Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-30-2021, 11:04 AM   #1
Member
 
GW4607's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Edmond OK
Posts: 57
Air Force One and Freightliner

We have a DSDP 4369 on a Freightliner chassis on order. In preparation of getting the new coach I have been getting my equipment ready for the switch over. One of my concerns was connecting my toad with AF1 to the 2021 Freightliner chassis. As you may know Freightliner is now making available an air port at the rear of the chassis for supplemental braking systems. I knew Spartan had a port at the rear of their chassis, although it is a 3/8" female coupler where as AF1 is a 1/4". The air coil to mate up with a Spartan chassis can be purchased from several places to hook right up. Demco can supply the hose as well as etrailer. The hard part was to find an air coil hose to mate up with Freightliners female air coupler.
I called Demco about a month ago and they where just looking into the Freightliner system and was not ready to sign off on it at that time. Etrailer was not aware of Freightliner getting into the mix so they did not have a supplier for the air coiled hose . So I figured when I get my coach I would just take the Freightliner coupler off and install a 1/4" female coupler that would mate up with the air coil I have from AF1.

Today I called Demco technical support to check and see if there was any "update" with Freightliner. They told me their engineers have looked at Freightliners system and have signed off that it meets their requirements. They are currently in production of a coiled hose. Demco Part # 6376 can be purchased from their site, cost is $45.00.
__________________
Gary and Dayna Edmond OK
2021 Dutch Star 4369 Freightliner (on order)
2013 Phaeton (Sold)
2012 JEEP Liberty 4WD Demco Dominator AF1
GW4607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2021, 11:33 AM   #2
TJ
Senior Member
 
TJ's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Posts: 3,429
Thanks for the update; that’s good news for folks with the FL chassis that has the OEM air connection.

And, for those who need a different fitting to mate up with the one provided on their chassis, it is a simple matter to change one version out for another. Sometimes, it does require an adapter fitting between the old and new, but it is quite doable.

Just be sure to get the correct version of the male fitting that connects to the coach; there are several and they look pretty similar unless you know what you are looking for.

Here’s a link to a handy fitting identification chart. Note the difference in nose length in the various versions and the position of the locking groove.

https://www.new-line.com/information...-profile-chart

TJ
__________________
Jim (W7DHC), Diane & Mini Schnauzers, Lizzy & Ellie
2018 Mountain Aire 4047
2014 Honda CR-V 2020 Lincoln Nautilus "toad" w/AF1
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:57 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
NCC-1701A's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 696
I'd have to dig through my files to see where I purchased the air hose for mine last year, but I know I had choices of several locations to buy it. Remember that it's easy-peasy to simply change the connector at the back of the coach if you already have or prefer one connector over another at the coach end.
__________________
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning"
On the Mississippi in SE Minnesota
2013 Newmar Mountain Aire 4336
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:25 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
 
Dutch Star Don's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Moorpark, Ca.
Posts: 17,509
Can't the coupler on the chassis simply be changed to the 1/4" and not worry about special air lines with two different size couplers?
__________________
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 (Freightliner)
2019 Ford Raptor
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:10 PM   #5
Member
 
GW4607's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Edmond OK
Posts: 57
Don yes you can change the female couple to match the male coupler on AF1. The reason for my post was for several reasons. First there have been several post on this site questioning the port Freightliner installed. Second is I thought it unusual that Freightliner would install a coupler that the primary brake supplement (AF1) company did not support. Conversely thought it unusual that the leader in proportional braking system (AF1) would not offer an air coil that would mate up with the coupler supply on one of the largest chassis suppliers (Freightliner). And lastly I feel better when I do not have to adapt anymore systems than I have to on my coach. Since I will not take delivery until June/July I have more time than to research this item than I normally would have spent.
__________________
Gary and Dayna Edmond OK
2021 Dutch Star 4369 Freightliner (on order)
2013 Phaeton (Sold)
2012 JEEP Liberty 4WD Demco Dominator AF1
GW4607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:51 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
 
Dutch Star Don's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Moorpark, Ca.
Posts: 17,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW4607 View Post
Don yes you can change the female couple to match the male coupler on AF1. The reason for my post was for several reasons. First there have been several post on this site questioning the port Freightliner installed. Second is I thought it unusual that Freightliner would install a coupler that the primary brake supplement (AF1) company did not support. Conversely thought it unusual that the leader in proportional braking system (AF1) would not offer an air coil that would mate up with the coupler supply on one of the largest chassis suppliers (Freightliner). And lastly I feel better when I do not have to adapt anymore systems than I have to on my coach. Since I will not take delivery until June/July I have more time than to research this item than I normally would have spent.
I don't know what size M&G uses, but maybe the Freightliner coupler is matched to theirs. As to the coiled air line, I've been using AF1 since 2007. I use a straight line that can be bought anywhere, it's standard DOT tubing. The coil can be a pain and tough to work with. I use small velcro straps and strap the straight line to the straight umbilical cord about every foot. It's cleaner and easier cable to handle and is easier to route along the tow bar.
__________________
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 (Freightliner)
2019 Ford Raptor
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:56 AM   #7
Member
 
