Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2018, 02:40 PM   #1
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Air pressure hose Recommendation

Now that I know where the gutter thingys are I can send air up them to blow them out. Any recommendations for a hose would be greatly appreciated. The tech told me I would need 50'. Has anyone used the retractable hose reels? Thoughts? Also, what should the max pressure be for the hose? Thanks tons!
ARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2018, 02:49 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I’ve never had an issue with the rear ones clogging up. Just the front.

Personally I won’t put a high pressure air up that tube. What if the PEX comes off the elbow at the top of the inside of the cap?
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:57 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I’ve never had an issue with the rear ones clogging up. Just the front.

Personally I won’t put a high pressure air up that tube. What if the PEX comes off the elbow at the top of the inside of the cap?
Old 10-05-2018, 03:58 PM   #4
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
I'm not sure blasting air up the gutter drains is a great idea. As Steele noted, what if the drains a kinked (as has been the case with some folks) and you either split the tubes or blow a fitting apart? Then, you would have a bigger problem.

If I was going to use air at all, I would not exceed 40 psi and would limit it to a few short bursts.

As for a hose to use, I'd recommend a flexible, lightweight 50' hose like this Flexzilla, or similar:

https://www.amazon.com/Flexzilla-Fit...ir%2Bhose&th=1

Most air hoses are rated at 300 psi, but you won't get anywhere near that with the coach air.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:13 PM   #5
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yikes. I didn't think about the PEX coming off. What is a PEX? Or blowing a fitting or splitting the tubes... They used air when they serviced them here at the factory, but you both make good points. Since I'm new, perhaps my question then should be...how do ya'll clean them and clear blockages? Do ya'll use water or some other method? Thanks! Really appreciate the advice.

Renee
Old 10-05-2018, 06:14 PM   #6

PEX is the name for the plastic tubing they use. It liked like to me the tubing is one piece going to the gutter. PEX is rated at 160 psi at 70 degrees less as it gets warmer. That is still more than your air compressor will put out.
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:09 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie. View Post
PEX is the name for the plastic tubing they use. It liked like to me the tubing is one piece going to the gutter. PEX is rated at 160 psi at 70 degrees less as it gets warmer. That is still more than your air compressor will put out.

Yes this is true...........but the fitting at the roof is not. Newmar recommends not exceeding 35psi. There is no elbow, so there is. Fitting at the drain well, from there all the way to the “duckbill” under the hood is one piece of PEX.
Renee, were yours plugged?
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:12 PM   #8

The PEX is larger than whatever air hose you choose, it also has a larger end piece, only place the tip of the hose into the duck bill at the bottom, IF there is a serious clog in the PEX the pressure will release back toward the duck bill. You don't need a 50' hose to perform this task.

Even if you have your coach's compressors charged fully the PEX will not see that much pressure if you perform the task as I describe.
Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:40 PM   #9
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie. View Post

Hey Ernie. Thx for explaining! [emoji2]
Old 10-05-2018, 08:44 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
PEX is the blue or red tubing that is connected to the drains. It’s really the hot (red) and cold (blue) water lines in the coaches. They just use it for the drain tubes
Old 10-05-2018, 08:45 PM   #11
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Yes this is true...........but the fitting at the roof is not. Newmar recommends not exceeding 35psi. There is no elbow, so there is. Fitting at the drain well, from there all the way to the “duckbill” under the hood is one piece of PEX.
Renee, were yours plugged?

Hi Stuart! Just curious... is the overflow tubing also PEX?

Were my what plugged in and how do you recommend I clean my gutters? [emoji15]
Old 10-05-2018, 08:57 PM   #12
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
The PEX is larger than whatever air hose you choose, it also has a larger end piece, only place the tip of the hose into the duck bill at the bottom, IF there is a serious clog in the PEX the pressure will release back toward the duck bill. You don't need a 50' hose to perform this task.

Even if you have your coach's compressors charged fully the PEX will not see that much pressure if you perform the task as I describe.

Excellent. Thanks for explaining. I feel better now about using air as that is what they do here at Newmar. Okay wait, the duck bill tubing thing...is that PEX or does that lead to some other tube called the PEX? I need a diagram. [emoji23] looks like I’m going on the factory tour again.

My tech said I needed 50’ so I can reach the back ones which when I came here were also clogged. I totally blame the cottonwood trees in Colorado and Montana. Is there another way to reach the back gutter?

Also do you know approximately what the PSI is that comes from the compressor? Do I need a gauge to hook up to the hose? Thanks.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:02 PM   #13

What about the proof read step before the submit button?
Old 10-05-2018, 09:06 PM   #14
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
PEX is the blue or red tubing that is connected to the drains. It’s really the hot (red) and cold (blue) water lines in the coaches. They just use it for the drain tubes

Ohhhhh! Thanks Steele. Now I’m getting the picture.

Tags
air