set a temperature in the AGS settings... OR a PT dongle, connected to the Dometic Control Center module...in which case you set EXT. INPUT in the AGS settings. There is only one port...and one way of doing it... I am under the impression Newmar has used the PT-2 dongle in all of their recent installations.

The only place you need to set a temperature is on the zone display of your wall thermostat. The AGS is controlled by the wall thermostat. Each zone has a half-globe sensor mounted somewhere in the coach. We have two...one on either side of the bedroom pocket door.

Each time power is cycled on the MS2812...the charger reawakens and goes into the programmed charging mode. You may have a pre-programmed schedule running..like Flooded, AGM1, AGM2, etc...or Custom.

The status is showing the charger going bulk...until it hits absorb voltage, where it will hold a constant voltage for the time you choose based on the aH capacity of your bank. From there...it depends on the finishing setting, Float, Silent, Multi... I have another charge source (solar) so I have multi. The MS2812 quits charging after the Absorb Time setting...and switches off, until rebulk voltage is reached. Our solar keeps on floating until the sun goes down.

http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sit...ME-PT2_Web.pdf

ME-PT2 instructions... We have the Networked AGS...and the Dometic Control Center connection...
Old 06-30-2018, 03:34 PM   #95

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
I may have posted to a different thread...

Your AGS module has only one port for REMOTE (purple color coded)

There is either a temp probe wire...in which case you would set a temperature in the AGS settings... OR a PT dongle, connected to the Dometic Control Center module...in which case you set EXT. INPUT in the AGS settings. There is only one port...and one way of doing it... I am under the impression Newmar has used the PT-2 dongle in all of their recent installations.

The only place you need to set a temperature is on the zone display of your wall thermostat. The AGS is controlled by the wall thermostat. Each zone has a half-globe sensor mounted somewhere in the coach. We have two...one on either side of the bedroom pocket door.

Each time power is cycled on the MS2812...the charger reawakens and goes into the programmed charging mode. You may have a pre-programmed schedule running..like Flooded, AGM1, AGM2, etc...or Custom.

The status is showing the charger going bulk...until it hits absorb voltage, where it will hold a constant voltage for the time you choose based on the aH capacity of your bank. From there...it depends on the finishing setting, Float, Silent, Multi... I have another charge source (solar) so I have multi. The MS2812 quits charging after the Absorb Time setting...and switches off, until rebulk voltage is reached. Our solar keeps on floating until the sun goes down.

http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sit...ME-PT2_Web.pdf

ME-PT2 instructions... We have the Networked AGS...and the Dometic Control Center connection...

This is mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7030.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	475.5 KB
ID:	209055  
Old 06-30-2018, 04:18 PM   #96

Quote:
This is mine
The little square box with the green sticker is the dongle C.Martin is referring to.

This dongle is the EXT INPUT you are connecting with in the AGS settings.

Susan-your AGS started because you are using a numbered temperature setting and not the EXT INPUT setting. The wall sensor read 80* even though the AC was running.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:19 PM   #97

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
The little square box with the green sticker is the dongle C.Martin is referring to.

This dongle is the EXT INPUT you are connecting with in the AGS settings.

Susan-your AGS started because you are using a numbered temperature setting and not the EXT INPUT setting. The wall sensor read 80* even though the AC was running.

Thank you
Old 06-30-2018, 06:52 PM   #98

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Without a probe...I don’t know what it is “reading”. If you set a temperature instead of ext. input...you can probably go to TECH....TEMPERATURES....AGS TEMPERATURE.

It should show you what it thinks the temperature is...but with the PT2 connected, I have no idea what it thinks it is reading. It is picking up intergalactic static or something...

When I go to TECH...TEMPERATURES...AGS TEMPERATURE...it says EXT.