Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2016, 04:38 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Air lanyards...a cautionary note

Being new to DP's, we were in Gaffney earlier this month for the Camp Freightliner class. At one point early on there was a schematic of the air system and I was puzzled by a note about air lanyards. What are air lanyards I'm thinking? Everyone else must know except me, so I quietly asked a classmate and was told. I later asked a friend at the Freightliner campground where the lanyards actually were. Anyway, a few weeks later I'm at a campground and decide now's a good time to see what pulling them sounds like without any water build-up. I pull the first one and it sounds about what I expected, but wouldn't re-seat without some effort. I'm thinking it must be lack of use, or a bit of dirt. No problem. Pull the second one, and a little more difficult to re-seat, in fact I can still hear air whistling. Something should have told me to stop. Pulled the third one, and no way would it re-seat in the least. I'm certainly not driving again until that gets fixed! I crawl under the coach, and with some effort get that one to re-seat partially.

I call Freightliner, who says it depends how the coach manufacturer runs the lanyards, but can't recommend I fix it myself. Came out of the Freightliner shop today with them saying the lanyards were ran poorly, and they re-ran all of them. My cautionary note...pull your lanyards, but perhaps when you're at your first 6 month or 1 year service. Wish I'd done that earlier this month in Gaffney.

By the way, Camp Freightliner is very useful, especially for those of us new to diesel coaches. But sometimes a little knowledge can be dangerous.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2016, 05:11 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok I'll bite what are air lanyards? I am new to this game having recently bought a new to me coach w/freight liner chassis.
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:18 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimacon View Post
Ok I'll bite what are air lanyards? I am new to this game having recently bought a new to me coach w/freight liner chassis.
They are small cable lanyards that attach to small air "valves" on the bottom of the compressed air reservoirs. The idea is that when the air dryers are saturated, the way to find out is pull the lanyards and see if any water comes out with the air. They can be in various locations because it depends on how the coach manufacturer routes the cables. On Newmar they're in the front wheel wells, at least on newer models. The story at Freightliner is that for many years Freightliner left them coiled on top of the air reservoirs and expected the coach manufacturers to route them where they wanted. Freightliner found out most of the manufacturers just left them coiled up underneath.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:47 PM   #4

Well I'm really confused.
Took ours to Freightliner in Kalamazoo, MI last week. Asked them to purge tanks during our 1st service since new (has 6500 miles). Service tech's response was it is not needed because they purge automatically???
Old 05-24-2016, 06:04 PM   #5

Yep- I had the same thing happen the first time I pulled the lanyards. I had to crawl underneath to get them to reseal. The lanyards were hung up on other wiring and stuff on the chassis. Very poor job was done by either Freightliner or Newmar in routing the cables.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:12 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Have never pulled ours and have never been instructed to do so. Automatic is what Spartan said.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:16 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbeels View Post
Well I'm really confused.
Took ours to Freightliner in Kalamazoo, MI last week. Asked them to purge tanks during our 1st service since new (has 6500 miles). Service tech's response was it is not needed because they purge automatically???
They are auto purge, but you should still check them for water when purging them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
They are auto purge, but you should still check them for water when purging them.

If they work automatically, doesn't that imply that there won't be any water?
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:46 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You are actually testing that the auto purge is working. If you get water, then you know there is a problem with auto purge.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:55 PM   #10

There are tank drains with lanyards and there are "automatic" tank drains with lanyards.

With out knowing what you have installed, the confusion will continue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1464137737606.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	128119  
Attached Images

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:43 PM   #11
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
There are tank drains with lanyards and there are "automatic" tank drains with lanyards.

With out knowing what you have installed, the confusion will continue.

Ok, so now I'm really confused. Which do we have with a 2015 Ventana?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:07 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
I'm certainly no expert, but my understanding from Freightliner class in Gaffney is that we have the first (non-automatic) type Twinboat shows, which is consistent with what I saw in terms of lanyard and valve underneath my coach. There could be, and probably is, some difference in model years, and certainly Freightliner vs Spartan.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
You have an air dryer that has an automatic purge valve so that moisture trapped by the dryer is ejected. But the tanks have a manual drain valve operated by the lanyard. As long as the air dryer is maintained correctly you should never see moisture from the tank drains.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:15 AM   #14

Ron,

I sat down the row from you at the Freightliner class and agree with what you said we were told but I have not pulled the cables from the purge valve yet so I don't know if I will have a re-seating problem. However, did you have Freightliner take a look at yours and if so, what did they do to re-seat the valves?

Sometimes I wonder if there is a communication issue between what the customer is told in these classes and what the techs do. The instructor also said to always remove the fuel cap before removing the fuel filter or fuel will run out. I asked the tech who was servicing our coach and he said to never remove the cap as it will cause a siphon and fuel will go everywhere.