Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2015, 09:19 PM   #1

Air hose chuck connector on DS 4018

How do I tell if the air hose chuck connector above the generator will air up my tires or if it's just for the tow truck driver? Looks just like my previous coach where I would hold back the outer sleeve of the chuck while inserting the end of my air hose then move the little yellow lever down 1/4 turn. But it did have a pressure gauge there to tell how much pressure had built up while the engine was running.

And can I get 110-115 lbs air pressure at that point? I know it will take several minutes since that is a large tire and my previous coach only took 90 lbs.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2015, 09:57 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
There is a way to do this. Go to:

They (RV Geeks) have an earlier video on this, so go to that link as well.

They've published a new video, featuring a small compressor by "VIAIR" which they feel is a better approach. I don't know...I used to have a very similar unit from Harbor Freight. (You can guess where both units were made....) In fact, I'm willing to bet it's the same unit without the fancy name. It worked for a while, but struggled to reach those last few pounds up to 110-115 lbs. on a large RV tire. Finally, it cratered, forcing me to go to my on-board compressor as you are thinking about.

This setup works quite well. I got my parts and fittings from Harbor Freight and Northern.

I also carry a small compressor by "Slime", which I got on Amazon. Works OK on the smaller tires but is extremely slow on the big 365/70 front tires.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:50 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
They've published a new video, featuring a small compressor by "VIAIR" which they feel is a better approach. I don't know...I used to have a very similar unit from Harbor Freight. (You can guess where both units were made....) In fact, I'm willing to bet it's the same unit without the fancy name. It worked for a while, but struggled to reach those last few pounds up to 110-115 lbs. on a large RV tire. Finally, it cratered, forcing me to go to my on-board compressor as you are thinking about. ...
The Viair 380C I installed with my airbag controller has held up very well, it's attached to a 2 gallon tank, cuts in at 150PSI and out at 175PSI. I use it to maintain my tires at 100-110PSI, plus and the air system has a small leak I haven't found which causes the pump to run twice a day when I forget and leave it on. It's lasted since 2008 with no signs of weakening.

One of the differences between this one and others I've seen like the HF unit is this one is rated for 100% duty cycle, where the others you can only run for 10-15 minutes, then turn off for a half hour or so.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:10 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Allen.....I've had a DP for almost 11 years now. I check my tire pressure about three times a year, usually before a big trip. On both my DP's, the air system was not enough to fill my tires. Secondly, I don't want to be somewhere and have to have my coach running to do so, especially at a campground. I have a large standup compressor at home and even it struggles to inflate my tires.

On a recommendation from others, I bought this from Sears many years ago Sears.com. It is often recommended when someone asks for a compressor. It runs on 110 volt, has a long power cord and the air chuck locks onto the valve stem. It has a built in gauge that is not real accurate, but will get you close while the thing is filling. I timed it once, it adds about 1 PSI every 14 seconds to a 22.5. Since you're typically only adding a few pounds, it's a handy unit. Since it's electric, you can use it anytime without disturbing anyone.

I always save old pillow cases for storing stuff. The unit fits nicely in a pillow case and doesn't take up much room in a bay.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:08 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I use the coach air routinely for putting air into the tires. In fact this coach came with a hose exactly for that purpose. The coach air runs at a higher pressure than my cheap standup in the garage, so it is quicker, too. The big cummins does need to be running, which can be a problem. I keep a Viair in the car. I believe it would really struggle to push 100+ PSI into the coach tires.
tbbg II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:15 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Allen.....I've had a DP for almost 11 years now. I check my tire pressure about three times a year, usually before a big trip. On both my DP's, the air system was not enough to fill my tires. Secondly, I don't want to be somewhere and have to have my coach running to do so, especially at a campground. I have a large standup compressor at home and even it struggles to inflate my tires.

On a recommendation from others, I bought this from Sears many years ago Sears.com. It is often recommended when someone asks for a compressor. It runs on 110 volt, has a long power cord and the air chuck locks onto the valve stem. It has a built in gauge that is not real accurate, but will get you close while the thing is filling. I timed it once, it adds about 1 PSI every 14 seconds to a 22.5. Since you're typically only adding a few pounds, it's a handy unit. Since it's electric, you can use it anytime without disturbing anyone.

