Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2021, 09:43 AM   #1

Air dryer purge

Looking for help 2007 Mountain Aire 4522, air dryer is purging every 60 secs but the odd thing is I can watch my primary air gauge drop just as fast as dryer is purging (as if there is a bad leak) but if I turn off the engine and then turn key back on to power up everything it will not leak air.....only with the engine running does primary tank leak. I have contacted spartan they said to check auto drain in primary tank. It's working fine and not leaking after purging, have not put manual air pressure gauge on it but by dash gauge governor is working as it should, no leaks out of dryer after it purges....I am stumped! As much air as gauge shows it leaking you would think you could hear it, I also have been from one end to the other with a spray bottle of soap and water.... nothing...I am wondering is it possible for primary air to be leaking back thru dryer into compressor and out to atmosphere when compressor is in unload cycle?
Any advice would be great!
Riley 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2021, 10:43 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am, in no way, an expert in air systems, but, your description sounds, to me, like you have a malfunction in your air governor or purge valve. The air governor and purge valve control the purge cycle for the air dryer. Here's a YouTube video that describes how that works:

IF that is, in fact, your problem, the good news is that they're not very expensive to replace.

Take care,
Stu
Old 04-30-2021, 03:40 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Nice video, thanks for taking the time to post.
Terry
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 03:52 PM   #4

When was the last time the air dryer was serviced, including valves?

If more than 3 years, install a REMAN air dryer (from the manufacturer of your air dryer, not a cheap knockoff).
Old 05-01-2021, 06:46 PM   #5

Thank you Stu!
I have new governor and dryer coming from Spartan. I will post results
Old 05-01-2021, 06:48 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply! I have always yearly replaced dryer filter but nothing else, have new governor and dryer coming from Spartan I will post results!
Thanks again for the reply!
Old 05-01-2021, 07:55 PM   #7

Its not the governor or air dryer if the primary gauge is dropping.
They are both supplied by the wet tank, the one with no gauge.
There are 2 check valves that would need to be bad for it to push back thru the compressor. During the unload cycle the purge valve remains open anyway.

You have a leak in the primary system.

If you get it up to pressure, shut it down and quickly get under it, you may hear it. If its a leak after a protection valve, it will stop leaking at 70 PSI, and if you don't get there fast enough, you won't hear it.

Get a helper to shut it off as soon as it purges and scoot under, listening for the leak.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Its not the governor or air dryer if the primary gauge is dropping.
They are both supplied by the wet tank, the one with no gauge.
There are 2 check valves that would need to be bad for it to push back thru the compressor. During the unload cycle the purge valve remains open anyway.

You have a leak in the primary system.

If you get it up to pressure, shut it down and quickly get under it, you may hear it. If its a leak after a protection valve, it will stop leaking at 70 PSI, and if you don't get there fast enough, you won't hear it.

Get a helper to shut it off as soon as it purges and scoot under, listening for the leak.
Two boat thanks for the reply! I have been under it running with soapy water in a spray bottle ( just in case I couldn't hear it) there are no leaks on any of the 3 tanks, I agree leaking on the primary tank and as fast as primary gauge drops I believe I should also be able to hear it, what I don't understand is why only with engine running? I can turn engine off then turn ignition back on and primary pressure hold steady? Spartan recommended dryer/governor so I guess I will see.
I also wonder where governor gets it's signal for pressure if check valve in wet and primary tanks?
Old 05-02-2021, 09:30 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley 14 View Post
I also wonder where governor gets it's signal for pressure if check valve in wet and primary tanks?
Small dia air line runs from the wet tank to the governor.

Let us know what solves this mystery.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:39 AM   #10

Do you have air powered steps or door seal ? Air powered vacuum pump ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Do you have air powered steps or door seal ? Air powered vacuum pump ?
No, electric steps and vacuum pump
Old 05-02-2021, 11:11 AM   #12

Thanks for the reply! I sure will post the fix! I feel like it has to be leaking back thru governor then compressor only because of the rate it's leaking down and I can't hear it or find any leaks with soap and water! Also only leaks running
Old 05-03-2021, 06:34 PM   #13

Does your engine happen to have air operated turbo?

Would explain why it only happens when it's running
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:57 AM   #14

Wild Card thanks for the reply! You have also just shed a new light on my problem for me! Mine is a 2007 ISM with a vgt turbo, but to be honest I didn't know that they use air to control boost, I will be searching the great internet for 07 vgt boost controller and sure seems to make sense of the only when running. I will post the fix

Tags
air