Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2015, 07:14 PM   #1

All-Electric Newbie Question

When traveling down the road, can I run the residential fridge off the inverter or do I need to have the generator running?
dr.perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
You can run it off of the inverter. The only time I run my generator is when my wife wants to use the stove or if we want to run an air conditioner. A lot of times we will fix something in the crock pot and run it off the inverter while we are traveling.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Either will work, what you do will depend on the state of your coach batteries and your anticipated usage of them.

Ron & Kathy
2015 Dutch Star 4369
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:56 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
The alternator should put out plenty of amps to keep the batteries charged. I know that when we arrive somewhere after a long day, the batteries seem to be fully charged. I have ran the RF, and two outdoor fridge/freezers at the same time. The residential fridge and one of the outdoors were both running on 110V from the inverter. The other outdoor was running on 12V.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:05 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We have successfully run the fridge, the microwave and a table top induction burner without issue. We will be using a slow cooker on the next trip.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:50 AM   #6

We have never shut our inverter off, except to test the off feature.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:48 AM   #7

I believe that the alternator puts out 200 amps at 12 volts. Assuming that you have the standard inverter the max load is limited to roughly 2800 watts pending the output split between the house and chassis battery charging rates.

The inverters can also pull from the house bats at the same time if required. So if the stove, refer and other items are connected to the inverter 120 volt crkts you just need to limit the demand to less than the 2800 watts.

Refer and s slow cooker are no problem but if you want to run the refer, elec coffee maker and microwave the power system may go into load shedding.

FYI that the AC system is not wired into the inverter. The load (roughly +13 amps running load) Would be too much for the system (in addition to the other discretionary loads) and quickly drain your house bats.
Bill-MACV21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:00 AM   #8

BTW welcome to the thread and the Newmar fan club.

All elec. is a good choice. I have owned a few propane rigs and my MADP is my first all elec. rig. I was surprised and very pleased with how it operates. Especial the elec. stove. Heats quickly and does are great job vs my tried and true propane rigs.

Errrr, since I just saw that you joined in 2008 my comments may be off base but welcome anyways.....
Bill-MACV21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags