Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #1

Air Force One - HELP!

As previously indicated, I am new to the Class A business with purchase of a 2004 KSDP. Studying weights and towing systems, I have come to the conclusion that I will tow a 2000 Escalade with a Class 4 Blue Ox tow bar; and install Air Force One brake system for supplemental proportional braking.

I have a friend and mentor who doesn't know much about the RV business - but who has a couple of million miles in long haul trucking who is mild mannered and often helpful in steering me in directions which have generally proven most helpful.

When I told him this evening that the coach would be modified by cutting into the pneumatic brake system on the coach, he threw an absolute fit. His thesis was that if the toad broke away or for some reason the air line system to it was broken, I would lose pressure in one of the air tanks - perhaps at a moment when I needed it badly.

I assume that there is an answer to this - but given that I am new to the whole matter, I didn't have it. Which of course left me understanding that I'm flying partly (:-)) blind.

Perhaps one of you kind souls will enlighten me, please.

Thanks so much.

Jim Baird
bairdofl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Air Force One toad braking system comes with a check valve to prevent any air loss of the coach. The folks at SMI can answer any and all of your questions about how the system is installed and how it works.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:58 PM   #3

Thumbs down air line

in some states the modfication of the braking system in that manner
"if caught by an inspector" would be cause for imediate grounding of the vehicle this topic is covered in the fcmr handbook.
the braking system is a pet peve of most state inspectors.
ktm500mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Smlranger is correct. there is a valve that is inserted in the line. Any loss of pressure and the vavle automtically shuts off the supply to everything except the service braking system. Since it is a proportional braking system, air pressure is supplied to the AF1 whenever the brakes are applied. Call SMI as suggested for full information on the details.

Or see what SMI has to say about it.

According to their web site, they meet federal regulations.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:38 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm500mx View Post
in some states the modfication of the braking system in that manner
"if caught by an inspector" would be cause for imediate grounding of the vehicle this topic is covered in the fcmr handbook.
the braking system is a pet peve of most state inspectors.
RVs are not subject to FMCR inspections. They're not commercial vehicles.

In any case, the check valve avoids that issue.

joe
Old 04-19-2010, 06:41 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I took a class on the Spartan Chassis at Lazy Days a few months ago. A guy that works for Spartan gives it, (he has an office there) and when brakes were discussed he stated that SMI was the only company to contact Spartan to ask for their thoughts on the design before putting it into production. He then stated Spartan approved of their design.

It impressed my enough that our next toad will have one of the SMI brake systems on it.
JoeandMarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:14 AM   #7

Unhappy fcmr rules

because most states motorcoaches are self inspected most of the mobile motor vehicle inspector use the fcmr guide as a guideline. because the guide was used to write the the laws concerning vehicles over 5 tons gvw
I spoke to a mv from the state of nj and he confirmed this.
later Mike
ktm500mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:23 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had an Air Force One on my 06 Kountry Star and they did not vcot the air line. They put a "t" in the rh rear brake can for the line and check valve.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ask the trucker what happens if his trailer should break loose from his tractor.

Answer is he can still stop the tractor safely

And so can you if your trailer (Towed) breaks away from your tractor (Motor home)

That said.... My 3 favorite systems in order

Good: Air force 1
Better (if it will fit) M&G
Best: US gear Unified Brake
Unknown but suspect best part 2: US-Gear's other system.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
To quote SMI

Air Force One is the only air brake system that energizes the towed vehicle's power brakes through a patent-pending process that does not require an electronic vacuum pump. In fact, Air Force One has no moving parts to wear out at all. Air Force One is also the industry's first and only supplemental brake system that protects the coach with a patent-pending breakaway system that seals the coach's air supply in the event of a separation of the coach and the towed vehicle.

Total Coach Protection exclusively with Air Force One is a process that protects the air supply on the coach. To meet federal regulations (FMVSS 121) when using air brakes, the supplemental brake system must protect the towing vehicle air supply. SMI includes the components necessary to meet these important safety regulations. If the towed vehicle separates or the towing system fails, the coach air is protected. Air Force One is the safest air brake system available. No other air-operated system offers this level of safety and control

Air Force One uses an approved air tap in method so you will not affect the warranty on your air brakes. DOT and FMVSS (Federal Vehicle Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) #121 require supplemental brake systems to have a separate air tank (ping tank) and a separate valve to control the supplemental system. All other air brake systems take air off of the rear wheels to apply the supplemental brake which can impact your warranty. Spartan requires a separate valve and ping tank to maintain your warranty which you must purchase separately with any other air brake. Only Air Force One meets the regulations and only Air Force One includes everything you need

Read more here
AIR FORCE ONE | SMI Manufacturing Inc.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Now that you have the brakes solved will the Escalade fit into the weight limits of the tow hitch and gvw..assuming the coach has been weighed fully loaded as you will trave.
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:26 AM   #12

We are being careful about weight. We will travel lighter than max rating by quite a bit. We do have a class 4 hitch. I know that the Escalade is not the ideal tow vehicle in terms of weight. Principal reason that I am using it is that I own it - and after the cost of the coach, another auto purchase isn't in the financial cards. Second, we need it's 4WD at our place in MT.

I want to thank everyone who responded to my call for help in this thread.

Jim
bairdofl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:36 AM   #13

I have been using a Brake Buddy , 2nd one, since 2000, have an 02 mountain aire diesel pusher.

I have found that most times, the less modifications of either system is the best way to go.

The royal canadian police approved the BB way back and as I said, no mods to either system and you can use it in another vehicle.

Hope this helps and saves you money

Aime--- ajbjrvers
Old 04-23-2010, 05:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairdofl View Post
As previously indicated, I am new to the Class A business with purchase of a 2004 KSDP. Studying weights and towing systems, I have come to the conclusion that I will tow a 2000 Escalade with a Class 4 Blue Ox tow bar; and install Air Force One brake system for supplemental proportional braking.

Jim Baird
Have you verified your 2000 Escalade is towable four down? The following guide does not list the 2000 Escalade as towable:
MotorHome Magazine : Dinghy Towing > 2000 Towable Cars

Sue