Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2014, 08:00 AM   #1

Air Hose

I have read on the forum that there is a connector under the front hood area where you can connect a air hose to pump up tires if needed. I think i found the connector, where and what can of air hose am I looking for? 50 feet should be enough right? Thanks Wayne
wracinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2014, 08:05 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wracinti View Post
I have read on the forum that there is a connector under the front hood area where you can connect a air hose to pump up tires if needed. I think i found the connector, where and what can of air hose am I looking for? 50 feet should be enough right? Thanks Wayne
The air pressure on our DP coach tops out at about 120PSI. You should have a gauge to tell you the max pressure. You can buy the hoses and fittings at home depot. Be sure the hose matches the max pressure your coach produces.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Measure before you buy. Too short is NO fun.
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:14 AM   #4

Quote:
The connection for your air line is up front in the generator compartment. You will find a Female Quick Coupler. It is there primarily to allow a tow truck to plug in an air supply to release the air brakes in the event you need a tow. It is a good idea to Zip Tie a Male End to this coupler that matches so that the tow truck driver can just put it on his hose if his coupler does match.
Now, filling tires from your on board compressor can be done but it takes a while as you will see in the attached video. I fabricated one of these and it does the job OK.
If you are buying a new hose, get a 3/8" at the least. 1/4" makes it really slow.

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=fill%...ompressor&sm=3
Old 03-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
As delivered from the factory, there is a connector attached to a support strut very close to the air hose. It's the correct fitting for the hose. On an older coach, this fitting might be lost, so getting a new one and keeping it handy is important.

I was usually fairly successful airing up the mains and tags from the on-board tank & compressor, because they only needed 95lb or so. I gave up doing the fronts because they require 110-115 (max 120), and it was almost impossible. I carry a small tank compressor now. Much easier, even if I need to run the genny to fill the tank.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:49 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
..... I was usually fairly successful airing up the mains and tags from the on-board tank & compressor, because they only needed 95lb or so. I gave up doing the fronts because they require 110-115 (max 120), and it was almost impossible. I carry a small tank compressor now. Much easier, even if I need to run the genny to fill the tank.
+1 on FlyingDiver. Any tire that needs 100psi or more will be a tedious pain with the onboard air system. The system simply isn't designed for that. $100 @ Harbor Freight buys a 150psi electric portable that will fit in a belly compartment. Handles the tires, and several other odd jobs, too.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We found these airlines are pretty useless for filling tires, but very handy for blowing up bike tires, beach toys and blowing off your shoes and clothing. I have a hose permanently connected with an air nozzle attached.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #8

Have 50' and can reach both sides rear tires, but takes forever, great to bikes, air mattess, etc.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
+1 on FlyingDiver. Any tire that needs 100psi or more will be a tedious pain with the onboard air system. The system simply isn't designed for that. $100 @ Harbor Freight buys a 150psi electric portable that will fit in a belly compartment. Handles the tires, and several other odd jobs, too.
Don't have room for such luxuries in my basement. Got to have room for the Fishin Gear.
I run 100 Psi in front and this set up works adequately for me. Just takes a little longer and since I'm not paid by the hour, it's no big deal.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:53 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Don't have room for such luxuries in my basement. Got to have room for the Fishin Gear.
Hey - it's a good excuse to get a larger RV!
Old 03-28-2014, 01:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Hey - it's a good excuse to get a larger RV!
Never thought of it that way. But then, I would have to get a house with a longer garage for the new MH.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:25 PM   #12

Thanks everyone, I will look for the connector attached to the rail. So,I assume you want the engine idling when you fill to keep pressure up?
wracinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks everyone, I will look for the connector attached to the rail. So,I assume you want the engine idling when you fill to keep pressure up?
I use my device with the Throttle set on High Idle so the compressor recovers faster.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:38 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I have a 2000 madp, how do you set hi idle? I have not been successful in doing so