Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not sure if this might help, now.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2019, 03:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlkhorses View Post
My setup is like yours so it appears that if any of the AC units calls for cooling the G
AGS will call for the Gen to start. So that doesn't really work for us. Looks like we will have to go with power out then start the gen.
What do you mean by " power out then start the gen " ?

We had an instance where there was a momentary blip in the power and the genset started due to the AC demand. The power came back on at the pedestal
but the genset continued to run, I assume due to the AC call for cooling on the hot day we were having
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:36 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's my understanding that for a power outage the Gen will run for a set time, then check for power outage again. I may be off on that a little bit. I don't have my manuals here so can't read up on it.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:43 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't have Silverleaf in the Ventana just the Magnum rc. Seems there was some issue about the power outage. Like it would only my start if the batteries reached a certain level. So it wasn't a true power outage check. That would also be an issue since we have the pups in there with A.C. on. It's been over 100 here in Tx several days so that would be bad also.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:16 PM   #19

Quote:
I don't have Silverleaf in the Ventana just the Magnum rc. Seems there was some issue about the power outage. Like it would only my start if the batteries reached a certain level. So it wasn't a true power outage check. That would also be an issue since we have the pups in there with A.C. on. It's been over 100 here in Tx several days so that would be bad also.
That's why I set mine to temperature, external input and then 30 minutes on the run time.

So, if shore power goes out and the thermostat is calling for cooling, the generator starts.

I'm also worried about digs and when I was in Branson over the fourth, the park had power problems so my generator started several times.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:17 PM   #20

Is there any way to keep the generator in auto start mode all the tine? It seems like when the engine is started, the auto start function is disabled.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:01 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
That's why I set mine to temperature, external input and then 30 minutes on the run time.

So, if shore power goes out and the thermostat is calling for cooling, the generator starts.

I'm also worried about digs and when I was in Branson over the fourth, the park had power problems so my generator started several times.
Thats going to be the way to go. Does it start if any of the ACs call for cooling or can it be set for or is for a particular zone?
Old 08-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #22

Quote:
Thats going to be the way to go. Does it start if any of the ACs call for cooling or can it be set for or is for a particular zone?
My assumption, but I have not tested, is that it's if any zone is calling for cooling.

Keep in mind, it seems that the "enabled" setting reverts to "disabled" when you start the engine (or something else), so every time you park you need to re-enable auto start. It keeps the settings such as run time, external temp input, etc., just not the enabled setting.

I'm hoping there is a way to make that enabled value sticky, but so far I have not found it.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I looked at the manuals and found the following:
AC In
The inverter/charger is connected to another source such as a grid or an alternate generator, and is not controlled by the AGS. When AC In displays, the AGS is prevented or locked out from all autostarting conditions, except for when the generator needs to exercise—if enabled.

So I would think that once the shore power comes back on autostart is prevented.

I haven't found anything about it being disabled by the engine running.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:03 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
My assumption, but I have not tested, is that it's if any zone is calling for cooling.

Keep in mind, it seems that the "enabled" setting reverts to "disabled" when you start the engine (or something else), so every time you park you need to re-enable auto start. It keeps the settings such as run time, external temp input, etc., just not the enabled setting.

I'm hoping there is a way to make that enabled value sticky, but so far I have not found it.
Under "08 AGS Tech" settings, scroll to "AGS Mode". There are two settings" RV or Other. Setting it to "Other" instead of RV will do what you are asking for.

As far as for the generator staying on as long as there is call for A/C, I had a lengthy discussion with a Magnum tech. Basically, that's the way it works and there is no way to change that. I'm thinking that because the transfer switch has switched to the Generator, the AGS has no way of knowing that power is back at the pedestal.

I haven't had time yet but I'm planning to build a line monitor and interface into the AGS to make the Generator stop if power is back for a certain amount of time, e.g. 5 minutes. As you, we are concerned about our pets in the coach and even though it's great the generator came on, I don't want it to run out of gas if we are gone all day.

Regards,
Dan
Old 08-13-2019, 04:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxg0001 View Post
Under "08 AGS Tech" settings, scroll to "AGS Mode". There are two settings" RV or Other. Setting it to "Other" instead of RV will do what you are asking for.

As far as for the generator staying on as long as there is call for A/C, I had a lengthy discussion with a Magnum tech. Basically, that's the way it works and there is no way to change that. I'm thinking that because the transfer switch has switched to the Generator, the AGS has no way of knowing that power is back at the pedestal.

I haven't had time yet but I'm planning to build a line monitor and interface into the AGS to make the Generator stop if power is back for a certain amount of time, e.g. 5 minutes. As you, we are concerned about our pets in the coach and even though it's great the generator came on, I don't want it to run out of gas if we are gone all day.

Regards,
Dan
Interesting. So, unlike a home generator where the transfer switch communicates back to the generator that utility power is back, on the RV's they must be more isolated/non-communicating.

Thanks for that setting. While I try to always remember to turn off the AC before disconnecting shore power, so power isn't just pulled from the air conditioners, it's really important with this setting, or the generator will simply fire up right away as soon as pulling power. That will help reinforce what I've tried to make a habit anyway.

Tags
advice