Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2021, 09:32 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Air suspension

Thanks again. Will certainly have these checked.
roadstar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2021, 07:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar99 View Post
Thanks again. Will certainly have these checked.
following
WVPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 08:23 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Air suspension

2004 Newmar Dutch Star.. Rear air leak.. Update. No luck at all. The air system is locked up the brakes and cannot move. Thankful it did that while at storage yard. Were loading to leave for a trip.
Cannot find anyone to install the leveler valve. Had one truck mechanic come out. Showed him the leak and told him Spartan had the part. He had a minimum of $125 service fee and 2 hours at $125 each payable regardless if he did anything.
He was there maybe 30 minutes. Said he would get the part and come back to finish by end if week. That was November 23. Had to pay his minimum of $271. He gave us credit of 1 hour because he didn't do anything.Called him after a week and he said he was waiting for me to get the part. I got the part and he said he would be out before the end of the week at a cost of his minimum again of $375 plus tax, admin fee, fuel upcharge, credit card fee, shop supplies, parts and he said it would take 3 hours to install. Told him I would not pay those ridiculous charges and he told me I wouldn't find anyone else any cheaper and he was right though I had already paid $271 and paid for the part.
Seems to be a collusion here in Atlanta. All heavy truck mechanics charge the same. Pay up front. No credit cards. No checks. Freightliner mobile repair won't work on Spartan chassis. All refused to work on motorhome. RV MOBILE only work on motorhome parts not chassis or engine.
We have cancelled two different reservations and have been stuck here for 5 months. Another coming up in January. Looks like we won't be traveling soon.
If you have any suggestions, would appreciate it.
Glad it did not happen on the road.
Cannot believe how all of a sudden, no one wants to work and if they do it is at outrageous prices.
Old 12-26-2021, 08:31 AM   #18

Changing a RIDE HEIGHT VALVE is certainly not rocket science.

As long as you have the coach up enough that you have safety room with suspension all the way down, JUST DO IT.
Old 12-26-2021, 09:08 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
You might go to a truck repair shop and just ask around, maybe you can find a tech that does free lance work.

If this is just the ride height valve I'd consider trying to repair it myself, or at least get it where you can drive. As long as the air is out it should be safe to get underneath.

I was in a similar situation last month, started to have trouble with my air system however I could drive the rig. Compressor easily kept up with demand to drive but would leak down overnight, sometimes pretty quickly. I crawled underneath, found the problem and tried to get an appointment for repair and/or a mobile tech to do a service call. I didn't have any luck so just decided to head home and repaired the problem myself. Saved $$$$$.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 09:13 AM   #20

Any shop that works on large trucks should be able to handle it. I had one of the dump valves on the rear suspension get stuck open. Called a place that works on big rigs and they fixed it in an hour.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 09:40 AM   #21

I had a very similar issue on my old 2003 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis. I was in Vegas getting ready to come home and suspension would not air up when manual dump valve was reset. In that coach, one of the leveling valves on the rear has an additional port that controls the dump. Basically, when air is applied to that port, it moves a little nylon piston that diverts the air to allow the valve to dump. Called FL in Vegas and they had one valve in stock. Valve was about $225 and it was a PIA to replace because of all the stuff in the way. Any of the other valves would have been cake to replace. Took me a few hours to accomplish from underneath the coach. Your price quotes to swap your valve seem very reasonable to me. When I got home, I took apart that leveling valve to see what went wrong. It was not an o ring. That little port with the nylon piston that moves, the piston bent/broke and would no longer slide back and forth. I asked FL if I should carry a spare and they said that issue rarely occurs and would not recommend me carrying a spare. I could probably have bypassed that port some how to get it aired up again but would have lost the ability to dump the air.
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 05:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar99 View Post
Thanks Broke Down. We did find the leak and it was a lot so hard to miss. Took pictures and found mobile mechanic who came right out. It needs a leveling valve that he is looking for. He will be contacting Spartan for help. $125 an hour beats dealer prices. Just hope the part is available for '04 system. If so it should be ready after Thanksgiving. Just goes to show if you keep looking and trying, you can get help regardless of short handed dealers. Usually I find better mechanic, cheaper parts and learn a lot from this group here and from dealers willing to explain questions.
Will post the part cost if found and how long it takes to install it.
Thanks for response.
Show us the pics.
If you're sure it's a ride height leveling valve and you have pics, of valve you can go to a supplier like Fleet Pride or any heavy truck parts place to get one - even Spartan sells them (over priced). Could it be a moisture ejector?
This is a pic of one of my moisture ejectors - I replaced 3 of them in rapid succession and it's not hard to replace them yourself.

Here is a pic of one of my ride height valves leaking.

