Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2020, 11:38 AM   #1

All Knowledgable Newmarites

I have a bit of a problem. I'm scheduled to leave my campground tomorrow and have full grey and black tanks. I went out side this morning to empty tanks and I can't get my wet bay door open. Even using the key unlocks the latch, but the latch doesn't open the door. The cable to which the latch is attached must be broken.

Does anyone know how the open a door in this situation. Newmar tech says by wedging the bottom of the door out, a long screwdriver can be used to trip the latch, but after i looked carefully at another door, I don't see how this can be accomplished. The inside door latch is completely covered and protected by a black plastic guard and access to the latch is blocked.

I have an appointment at Newmar on Monday and I don't see any other option other than cutting the sewer and water hoses (both black and grew valves are closed).

Help.
gjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2020, 11:44 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/wet...en-455243.html

Try this link I believe it will help. Good luck
Boilervol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:53 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Open the door just ahead of it. You'll be able to see the hinges of the wet bay door. The hinges are a pin with a cotter pin holding the hinge pin in place. Twist the pins until you can access the the cotter pin ends and flatten them out. Once flattened, twist the pin around again and pull the cotter pins. You can now remove the hinge pins. You may have to drive them up or down with a screwdriver.

Precautions.....tape the wet bay door in place, so it doesn't flop around when the pins come out. It will be easier if someone helps support the door as you open it from the hinge side. The door will open enough that you'll be able to reach in and disconnect the latch. I'm guessing your cable came loose. There is a post on how to repair and solve the cable coming loose issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:28 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the wire isn’t off it could be the actuator. This happened to me once and Newmar said to turn off the chassis batteries and it may reset the actuator leave off for about 5 minutes but that didn’t work. Got the door open from the other compartment with a screwdriver and unplugged the actuator and could lock the lock with the key. Newmar sent me a new actuator and was an easy fix. You can also order one from Amazon.
Switt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:32 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think its the actuator as I can hear it actuate in the door when Im right at the door.

DSD, as always, you are right on it. Those cotter pins are very accessible and look easy to remove. However, i was afraid of supporting that long door as I take out the door hinge pins as I am without help. I am committed to making my appt at Newmar on Monday as it was the earliest appt when I booked it in May.

I managed to bag the end of my sewer hose, and tuck the hose with sleeve and end fitting through the port in the floor of the wet bay floor. I'll next duct tape the whole closed incase some of my hose decides to come through while driving. I'll check it every so often of course. As for the water hose, I think I'll curl it up into the electrical bay, put it through the keeper for the electrical cord and secure it so it doesn't spill out during travel.

Thanks again for the suggestion. If I wasn't already scheduled at Newmar, I'd be taking the door off.
gjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:06 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
All Knowledgable Newmarites

When all my power locks froze up on my 15 DS, I used a “slim Jim” to come thru the bottom seal
and up to the cable loop. A little tricky but with some patience and a little time, it will work.Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	298103
I found mine at Advance Automotive but should be available at most car parts stores.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:18 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"gjos".....I didn't mean to scare you about the door, it's not that heavy. It's just that I like to be careful so I don't damage the paint. If you put a couple of pieces of Gorilla tape horizontally, above and below the latch, across the opening, the door won't go anywhere. The Gorilla tape will act like a hinge, when you pull the pins on the other side.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:27 PM   #8

Thank you for this post!!! After reading the issues people are having I decided to check all the cargo doors on our 2019. I did need to tighten all of the alien screws, but I also found loose screw and missing screws. I also found a wire to an actuator that had come out of the connection and therefore it was not working. Therefore I only thought I was locking all the cargo doors. I will now frequently check the locks with the key and to make sure the actuators are working properly.
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:33 AM   #9

These doors have always been a concern for me. I recently purchased all new and longer cables ( all of them were to short ) I added a cable locks to all of them and the doors that I can't get to I added a pull cable. On all the doors with the black cover I made that access hole a little bigger so I can get my finger in there to pop open door. But not to big for something to hit it and open it.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...1&d=1598283040
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4574.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	298441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4575.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	298442  

96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote