RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2019, 01:42 PM   #1

Airing up to ride height

2019 DS4018
The other day when I parked the
coach inside the garage, I dumped
the air, but did put the jacks down.
Garage is a level concrete floor.

Today when I went out, started it up, air brakes aired up but ride height did not. In other words the
air bags did not inflate.

Found I had to do an auto level sequence with the
HWH system and then once I retracted the jacks, the coach aired up.

What step am I missing to go from
manually dumping the air to getting back to ride height without
going through the auto level process?

Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2019, 02:57 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Do you have a "STD RIDE" button on the DSDP? We do on the MADP and I use it to air up.

TJ

Old 07-08-2019, 04:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Do you have a "STD RIDE" button on the DSDP? We do on the MADP and I use it to air up.

TJ

No, Dutch Star doesnít have that.
Thanks
Old 07-08-2019, 04:15 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I don't think you're missing anything. There was a tread recently started by DutchStar Don about that exact same issue and the only way he could bring the coach back to ride height after a manual air dump was to extend and retract the stabilizers. Another option is to move the coach just a few feet and it will air up immediately.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
I don't think you're missing anything. There was a tread recently started by DutchStar Don about that exact same issue and the only way he could bring the coach back to ride height after a manual air dump was to extend and retract the stabilizers. Another option is to move the coach just a few feet and it will air up immediately.

Thank you for the information! If
Don couldnít get it done, I feel better. In the future if I want to dump the air, Iíll do it via the leveling jacks.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:05 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I read in the HWH help manual that the proper procedure to follow when starting up and airing up is to push the stow button or release the parking brake. That is supposed to move the shuttle valve from the dump position to the fill/inflate position.
The shuttle valve, on my HWH 625 series, is located on a chassis cross member in front of the air tanks, FYI.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:49 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This attachment if from the 625 HWH manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HWH inflation.pdf (388.3 KB, 11 views)
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbiker45 View Post
This attachment if from the 625 HWH manual.

Thanks for posting, interesting read!
Old 07-08-2019, 10:45 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Although Ventana has equalizer system, they work similarly. If I just want to dump air, and not level, I start auto level, then push power button to stop the action, it will continue to dump air, but not do a auto level action. But I have messed up it's brain, so the next time I want to air up the coach, I have to turn on key, start coach, and retract all, or auto level again, so the coach will air up. I don't like the fact that when auto leveling, the Equalizer system dumps the air, but then raises up the coach 3-4 inches then does the level thing, and so my coach is not "down" it is still higher up then I like. I am going to stop AL, and then let it dump air, and manually level the unit, then it will be lower to the ground and level too. That first step to the MH it too high for the BH, having it lower will help her get into unit.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
John.....I had the same issue. I park alongside my house on level concrete and have always manually dumped my previous coaches. The first time I did this with the 2019, it wouldn't air up. I tried everything people suggested, like putting it in gear, releasing the brake etc.

On MINE, it just won't air up unless I operate the jacks. They changed something from my 2014 to my 2019. It's not a big issue, now that I know. I do one of two things. I either leave it alone and let the coach drop by itself over a few days or deploy the jacks and then auto store when they're done. I don't like interrupting the process mid deployment, as that can possibly cause issues too.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:56 AM   #11

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renipladlo View Post
Although Ventana has equalizer system, they work similarly. If I just want to dump air, and not level, I start auto level, then push power button to stop the action, it will continue to dump air, but not do a auto level action. But I have messed up it's brain, so the next time I want to air up the coach, I have to turn on key, start coach, and retract all, or auto level again, so the coach will air up. I don't like the fact that when auto leveling, the Equalizer system dumps the air, but then raises up the coach 3-4 inches then does the level thing, and so my coach is not "down" it is still higher up then I like. I am going to stop AL, and then let it dump air, and manually level the unit, then it will be lower to the ground and level too. That first step to the MH it too high for the BH, having it lower will help her get into unit.
You may wish to investigate to see if there are adjustments for the equalizer. Our coach does not lift as you describe; only enough to get level. On a good level site itís significantly below travel height.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
John.....I had the same issue. I park alongside my house on level concrete and have always manually dumped my previous coaches. The first time I did this with the 2019, it wouldn't air up. I tried everything people suggested, like putting it in gear, releasing the brake etc.

On MINE, it just won't air up unless I operate the jacks. They changed something from my 2014 to my 2019. It's not a big issue, now that I know. I do one of two things. I either leave it alone and let the coach drop by itself over a few days or deploy the jacks and then auto store when they're done. I don't like interrupting the process mid deployment, as that can possibly cause issues too.

Thanks Don! Thats how I have
decided to handle going forward.
First time it happened I admit, I had a sinking feeling that something was wrong with the system. I cycled the jacks and all was good.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:15 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
John...…I park mine on a slab next to the house, but I have to back p a steep 25' ramp to get there. When it happened the first time I went to air up, after bringing it home form the dealer, my heart sank too! I had immediate thoughts that I already had a broken coach and I hadn't even used it yet.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, ride height