Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2009, 10:27 AM   #1

Given these two options for layout and a family of two adults and two young kids, what is the better way to go?

Thanks!
boat4life Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2009, 11:14 AM   #2

Kurt, we have been mailing direct but I want to post it here also for the benefit of others.
-----------------
Kurt,

This one is a Ford/Chevy kind of debate. It is really which fits YOU better. The plus for my plan over bunks is that the kids have a room not a slot in the wall. They have space to play and not be under your feet. Those are things that the bunk does not offer. Another big difference is that we have more useable space for storage than a bunk model offers because of the double use of the space.

Now some of the negatives that I hear. The big one is privacy. In the bunk, you usually have a door to split the bedroom. Not to get too personal but in this plan you have to be more silent while engaging in adult activities that with a bunk model. Also, you lose the outside storage space. Finally, people feel that the loft is not good for older children and opt for the bunks.

As I started, it is a matter of weighing the positive features of each to get the one that will fit your lifestyle the best.
-----------------

Wife, 3 kids, and mother-in-law
Nathan Focht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Most of the owners seem to really like the old loft design (3950/51) but according to a few that have seen it, the new loft (4159) is pretty much unusable because there's not enough clearance in the upper portion. So from a practical point of view you might not have a real choice other than going with the bunk beds simply because even if you wanted to buy one, not very many 3950/51s were produced so it could be quite difficult to find a used one.

Personally, I really like the old loft design so I'm partial to that one: I prefer the twins to a bunk and I like that the kids have there own 'space' but there are some drawbacks: only 1 slide and master bedroom not as spacious. The bunks really is an efficient use of space and you end up with a much larger master. With the bunks, you're not limited to the All Star / mid-engine (nothing against it but Newmar also has several DPs with bunks).

Another aspect to consider is the safety of bunks - I plan on eventually getting a bunkhouse (mostly because I suspect finding a 3950 when we're ready to buy is not likely) but there is a higher risk of accidents with bunks. Safety groups suggest that the top bunk shouldn't be used by children under 6, you do have to watch for the maximum rated weight, you should have a safety barrier that extends at least 5" above the mattress (not sure how high Newmar's is but at least they actually have one) and the bunk should be a place to sleep not play.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:53 AM   #4

Without a doubt 4156! Two bedrooms, make the rear the master, bunks or whatever in the front. Third AC, private entrance, stack W/D, much larger(4 slides), etc. etc.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi boat4life Kurt,
Welcome to iRV2. The advice already provided is very good. For 2 months of the year I travel with a 13, 11 and 8 year old grand children (boy girl, boy). For your situation these are my comments on the AllStar floorplans:

4154 - Bunks are good but there may be better choices.

4156 and 4257 might be better solutions. Your can have Newmar make the back of the coach anyway you want it.

4159 - The loft is useless. 25 inches from floor to ceiling. Put a matress in there and your have only 20 inches to the ceiling. That's just not enough room for any size human.

4480, 4481, 4483, 4484 These might be worth a look. Each kid gets their own captain's chair. There is a game table in the cockpit. The rear living area is much larger than a front living area coach. There is a rear door. The negative is one must break down the living area furniture for beds.

The bottom line is what Nathan posted. It is what suits your lifestyle (and irritation level) the best.

There are three different ways the floor plan will be used.
Travel
Daytime and evening living.
Sleeping

Think about these three modes you'll depend on the floor plan to keep your sanity. Make your priorities and the decision will become much easier.

Take your time and the best of luck.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome boat4life Kurt to the Newmar forum and irv2.
It can get confusing this link Newmar Corp and this link will allow you to built your own NEW NEWMAR
Happy hunting.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #7

I have a Ventana with bunks. The clearance problem makes the loft a no-go for me. You also lose the big underneath storage area.

I have some buyer's remorse that I didn't go with the All Star with bunks because you get the 2 extra captain's chairs with a table.

The Imagination Room floorplan looks GREAT for young kids. Put bunks in the 1 slide and still have a nice play area.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #8

We have the All-Star 4159 and LOVE it. We have a big family (3 kids under 5) and the 4159 gives everyone their own bed.

The loft has plenty of clearance to read, sleep, or watch tv. It is too short to sit up in bed - but our kids don't spend a lot of time sitting up in bed . . . . If they want to hang out and sit up in bed - they have the master bedroom and the lofts.

2 queen beds + 2 bunks = 6 sleeping spots. The door between the back bedrooms and living area effectively gives us a 3 bedroom home that we can separate from the living room with a sliding door.

We have yet to see a floorplan that would work this well for our family.
Rollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Rollins family to the Newmar forum and irv2.
Thanks for joining in the discussion DO post often and enjoy the forums.
Congrats on your ALL-STAR 4159 many safe miles and happy travels.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:10 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Rollins,
Welcome to iRV2. Also welcome to the Newmar owners family. It's great that the 4159 works for your family. If you'd like to meet other Newmar owners go here to learn about the Newmar Kountry Klub. It is a social klub for owners of Newmar products.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:48 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Rollins:
We have the All-Star 4159 and LOVE it. We have a big family (3 kids under 5) and the 4159 gives everyone their own bed.

The loft has plenty of clearance to read, sleep, or watch tv. It is too short to sit up in bed - but our kids don't spend a lot of time sitting up in bed . . . . If they want to hang out and sit up in bed - they have the master bedroom and the lofts.

2 queen beds + 2 bunks = 6 sleeping spots. The door between the back bedrooms and living area effectively gives us a 3 bedroom home that we can separate from the living room with a sliding door.

We have yet to see a floorplan that would work this well for our family.
Hi, if you have some pics of your 4159, I'd love to see them. I haven't actually any pictures of it other than the floorplan from their website and some pics that Nathan took of a unit under construction.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
michelb welcome to the Newmar forum, been looking for your ALL-STAR 4159 none at dealers but this LINK WILL GIVE SOME pictures and you can also build your own.
The Newmar topics above have many dealers listed so one maybe near you, have fun and good luck in your venture.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #13

Welcome Rollins. Did you get your from Aloha RV? I believe that is the only one built (to my knowledge). If so, the pics I took were in your coach at the factory.

This is a perfect example that there is a coach for everyone. We have the 3950 and had high hopes for the 4159 but it did not fit our wants.

Enjoy the new coach and have safe travels.

Wife, 3 kids, and mother-in-law
Nathan Focht is offline   Reply With Quote