I always save old pillow cases for storing stuff. The unit fits nicely in a pillow case and doesn't take up much room in a bay.
Available today from ToolBarn for $98.56 +$9.00 shipping

Porter Cable CMB15 150 PSI, 1.5-Gallon Oil-Free Fully Shrouded Compressor | ToolBarn.com
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:56 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

On a recommendation from others, I bought this from Sears many years ago Sears.com.
I also purchased this air compressor due to a recommendation here on IRV2. I love it. I also put this guage on it to make it easy to check the pressure and release air as needed.

Since it is on the large size, I normally store it in the back of the jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	guage.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	103189  
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:09 PM   #8

Decisions Decisions. Thanks for all the replys and the different air compressors available. I have a small 12V compressor I carry in the back of the Jeep but no way would it air up the 22.5 tires without burning up.

Oh, and while on the question of air compressors, after my air bags and tanks are up to maximum and the engine turned off the pressure will drop just below 100 lbs in 24 hrs. Then after 2 days the bags are completely down. Does this sound like I may have an air leak some place? Haven't crawled around under the coach yet but may have to.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Decisions Decisions. Thanks for all the replys and the different air compressors available. I have a small 12V compressor I carry in the back of the Jeep but no way would it air up the 22.5 tires without burning up.

Oh, and while on the question of air compressors, after my air bags and tanks are up to maximum and the engine turned off the pressure will drop just below 100 lbs in 24 hrs. Then after 2 days the bags are completely down. Does this sound like I may have an air leak some place? Haven't crawled around under the coach yet but may have to.
Maybe, maybe not on the air leak. If the MH is sitting without anyone going in and out then yes you have a air leak. Although a minor one. So minor that getting under and listening you probably couldn't hear it.

If it's parked with people going in and out frequently you may not have a air leak. Each time someone goes in or out the ride height valve will add or release a small amount of air to adjust for the weight difference. In time that will deplete or air supply.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:52 PM   #10

tomakat - make? model? where you bought it?

I have had other trucks with air systems (electric Viair compressors and such) and they didn't produce nearly as much air as whatever compressor is on my coach. I have to believe the compressor on my coach is motor driven and probably a twin cylinder. It produces a LOT more air than I have ever had before. I don't have time right now but next spring I am going to go through the engine and other mechanical systems. I want to know what is producing the air on this coach. I wouldn't even remotely hesitate to use the coach air to fill a tire . . . far, far more capable than any small electric compressor for sure.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:33 PM   #11
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
How do I tell if the air hose chuck connector above the generator will air up my tires or if it's just for the tow truck driver? Looks just like my previous coach where I would hold back the outer sleeve of the chuck while inserting the end of my air hose then move the little yellow lever down 1/4 turn. But it did have a pressure gauge there to tell how much pressure had built up while the engine was running.

And can I get 110-115 lbs air pressure at that point? I know it will take several minutes since that is a large tire and my previous coach only took 90 lbs.

I have always used the on board compressor (on my current 2015 Ventana 4037 and previous Winnebago 34y DP's). 100-115 lbs is no problem at all but will take awhile for that last 5 lbs. I got 120 into a tire once on the Winnebago but it was a fight. .

The onboard compressor will do much better than any of the outboard compressors unless they are 150 PSI / 40 gal or larger. My new Craftsman 150psi/40gal can fill my fronts at 110 faster than the onboard but sometimes it's easier to just hook up a hose an drag the 40 gal out to the back yard.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:30 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
I ordered this from Amazon and it has a 4.5 star rating with almost 350 reviews.

Astro Pneumatic 3018 3-1/2-Inch Digital Tire Inflator with Hose
  • Easy Change Chuck System
  • Displays KG, PSI or BAR measurement
  • Allows accurate reading of tire pressure assisting with functionality of use with TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)
  • Two position lever; 1st position deflates, 2nd position inflates

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:38 AM   #13

Quote:

Mine did the same. I called freightliner and it is within spec.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post

I have had other trucks with air systems (electric Viair compressors and such) and they didn't produce nearly as much air as whatever compressor is on my coach. I have to believe the compressor on my coach is motor driven and probably a twin cylinder. It produces a LOT more air than I have ever had before. I don't have time right now but next spring I am going to go through the engine and other mechanical systems. I want to know what is producing the air on this coach. I wouldn't even remotely hesitate to use the coach air to fill a tire . . . far, far more capable than any small electric compressor for sure.
Download the PDF file " Air Brake 2007 " for a basic guide to air brake systems.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote