Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2022, 07:00 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Also had a scam call. I called them and couldn't understand them except 3 hr minimum at $145 an hour. He asked fir pur VIN number and then wanted tag number and where it was located. Told him did not want him to do the work. He called back and said his tech on the way and could we leave ktmeys at office at storage or tell storage they had permission to work on our coach. Told him.no. He called again aboutv30 minutes later and said had finished work and would like me to pay to one of those services over the phone. Told him to get lost and blocked his number.
Bld #602376
roadstar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2022, 07:06 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Update. Finally found a diesel mechanic to come and put the leveling valve on. It only took him 45 minutes and no more leaks there or anywhere. However alarm still blasting and rear air needle on zero. He came back yesterday and traced the air system and found air bags full, holding tanks front and rear full, brakes full and could not find another leak.
I called Spartan after he left and did not charge for yesterday's labor because he didn't fix the problem.
Spartan said it is safe to drive but not me, not knowing for sure it is safe, we will hire someone else. Mechanic said there were many valves that could be clogged and without a schematic he could spend a week
locating them. Spartan said that if no leak detected we could swap air pressure sending units at the gauge and if the rear came up, it would prove to be the problem. I ordered two sending units because Spartan said we might as well since it was old and if one went, the other would be right behind it plus it would be safer to have new sensors. Paid a small fortune to get overnighter on Monday before 10 am. Call mechanic and he said he would install them if he can get to them. Told they are screwed into the firewall on driver's behind the generator. We have a pull out drawer for generator so should not be as hard as climbing over it. We are in hold position again. Hope to be able to go to our reservation at Mayport on Tuesday. Have cancelled 6 months of reservations because of this. I have really been jacked around by mobile services. This mechanic charges $185 hour because it us a motorhome but has no minimum and did not charge for the hours he worked and couldn't fix it. These RV mobile techs can only work on RV related problems. Truck service would not work on motorhomes. We used to fix everything ourselves if we could but have reached that age where we can't and have to pay...through the nose obviously. It is terrible what they are charging truckers. Who break down on the road. No wonder nothing us being delivered. One told me to send $375 and when it cleared she would dispatch someone and that was minimum. One was charging $145 hour plus service fee with 2 hour minimum.
Made a reservation with one two weeks ago and they called two days ago, the date reserved to say they could not do that type of work. I am really irate about spending so much time just getting someone out. They laugh in your face when you object to the price. I know I have talked to 30 or 40 mobile techs and am burned out. The Pandemic has affected their brains. I am taking names and keeping them and will tell anyone who wants to know who not to use in Georgia.
Just praying the sensor isn't he problem. Makes sense since the air bags have been inflated the whole time till it locked up the brakes. Will update on Monday. Hopefully we will be at the beach on Tuesday and resting. So far $580 in labor and $400 in parts and counting.
If it is going to be like this, we may just hang it up and stay home. It is not the money. It is the hassle.
Bld #602376
Old 01-11-2022, 06:12 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
UPDATE. We have air. When mechanic could not find any other leaks and alarm still blasting, I called Spartan and a nice tech there told me if all the air is up and no leaks it had to be the air pressure sending unit at the gauge. His name was Brian and he told me where to find this unit, under the hood on driver's side fire wall. It screws in and out. There are two. One for front and one for back. Decided to look for these before calling mobile tech back out at $185 hour. Our generator is pull-out on drawer. My husband said he could change them. The first one was hard to unscrew but with some channel locks broke it loose. What I was not told was to dump the air before removing and they are under pressure. Duh! It popped out and hit my husband in the forehead. No serious damage but knocked him silly for a few minutes. Then we dumped the air before removing the second one. Only one was bad but both old so replaced both. The wire plugs into the back. Cranked it up and air started coming up. Has more air registered than before before one went out.
Will be leaving today for Mayport but not rushing. Realize campgrounds are full but there is a big Bass Pro Shop parking lot at Savannah Mall and may try to park there and take our time getting to JAX. My husband is so proud that he fixed it. The mechanic never mentioned an air pressure valve. I had considered a sensor since the air was good after replacing the leveler valve. I have a good memory and anything I have read or been told is in there to be pulled out when needed. Getting slow to come to me now as I age.
We are loading up and I will send a picture tomorrow when we are all settled in.
Thank you so much for all of your help. It seems we always have to spend money unnecessarily when getting repaired but we get there and for me, this lifestyle is worth it.
Thank you for all of you and irv2, Spartan and Toby at Senoia for excellent help. May be counting chickens before they hatch and air may be alarming when we go back today. Leaving it in the hands of God.