Too Slow 90's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW4607 View Post
We have a DSDP 4369 on a Freightliner chassis on order. In preparation of getting the new coach I have been getting my equipment ready for the switch over. One of my concerns was connecting my toad with AF1 to the 2021 Freightliner chassis. As you may know Freightliner is now making available an air port at the rear of the chassis for supplemental braking systems. I knew Spartan had a port at the rear of their chassis, although it is a 3/8" female coupler where as AF1 is a 1/4". The air coil to mate up with a Spartan chassis can be purchased from several places to hook right up. Demco can supply the hose as well as etrailer. The hard part was to find an air coil hose to mate up with Freightliners female air coupler.
I called Demco about a month ago and they where just looking into the Freightliner system and was not ready to sign off on it at that time. Etrailer was not aware of Freightliner getting into the mix so they did not have a supplier for the air coiled hose . So I figured when I get my coach I would just take the Freightliner coupler off and install a 1/4" female coupler that would mate up with the air coil I have from AF1.

Today I called Demco technical support to check and see if there was any "update" with Freightliner. They told me their engineers have looked at Freightliners system and have signed off that it meets their requirements. They are currently in production of a coiled hose. Demco Part # 6376 can be purchased from their site, cost is $45.00.

Thanks for posting this info. I have been going through the same thing. etrailer told me the system on my 2021 Ventana/Freightliner was not compatible however the folks on this forum advised that the etrailer info was not correct. Just last night I was trying to find where to get the hose without modifying anything. Thanks again.
Too Slow 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:06 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: South Florida
Posts: 48
I have a similar issue I am working on. 2021 Renegade XL on a Freightliner Cascadia chassis. The coach has two ports in the back that had glad hands on them. Renegade capped the connections and left me the glad hands in a bag. Setting up AF1 on my Jeep and am thinking I can just remove the cap from the trailer brake service port and put the proper coupling on to mate with the AF1 hose. Obviously this would have several advantages. First being I do not need to install the AF1 coach side. Second is that the Cascadia has a nice handle on the dash to apply only the trailer brakes (Think semi trailer). Does anyone know what fitting I need?
__________________
2021 Renegade XL 45BBC
2020 Bravo Icon Stacker 28'
2021 Jeep Rubicon Eco Diesel
fotofx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:24 AM   #9
Member
 
GW4607's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Edmond OK
Posts: 57
Too Slow 90. If you go to Demco's web site it will show the line is in production and will not let you order it. If you call Demco 800-543-3626 ask for tech support they will take the order over the phone and ship it to you.
__________________
Gary and Dayna Edmond OK
2021 Dutch Star 4369 Freightliner (on order)
2013 Phaeton (Sold)
2012 JEEP Liberty 4WD Demco Dominator AF1
GW4607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:38 AM   #10
TJ
Senior Member
 
TJ's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Posts: 3,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW4607 View Post
Too Slow 90. If you go to Demco's web site it will show the line is in production and will not let you order it. If you call Demco 800-543-3626 ask for tech support they will take the order over the phone and ship it to you.
“Ask and ye shall receive!” This is one of the reasons I like using the phone rather than e-mail; you actually get too talk to someone.

When I looked at the Demco website earlier and saw that the FL hose was “in production,” I suspected they were waiting to build an inventory before going live on their website. Since they have had the Spartan version in production for a couple of years, how long would it take to obtain a different connector for one end of the hose and start installing them? It will probably take longer to create the packaging with the new P/N. And, since they are probably made overseas, there is shipping time involved in a bulk order.

In the meantime, I suspect Demco is just converting some Spartan hoses and parceling them out to those who call and ask about them.

TJ
__________________
Jim (W7DHC), Diane & Mini Schnauzers, Lizzy & Ellie
2018 Mountain Aire 4047
2014 Honda CR-V 2020 Lincoln Nautilus "toad" w/AF1
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:19 PM   #11
Member
 
Too Slow 90's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW4607 View Post
Too Slow 90. If you go to Demco's web site it will show the line is in production and will not let you order it. If you call Demco 800-543-3626 ask for tech support they will take the order over the phone and ship it to you.
Thanks again.
Too Slow 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:21 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 38
AirforceOne and braking for tote

We have a similar problem but our coach is a Spartan and is already set up for the AirfirceOne but we have the brake master system on the tote. Both are proportional air systems and am wondering if one can just hookup the airline and it will work. Any advice would be appreciated.
beedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
air, freightliner



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding Air Force One to 2019 Freightliner Dutch Star Don Newmar Owner's Forum 16 03-10-2019 09:39 AM
Air force One installation on Freightliner XCR dp7 Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 15 07-29-2017 01:32 AM
How hard is it to add the air line for the air force one? TMan59 Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 9 04-18-2017 08:46 AM
Dynamax Customer Satisfaction with Force, Force HD, or DX-3 petrel Class C Motorhome Discussions 0 09-11-2015 06:58 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.