Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2016, 06:13 PM   #1

Air Filter(s) for ISL450

Trying to get everything lined up for my big oil, fuel, air filter change next weekend before our next trip. I kinda feel intimidated by these manuals as i feel they are designed for people who already know what they are about to read. Is there but one air filter..i.e.Crankcase Breather Element? Only 5000 miles on coach. Bought it new with 2300 miles but want to start fresh with everything. Changed oil, air and soon to change fuel filters on gen. Actually found oil filter in small manual(LF9009)for the coach engine. Would the air filter be Cummins#4939749/Cummins Filtration#CV5060300. By looking at the indicator/colored indicator, the filter is about 40% remaining. Amazing what the gen air filter looked like with only 116 hrs on it. 2400 miles and 116 hrs on gen. Must have been brought to a few RV shows and kept genny running the entire time. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2016, 06:46 PM   #2

I think you might be confusing two filter systems. The Cummins CV5060300 is called a coalescing filter and it's located directly on top of the engine. There's a plastic cover at the very top of the engine that has about 13 6mm bolts holding it to the top of the engine. You loosen those bolts, pull the plastic cover off and then pull the filter it's covering straight up. Replacement is just the reverse. The filter has a built in rubber gasket along the edges so no separate gasket is needed. Just tighten the bolts evenly and a little at a time as you're pulling down on plastic tabs.

The main engine air filter is a big tank about 13" in diameter and about 28" long. It'll probably be on the left side of your rig, but each builder puts them in their own position. This is the one that your vacuum gauge (filter minder) is giving you the condition of. It's a good idea to change that at least every 2 years. The filter medium can pick up water from the air and you run the chance of blowing a hole in the material.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:17 PM   #3

I am assuming you are looking at the "Filter Minder" gauge. This normally shows 11 mm with a new filter so don't assume it shows 0 when new. You will probably change the filter due to age before it reaches 25 mm. I can give you the part number for the Ventana but suggest you wait for someone with a DS to confirm the number in case they are different.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:28 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Your air filter should be a Parker Racor Ecolite #062891 001. They're about $150.00. I would not change it so soon. I would change at 15K or two years. The two years is to make sure there is no deterioration of the paper element. The filter minder is an absolutely useless product.

If/when you decide to replace the filter, here is a tip. The filter lays horizontally over the left side of the engine with a built in elbow down to the intake. The elbow is connected to the intake with a rubber hose connection. If you undo the rubber connector at the filter, you take a chance that any dirt laying on the edge of the rubber connector could fall into the engine. If instead, you disconnect at the intake, the rubber hose goes over the connector and dirt has less of a chance getting into the engine.

So, disconnect at the intake, remove the filter and then remove the rubber connector from the filter and reinstall on the new one. Then reinstall the assembly.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Your air filter should be a Parker Racor Ecolite #062891 001. They're about $150.00. I would not change it so soon. I would change at 15K or two years. The two years is to make sure there is no deterioration of the paper element. The filter minder is an absolutely useless product.

If/when you decide to replace the filter, here is a tip. The filter lays horizontally over the left side of the engine with a built in elbow down to the intake. The elbow is connected to the intake with a rubber hose connection. If you undo the rubber connector at the filter, you take a chance that any dirt laying on the edge of the rubber connector could fall into the engine. If instead, you disconnect at the intake, the rubber hose goes over the connector and dirt has less of a chance getting into the engine.
So, disconnect at the intake, remove the filter and then remove the rubber connector from the filter and reinstall on the new one. Then reinstall the assembly.
Thanks to everyone for the replies and clarification on the air filters.
Coach is right at 2 yrs old as it was completed 8/14 so I figure I'll change all to start fresh and then keep tabs on it after that. Also, thanks for the tip on the removal process.