I ordered one from Spartan and this is what the new one looked like - totally different but the operation and mounting was the same

After I figured it out this is the end result before mounting

You can replace these by yourself and save tons of money.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 07:55 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
When in storage…we’re the stabilizers down??
Old 12-27-2021, 09:42 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Air suspension

We have gotten too old and healthy not good. If we make this trip it may be our last. Been 26 years since we started. We had a new converted Dodge Van and under Lemon Law was refunded the money we paid for ir. Took 2 years. After checking prices of new vans, decided the price of motorhome was within our reach.
We have always worked on our 3 motorhomes ourselves with You Tube and irv2 and friend help. That is one reason I am so frustrated. They all say they are overloaded and don't need our money so what can you do? They are charging so much with 3 hour minimums just to show up and do nothing so why do any actual work if you can make $375 in advance?
I have the part and I myself have installed more difficult ones with no problem. Plenty of room under chassis where this is located in the rear. Dirty but accessible.
I read and consider every word from y'all and appreciate your wise words.
I have some more contacts today and will keep you informed. Everything all of you have suggested will go into making decisions. I will start making a list of the mobile mechanics who rip us off or flat refuse to help. Should have done that before. They are not top of line on chassis work and they know it. Why get dirty under a chassis and work for 4 hours when you can fix a fridge, AC, jacks, etc. For less than an hour and get the minimum of $375.
This mechanic did not do anything and yet was paid and was supposed to get the part, come back and finish the job. If it took 3 hours (Another minimum) plus 2 more hours, we would pay it. He wanted $500 plus two minimums and we buy the part. It states on his invoice that he was not to be paid until job finished. Glad we were not a trucker stuck on the side of the road. He was also arrogant about the superfluous charges like admin, credit card fee, fuel surcharge, tax, shop supplies, picking up part...

Thanks. I'll be back.if
Old 12-28-2021, 07:04 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Air suspension

Clemson
The air was still up in front and rear was flat on the gauge. It was airing up in rear - just slow, maybe 20 minutes and alarming. When it topped off, alarm went off and we thought all was okay. Was worried because our son drives a truck for gas company and he had warned us to check air and brake often as it can lock up the brake going down the road. I called our mechanic and he told us to drive it that it was probably moisture in lines and would correct itself.Husband drove it 10 miles for gas but not at high enough speed to keep the air up. It kept trying but didn't stay. Think we contributed to the lockup by using compressor to put air in tires. Then it locked brakes and nothing can move. Not having much luck finding anyone who will do actual work. Still trying and will let all know. Thanks.
Bld #602376
Old 12-29-2021, 07:15 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Since you are in Georgia, why not take it to NIRVC in Lawrenceville
Old 12-30-2021, 06:11 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Clemson. The brakes are locked up and cannot drive anywhere. Had truck mechanic out yesterday. After dumping the air he was unable to get under the coach. His Mams fed him well at Christmas. Sending someone out today if the weather gets better. Going to check if we can lower jacks and raise the coach and see if it would be safe. Thanks. Will let you know. Storming here in Georgia with tornado watch.
Bld #602376
Old 01-08-2022, 07:52 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Update. Finally found a diesel mechanic to come and put the leveling valve on. It only took him 45 minutes and no more leaks there or anywhere. However alarm still blasting and rear air needle on zero. He came back yesterday and traced the air system and found air bags full, holding tanks front and rear full, brakes full and could not find another leak.
I called Spartan after he left and did not charge for yesterday's labor because he didn't fix the problem.
Spartan said it is safe to drive but not me, not knowing for sure it is safe, we will hire someone else. Mechanic said there were many valves that could be clogged and without a schematic he could spend a week
locating them. Spartan said that if no leak detected we could swap air pressure sending units at the gauge and if the rear came up, it would prove to be the problem. I ordered two sending units because Spartan said we might as well since it was old and if one went, the other would be right behind it plus it would be safer to have new sensors. Paid a small fortune to get overnighter on Monday before 10 am. Call mechanic and he said he would install them if he can get to them. Told they are screwed into the firewall on driver's behind the generator. We have a pull out drawer for generator so should not be as hard as climbing over it. We are in hold position again. Hope to be able to go to our reservation at Mayport on Tuesday. Have cancelled 6 months of reservations because of this. I have really been jacked around by mobile services. This mechanic charges $185 hour because it us a motorhome but has no minimum and did not charge for the hours he worked and couldn't fix it. These RV mobile techs can only work on RV related problems. Truck service would not work on motorhomes. We used to fix everything ourselves if we could but have reached that age where we can't and have to pay...through the nose obviously. It is terrible what they are charging truckers. Who break down on the road. No wonder nothing us being delivered. One told me to send $375 and when it cleared she would dispatch someone and that was minimum. One was charging $145 hour plus service fee with 2 hour minimum.
Made a reservation with one two weeks ago and they called two days ago, the date reserved to say they could not do that type of work. I am really irate about spending so much time just getting someone out. They laugh in your face when you object to the price. I know I have talked to 30 or 40 mobile techs and am burned out. The Pandemic has affected their brains. I am taking names and keeping them and will tell anyone who wants to know who not to use in Georgia.
Just praying the sensor isn't he problem. Makes sense since the air bags have been inflated the whole time till it locked up the brakes. Will update on Monday. Hopefully we will be at the beach on Tuesday and resting. So far $580 in labor and $400 in parts and counting.
If it is going to be like this, we may just hang it up and stay home. It is not the money. It is the hassle.
Bld #602376

Tags
air, suspension