Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2005, 11:47 AM   #1

This weekend the temps were in the high 90's. The air was running non stop for the most part and still not keeping up. Then we saw a drip comming from the front TV pod. Pulled the TV out saw water dripping from the roof cavity. Pulled off the AC cover saw no water running off the roof. I did not see any ice. Do I need to check under the insulation for iceing? I have no vents blocked. The drain tubes from the AC were dry. The dealer said he is booked out 4 weeks, So I would like to do what I can. It seems the AC never can keep up when the outside temp is over 80.
Thanks for any guidance.

2003 Newmar Scottsdale 3257
Ron - 33' Scottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2005, 11:47 AM   #2

This weekend the temps were in the high 90's. The air was running non stop for the most part and still not keeping up. Then we saw a drip comming from the front TV pod. Pulled the TV out saw water dripping from the roof cavity. Pulled off the AC cover saw no water running off the roof. I did not see any ice. Do I need to check under the insulation for iceing? I have no vents blocked. The drain tubes from the AC were dry. The dealer said he is booked out 4 weeks, So I would like to do what I can. It seems the AC never can keep up when the outside temp is over 80.
Thanks for any guidance.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your coach isn't level an sloped to the front water will collect in pan under condenser and get blown into the cool air duct,run along ceiling to tv. Take off air-cont cover an check to see if drain holes are plugged in pan. You may have to drill new holes in pan if sloped towards the front, place a steel elect outlet plate cover under where you have to drill. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:02 AM   #4

The AC lake was no where near the drain holes <g> so I made new new holes. Will be good to have the TV back off the floor!

Old 08-05-2005, 08:54 AM   #5

Ron, while you're at it, pull off the ceiling shroud for your A/C and look for four 5/16" or 3/8" bolts. These hold the unit on the roof and are meant to squash the foam gasket on the rooftop when they're snugged up. Many dealers do not snug these 4 bolts up enough, and condensate from the roof mysteriously finds its way around or across the inside ceiling to where you don't want it.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:08 AM   #6

Scottsdales have ducted a/c, so don't have ceiling shrouds.

I had sort of the same problem, though... an itty bitty drip from the front right corner of the TV cabinet, forming a puddle on top of the dash. Funny thing is, the coach is parked pointing somewhat UPhill which would argue against a leaking a/c gasket. And it's been raining heavily here in northwestern Florida for the past week, and the leak hasn't appeared again, so I'd be surprised if it's a roof leak.
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 10:52 AM   #7

Mahlon, how does the AC keep up in your Scottsdale in the heat? When the temps where in the 90s our coach was in the low 80s. Is this normal or do I have low/leaky freon?

Old 08-05-2005, 02:32 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mahlon & Ron , if you remove the cover for air there will be 4 bolts you can tighten on the pan to eliminate any leaks around air-con gasket. Just snug them up don't over tighten save that for next time. Vibration will loosen them up.
If its real hot your air will over work to bring temp down try to start early AM to get a jump on afternoon temps. Draw your windshield curtains. Make sure your foam circle pads are clean, your returns can be removed by turning them as you pull them down.
Where you are junior members that can be changed to " Newmar Owners Forum Members" its for free complements of irv2. "007
Old 08-16-2005, 01:23 PM   #9

I also have a 3257. We ordered with two A/C units and also with dual pane windows. Don't know if this is like yours or not. Ours keeps up fine even with temps over 100 degrees. Though, I don't think it would with one A/C at real high temps. We have one of the xtra large foil type sun reflectors for the front that would help a lot if you don't already use one. We have been in some 30 amp situations and run only one A/C and it works hard to keep up when outside temp is over 95 or so. Another thing I would recommend is not to lose the coach interior temps. Before getting to the campground, start the gen and run both dash and roof A/C. Get the coach cool as you can before setting up and try to not let it get hot inside as it is tough to ever get it back.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:28 AM   #10

We now have a set of RV sunshades for the front windows and that has helped a lot. With the drapes closed I felt like I was in a box, now I can still see out so I don't feel closed in! If I could I would like to get marked by the Newmar Owners Forum Members Tag!!

Old 08-18-2005, 03:28 PM   #11

I woke up one Sunday morning a few weeks back and found water running out of the cabinets over the rear window. I checked the roof AC but everything appeared in order. It appears that when the ceiling cold air outlets are installed, they run a bead of silicone around the edge of the round hole cut in the ductwork. The rim of the register outlet then is installed in the ceiling and the edge of the outlet is bedded into the bead of silicon. Well someone missed with the silicon gun and with the hot weather and the AC running non stop, cold air pumped into the ceiling for two days. And a LOT of condensation formed. It was running down the drapes, the valances, out of the light fixture. Needless to say I was not happy. It took two days to dry everying out and the drapes and valences are stained. I also found some old stains that I had not noticed so it appears that this was not the first time. Newmar is replacing the damaged parts however. I removed the cold air outlet and resealed the outlet to the duct work. I also checked the rest of the registers to be sure they were sealed. Some were not that great so I ran additional silicon along the interface to the ductwork. Seems fine now but it might be a good idea to make sure all your registers are sealed to the ductwork. Just remove the little round grill and feel the joint with your fingers. You should be able to tell if it is sealed or not.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:11 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the info "Casey". Have not looked at mine yet but could you use a foil tape to seal the gap How big was your gaps an was it on all vents?
I don't use AC's that much but this is good to know. "007"
Old 08-19-2005, 05:46 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If I could I would like to get marked by the Newmar Owners Forum Members Tag!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Your application has been recieved, action pending ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:37 PM   #14

Hi Casey-
I also appreciate the post on the silicone at the vents. I will be sure to check it. I have not heard that one before. BTW - we also have Border Collie - Maggie - 10 years old.