Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2021, 07:40 PM   #1

Air conditioner discharge water coming down through the wall.

I am completely lost on this problem. The coach is leveled and the the side the air conditioner discharge is draining towards is the passenger side from gutter drain cup.
Here’s the problem. The water is not going into the drain cup yet there is water draining from the drain tube that connects to the roof drain cup. Additionally, there’s water leaking from an outside seem directly below where the drain is located. The seam is at the level of the floor. I pulled the door handle and inserted my endoscope and, there is definitely water sitting inside the wall at the seam and, I can see it dripping down from above. It has to be hitting the window frame and then traveling around the frame before ending up dripping through the outside seam.
I pulled some ceiling lights and looked up into the roof area near the drain with my scope. Everything I can see in the ceiling is dry and feels dry. The water is just laying up on the roof around the front two awning brackets but, not going into the gutters or the drain. I checked all the caulking around those brackets and I see no visible cracks or deterioration. The taped seam on the roofline is undamaged and adhering tightly to the roof with no evidence of anywhere water can seep through especially, at the rate that it’s coming out of the seam at floor level.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	285A4E5E-3585-4A85-845D-DE0A62CE86A9.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	335498   Click image for larger version

Name:	8EBE2A1A-6381-4567-BC2E-89B9D7A73410.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	335499  

Click image for larger version

Name:	A938BE0C-D82F-4802-8AED-C2C0E4258EE6.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	335500   Click image for larger version

Name:	3FAD8818-676D-42F8-87C1-D715DD85D754.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	335501  

ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2021, 08:36 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Have you opened up the cover on the front AC? Maybe condensation is accumulating inside and entering the roof from inside the unit? Hope not, but it’s getting in there somehow.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 06:06 AM   #3

Not coming through by the air conditioner. It’s is running down the roof from the condensation drain towards the passenger side front. My scope shows no water in the ceiling by the air conditioner and after pulling several overhead ceiling lights and looking I see and feel no evidence of water intrusion in the ceiling.

I am fairly positive that at the rate the water is coming down that wall I will be looking at a lot of damage shortly. I have to resolve this problem myself. It would be months before I could get into any service facility and, the factory is booking into late November.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:17 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I am venture to guess that the water is getting in a roof seam. Best start is to apply Eternabond to all roof seams.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:26 AM   #5

All roof seams are completely intact and tight to the roof. I think when I get the roof dry I am going to to remove all the caulking around the two front Girad awning brackets and redo.

I am going to try to get a seal test scheduled at Lazydays near my house. I believe they are at least two months out.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:49 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In our revolution we had water coming in around the awning brackets. Have you checked the plumbing? Could be a problem of leakage over time that sits and only comes out at a certain level? The revolution ended up being a $20K fix!
Chargersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:07 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Have you talked to Newmar service? This probably isn’t the first time it’s happened and they might be able to point you in the right direction. But any penetration could be the culprit so awning mounts or where the slide topper fabric attaches seems possible.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:52 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My guess...that roof drain has become disconnected/broken inside the wall. I would plug the drain on the roof as a test. If the water stops, you have a issue with the hose. I know that the "A" pillar cover can be removed and you can access the drain hose where it curves down from the roof toward the floor. Again, I'm guessing it has come loose, near the top of the front door, part of the water is going into the drain and part of of it is running down the outside of the drain hose, collecting at the floor.

"StuartW" did a post a year or so ago, about taking that "A" pillar off and accessing the drain near the top front edge of the front door.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:19 PM   #9

Don,
I did think about the roof drain connection coming apart and, I may still check that if I can figure out how to take all the woodwork off.

But, as I stated. The water was not even getting to the roof drain cup.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:33 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Paul, mine was coming from just under the drain screen, molding sealant had a gap. Sent you a PM as well. Mine drained down inside just behind the front passenger tire.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:21 PM   #11

I believe I have found the problem as to where the air conditioner discharge water is entering the roof of the coach and traveling down the wall. I am certain that this also applies to rain.

If you are looking up at the awnings or the rails on the other side of the coach then, that portion of the awning and rail brackets that is under the awnings and rails is the culprit. It appears that there was never any caulking applied to the back side of the brackets. I saw water coming out from underneath the brackets today. When I get the coach cleaned out and ready to put into my garage I will turn off the air conditioners and allow the water to dry out. Then I’m going to do a thorough cleaning of that area and all the caulking around the awning and rail brackets. I will then apply caulking to the back side of all brackets. I decided to use the self leveling caulking as it will get up high enough on the brackets and then spread away some as well.

When the water got underneath the brackets I imagine that it entered through the bolt holes. I don’t really want to remove each bolt and fill the holes with silicone but, if this doesn’t work I will do that as well.

Hopefully, this is not a common issue with our awning brackets?
Old 07-19-2021, 04:52 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Put a lean on the coach with the jacks and test your theory.

If the rear of the bracket is hard to reach, you may want to seal all around the bracket and maybe use a piece of eternabond tape, the length of the bracket, applying part of the tape on the roof and part up the backside of the bracket. Then add some sealant to both ends of the tape.

If it were me, I think I would remove those bolts one at a time and add silicone sealant to the holes to more permanently resolve the issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Put a lean on the coach with the jacks and test your theory.

If the rear of the bracket is hard to reach, you may want to seal all around the bracket and maybe use a piece of eternabond tape, the length of the bracket, applying part of the tape on the roof and part up the backside of the bracket. Then add some sealant to both ends of the tape.

If it were me, I think I would remove those bolts one at a time and add silicone sealant to the holes to more permanently resolve the issue.
I know Don. I really didn’t want to do that but, I suppose it’s inevitable. I can reach all of the brackets on a ladder. Not my favorite way to work but, it’s doable. The rest of the brackets are sealed. It’s only the back side of the brackets underneath the rails that had no sealant. I’m guessing that Newmar thought all water was going to run into the gutter and there was no need to seal the brackets underneath the awnings and the rails on the roof drivers side.
Old 07-19-2021, 10:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
Paul, mine was coming from just under the drain screen, molding sealant had a gap. Sent you a PM as well. Mine drained down inside just behind the front passenger tire.

On my 2015 4018 I've had water dripping from up under the front fenders down on the outside edge of the front tires after a heavy rain. Seems to be coming out of the brace that runs from fender to fender about under the front seats, and where the front seat belts are attached.

I called and sent pictures to Newmar when first noticed. All the response I got was " never heard of that before, but if you bring it to us (900 mile one way trip) we'll try to figure it out".

Still looking.

Tags
air, air conditioner, water