Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2021, 11:48 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Air filter substitute?

Was wondering if anyone had figured out a substitute for this air filter. It's pricey! This goes on my 2008 Mountain Aire. Would be nice just to replace the paper filter inside and not have to pay for the metal around it. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210506-124357.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	327430
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2021, 05:02 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'll be honest, you only change them every three years. I just bought mine from Freightliner and it was $109.00, that's only $36.00 a year.

I had a removable filter on my Diplomat, that used a Donaldson housing. I think, you can convert the housing in yours to a Donaldson housing and then use removable elements. I looked once and lost interest trying to figure out what it would take to change it out.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:48 PM   #3

Be very careful about substituting anything else Vs the original brand & model of air filter. I've head of 1 or 2 cases of people doing this & them having it disintegrate causing major damage to the turbo charger & $$$$ to repair.

As DSD says- $36-37/year is cheap compared to the possible repair bill!

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:59 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

I had a removable filter on my Diplomat, that used a Donaldson housing. I think, you can convert the housing in yours to a Donaldson housing and then use removable elements. I looked once and lost interest trying to figure out what it would take to change it out.
^This^
Donaldson makes housing's that you can just replace the filter element.

Your on your own to figure out which one flows enough air for your engine, and the extensions / adapters you will need to make it fit. Probably cost you $4-500 up front, but over many years you will come out ahead.

BTW, that Ecolite filter you have pictured now costs me over $225 up here north of the border now!
Old 05-06-2021, 06:01 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
X2 on both of the previous replies and be sure to go with the original brand. Donít save a few bucks by buying a copy and risk paying a big price if the element fails and you dust your engine. You didnít cheap out when buying your Coach so donít risk trying to do so when maintaining it.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:20 PM   #6

That type of canister filter PNs vary by inlet / outlet size , so my

Baldwin # PA 3439 may be different that yours.
But many reputable companies make filters to fit .
Donaldson P 537454
Fleetguard AH 1197
Wix 46748
NAPA 6748 made by Wix
Luber-Finer LAF 1934
Get a cross reference to your PN and shop around.
Some online distributors will ship free over a certain price , but you may have to order two.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:58 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Skip, for some reason the Ecolite models with 6" in/ out, are far cheaper than the 7" models.
Honestly, how much extra galv steel is used to make the inlet / outlet an extra inch in dia ?

Sounds like price gouging to me!
Old 05-06-2021, 08:13 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When I was doing my research, I found the Ecolite models indicated that they flowed more air.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:38 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I'll be honest, you only change them every three years. I just bought mine from Freightliner and it was $109.00, that's only $36.00 a year.

I went to the Spartan school a couple years ago and have a laminated sheet that lists the filters numbers as well as the time and mileage when to change them. It says every year on my air filter. Didn't travel much last year so I pulled the filter and used my air to blow it out. Didn't really get anything out of the filter so I put it back on for now. Using a baldwin filter at this time. Guess I'll just stay with what I got and check it a couple times a year and replace when it looks like it's needed.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:28 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickemb View Post
I went to the Spartan school a couple years ago and have a laminated sheet that lists the filters numbers as well as the time and mileage when to change them. It says every year on my air filter. Didn't travel much last year so I pulled the filter and used my air to blow it out. Didn't really get anything out of the filter so I put it back on for now. Using a baldwin filter at this time. Guess I'll just stay with what I got and check it a couple times a year and replace when it looks like it's needed.
I have to say......NEVER blow out a filter used in a diesel engine. You transfer the dust from one side to the other and then can ingest the dust and "dust" the engine. Replacing an air cleaner every year is excessive. In my younger, more anal days, I was changing the element on my Diplomat once a year. We now travel about 7500 miles a year. Pulling the air cleaner at three years (cut one open) it was still relatively clean. They don't recommend any more than three years, when the filter paper can start to degrade, especially if it gets wet.

If you stay under 10K a year, your filter should be good for three years.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:50 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I also attended the Spartan school a few years back. “Big Mike”, who taught the class, said you should replace the air filter at least every other year no matter how much mileage. He said people who drive in the rain often should consider replacing them yearly because moisture breaks down the paper element and if you are the unlucky type driving when a wet filer gets sucked into the intake, you’ll be rebuilding your engine.

I live in Florida and replace mine at least every second year.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air filter