Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #1

Air Conditioning won't turn on?

We have only been out one time with our newly purchased 1999 Newmar Dutch, and the air conditioning worked fine at the campground the three days we were there. Two weeks later,while at home, I turned on the batteries, started the Generator, and when I tried to turn on the air, neither Air conditioner would come on , not even the fan, even though the 5 button thermostat controller indicated that it was in the cooling mode. I tried both zones and tried just the fan mode but the fans didn't come on either. I removed the controller, reseated the RJ-11 connector but nothing changed. I turned everything off, and tried again later with the same results...Anybody else had this experience? Thanks ahead of time for your suggestions...Gary
LoveOurRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2011, 10:42 AM   #2

I have a 99 DSDP too. Question how long did you leave the contols set for A/C ? The gen set needs to run up to max rpm to opperate the A/C, then the control will stagger the front/rear, a/c compressors to reduce the start up load. This process can take a min. or so. If the A/C works on shore power and not on gen set poss. low out-put on gen.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:42 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi LoveOurRV,
Skip426 is correct. My heat pumps take 3 minutes before either will come on when running the generator. You could try running the temp down way low to make sure the control is calling for A/C. These suggestions assume power from the generator is correct.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I start my genny and turn on the a/c's it takes a few minutes before the units kick in even though the thermostat is working. Just to make sure I turn the temp down very low and then once the units start I set them to my desired temp. It does seem like forever for them to start when you are standing there and sweating.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have a surge protector which everyone should there will be a delay also when Gen first comes on line.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey LoveOurRV, don't keep us in suspense. We need an update! We gots to know what's happening.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchStar38
Hey LoveOurRV, don't keep us in suspense. We need an update! We gots to know what's happening.
Were planning a trip to Pensacola in July. I will be checking the Air Conditioning system this weekend to see if I was just too impatient and didn't wait long enough for it to come on... I'm also going to check the coils to see if they need cleaning. July in Florida is Hot!!! So, the air had better be working.... I'll let you know what I discover... Thanks for all the good suggestions everyone, your awesome!!!!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cleaning instructions for your AC's

Have a safe trip.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #9

A/C Zones

I just bought a 99 3884 Dutch Star. No manuals what is the proper starting procedure for getting both A/C working together. Seems like I can only get one zone working at a time. Gen Set is working fine. Thanks
Razor1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The first question is "Did the rest of the coach work?"

On the generator itself are TWO circuit breakers,,,, Mine have a habit of turning themselves off, No reason you hit a bump just right and CLICK they turn off.

Next is the Automatic transfer switch.. I"m on my second one.

Next we have a joke I like to tell, only it's no joke.. We RVers often have a few screws lose...... One of the circuit breakers in my main panel took over two turns to tighten back down (METAL, not Mental screws is the joke) .

Those are my top suspects, Generator, Screws and ATS in that order.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #11

Razor1949, Question. When the A/C's are set and cycling, are both fans running,then the compressors run on the staggered start. ? Or does the fan stop on one unit when the other starts up ? When both units are set to run do you have the bathroom doors closed to isolate the zones ? Have you checked the wiring to the bedroom temp. sensor ? My sensor ( also A 3884 ) is on the bedroom wall under the TV, and the wiring runs up the wall in the closet/W/D area , and yours may be damaged. With the doors closed and zone 1 ;living area; set 5 deg. below air temp, set zone 2 ; bedroom 10 deg below air temp, and check operation for 20 min. or so. Then reverse the zone temp settings and retest. If the A/C unit in low temp zone, cycles the compressor more often, then the control and sensors would appear to be operating normally.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
If you have a surge protector, which everyone should, there will be a delay also when Gen first comes on line.
Even if you don't have a surge protector there is a delay for the generator to come up to speed and warm up a little before the load is applied. We have the Power Tech 8.0 diesel and it takes 2-3 min. before it come online.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #13

Update: Finished installation of 50 Amp Service to the Dutch Star, turned on the air and both zones came up and cooled down the unit very nicely... It so nice to be able to power up the Rig on shore power... Thanks to everyone who has been so helpful and willing to share their wealth of knowledge on RVing with the new bees.... This is an awesome site to scan ... I learn something new every day...
Old 04-12-2015, 03:00 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOurRV View Post
We have only been out one time with our newly purchased 1999 Newmar Dutch, and the air conditioning worked fine at the campground the three days we were there. Two weeks later,while at home, I turned on the batteries, started the Generator, and when I tried to turn on the air, neither Air conditioner would come on , not even the fan, even though the 5 button thermostat controller indicated that it was in the cooling mode. I tried both zones and tried just the fan mode but the fans didn't come on either. I removed the controller, reseated the RJ-11 connector but nothing changed. I turned everything off, and tried again later with the same results...Anybody else had this experience? Thanks ahead of time for your suggestions...Gary
In the rear bedroom, under the closet there are 2 switches that look like light switches. Make sure they are down or up (depending whether you have 1 or 2 units on the roof.) One of my guests bumped one of them causing my A/C not to work.
joesteph is offline   Reply With Quote