Bld #602376
Old 01-14-2022, 03:16 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
UPDATE
My husband checked where the air pressure sending valves were located after receiving the new ones. Said he could put them in. Just screw out the old and screw in the new ones. Wire connector on each unit and plugged out and the new one in. What Spartan did not say was we should dump the air before removing the unit. They are metal and the size of what old fuel pumps used to look like. Hit him in the forehead and knocked him silly. After recovery, he put the new one on and since all of the air came out with the first one had no problem. Cranked the engine AND IT WORKED! AIR GAUGES WERE AT THEIR LIMIT WITHIN A COUPLE MINUTES. After loading and ready to leave on Monday, had another hitch. Engine light came on and so did alarm. Mechanic would not come out till next day and it was dark when we finished loading so worn out. He told us to check coolant level. Where?? We have always had service by our diesel mechanic but he was 6 months behind. Then I developed heart and lung problem and we cancelled our reservations in September and November. So it sat. Mobile mechanic came next morning and brought antifreeze and engine and alarm went off and everything checked out. We left Tuesday and stayed in Savannah for two nights. Too exhausted to keep going. WE ARE HERE NOW! Engine light and alarm back on. Think maybe after antifreeze circulated it wasn't enough and sensor intercepted the.problem. $354 for pouring in 3 gallons of antifreeze but at this point did not care. We will check it now that we know where the reservoir is located. Not worried. Parked looking at the harbor and ocean at jetties. Will be here 2 1/2 weeks. No better place to be stranded.
Bld #602376
Old 01-14-2022, 03:22 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
UPDATE
My husband checked where the air pressure sending valves were located after receiving the new ones. Said he could put them in. Just screw out the old and screw in the new ones. Wire connector on each unit and plugged out and the new one in. What Spartan did not say was we should dump the air before removing the unit. They are metal and the size of what old fuel pumps used to look like. Hit him in the forehead and knocked him silly. After recovery, he put the new one on and since all of the air came out with the first one had no problem. Cranked the engine AND IT WORKED! AIR GAUGES WERE AT THEIR LIMIT WITHIN A COUPLE MINUTES. After loading and ready to leave on Monday, had another hitch. Engine light came on and so did alarm. Mechanic would not come out till next day and it was dark when we finished loading so worn out. He told us to check coolant level. Where?? We have always had service by our diesel mechanic but he was 6 months behind. Then I developed heart and lung problem and we cancelled our reservations in September and November. So it sat. Mobile mechanic came next morning and brought antifreeze and engine and alarm went off and everything checked out. We left Tuesday and stayed in Savannah for two nights. Too exhausted to keep going. WE ARE HERE NOW! Engine light and alarm back on. Think maybe after antifreeze circulated it wasn't enough and sensor intercepted the.problem. $354 for pouring in 3 gallons of antifreeze but at this point did not care. We will check it now that we know where the reservoir is located. Not worried. Parked looking at the harbor and ocean at jetties. Will be here 2 1/2 weeks. No better place to be stranded. Thanks to all. I always forget how to post a picture on here. HELP?
Bld #602376
Old 01-15-2022, 06:01 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar99 View Post
UPDATE
My husband checked where the air pressure sending valves were located after receiving the new ones. Said he could put them in. Just screw out the old and screw in the new ones. Wire connector on each unit and plugged out and the new one in. What Spartan did not say was we should dump the air before removing the unit. They are metal and the size of what old fuel pumps used to look like. Hit him in the forehead and knocked him silly. After recovery, he put the new one on and since all of the air came out with the first one had no problem. Cranked the engine AND IT WORKED! AIR GAUGES WERE AT THEIR LIMIT WITHIN A COUPLE MINUTES. After loading and ready to leave on Monday, had another hitch. Engine light came on and so did alarm. Mechanic would not come out till next day and it was dark when we finished loading so worn out. He told us to check coolant level. Where?? We have always had service by our diesel mechanic but he was 6 months behind. Then I developed heart and lung problem and we cancelled our reservations in September and November. So it sat. Mobile mechanic came next morning and brought antifreeze and engine and alarm went off and everything checked out. We left Tuesday and stayed in Savannah for two nights. Too exhausted to keep going. WE ARE HERE NOW! Engine light and alarm back on. Think maybe after antifreeze circulated it wasn't enough and sensor intercepted the.problem. $354 for pouring in 3 gallons of antifreeze but at this point did not care. We will check it now that we know where the reservoir is located. Not worried. Parked looking at the harbor and ocean at jetties. Will be here 2 1/2 weeks. No better place to be stranded. Thanks to all. I always forget how to post a picture on here. HELP?
Were the sending units expensive? My air gauges (and fuel gauge) have been giving be problems with erratic readings for over two years. I have not been able to fix it and I am thinking maybe changing the sending units would fix them. Reading your posts has been informative for me on this issue but I didn't have the air leaks to deal with.
Thanks for any more information you can share on this.
Pete
WVPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:51 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Air suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVPete View Post
Were the sending units expensive? My air gauges (and fuel gauge) have been giving be problems with erratic readings for over two years. I have not been able to fix it and I am thinking maybe changing the sending units would fix them. Reading your posts has been informative for me on this issue but I didn't have the air leaks to deal with.
Thanks for any more information you can share on this.
Pete
We ordered the sending units from Spartan at $90 each. Paid to overnight shipping and with tax, it came to $265. We already replaced a gauge front the front of the dash. It was the one with temp/oil pressure/rpms. Replaced it last year and don't remember the price. Gauges do go bad. I am sure the gauges and sending units are available outside Spartan at a cheaper price just tired of dealing with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220110_091838.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	353910  
Bld #602376

Tags
air, suspension