Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2014, 03:41 PM   #1

Air System Service recommendation

I have my coach in for Oil and filter changes on both the engine and my generator. I just received a call that they noticed that my air system has not been serviced and that they recommend that this be performed around the 30,000 - 40,000 range. I have 42,500 on the coach. When I started questioning them about this recommendation, they simply stated that it is a recommendation only. There is no indication that there is a problem. They further stated that this service will run between $600-$700.

I am just curious as to the necessity of this service. I got the impression from the service company, that it was not that necessary. Can anyone give me your on this service?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JBrockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Jim, are you talking about the air intake system for the engine? If so then the only reason to change the filter is the restriction gauge is in the red.

Your gauge should look like this and be in the engine compartment.
Attached Images

NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Jim, also a new filter runs about $100.00 - $150.00 depending on store and filter, but it's a DIY job, and the filter lasts a long time. The only other thing is if any of the piping is rusty it should be replaced.
NHSO
Old 06-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #4

To be honest, I am not sure. They did use a Scare Tactic, stating that if the valve fails, I could loose all Air operation systems. I do have Air Brakes, but at the same time, I was not convinced that the service is necessary.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-30-2014, 04:47 PM   #5

All they are telling me is that they recommend that is service be performed between 30,000 and 40,000 miles. It just smells of a way to generate revenue. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had their Air System Service in this mileage range.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Jim, you've got to ask them which "air system" if they are talking about the pressurized air used for braking, etc. that's a whole different animal. There is a WABCO (brand) filter usually right next to the fuel filter that needs to be replaced every couple of years. The purpose of the filter is that it contains a descant that is used to keep the air lines, tanks, etc. dry. Your system will still work if the filter hasn't been changed but it will accumulate more water.
NHSO
Old 06-30-2014, 10:23 PM   #7

The OWNERS manual is your bible. Any other data is anecdotal and very likely BS!! Take the time to dig into your manual and see what the mfg recommends. They are the ones liable (ie warranty) so you know they care. The dealer only cares about making a profit. Do your homework and become a smarter, more effective owner. We (Internet) can't answer your question.
jdr159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #8

I'll bet he's talking about the air dryer. If so, then YES, it should be serviced. If you can change a fuel filter / air filter, then it's probably a DIY job. That price seems kinda high, unless it's for a new or remanufactured air dryer.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It certainly sounds to me like they're talking about the air dryer. My Monaco had a Wabco spin on that cost about $75.00 for the cartridge. I've found many people have no clue that there is a filter for the air system and that it should be changed every 2-3 years.

My new Dutch Star (Freightliner chassis) has the Bendix air dryer mounted high in the frame. I always keep spare filters, but was told that the Bendix has an expensive core value and I will wait until I'm ready to change it before buying one. Mine is also located in an area that will require a small thin boy to access and remove.

The price quoted, even with an entire air system inspection sounds VERY high. If you have the Wabco spin on, it's about a 5 minute change out. Release the air in the system, spin the filter off and wipe up the cartridge mating surface with a clean towel. There is a one inch "O" in the center of the filter housing that needs to be removed and replaced with a new one that comes with the new filter. Put a very small dab of lubricant on the new filter seal and install hand tight.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:55 PM   #10

In January, 2014 I had the two year service done at 17194 miles.
The service included Oil change (my Delo 15w40), oil filter, chassis inspection and lube, two fuel filters, coolant checked OK, Oasis serviced, fan gearbox lubricant changed (75-90w synthetic), and air dryer filter changed. Unrelated, but included on my invoice was a check of the bedroom slide operation. I have decided to service my generator and Oasis on alternating years as they are exercised but rarely used.
For comparison to your situation, this service cost me $809.
Hoping this helps. Safe travels.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #11

I just replaced the farr air filter (for the engine), and the Wabco air dryer filter (for the air brakes). I bought the filters and had a local mechanic shop install them at the same time I had new heater hoses and shocks installed. They charged an additional 1 hr labor. I usually install them myself, but I was a bit lazy this time. 2-Filters Cost 160.00 and 1 hr cost 104 total about $264 to give you an idea. I bought the filters from Spartan and e-bay this time.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #12

From Freightliner on two common air dryer systems.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Air Dryer Maintenance web version.pdf (161.5 KB, 55 views)

Tags
service