Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2021, 03:41 PM   #1
BnB

Ford Super Duty Owner
Aluminum Wrap?

Hello All, I have a question reference the above topic…. Aluminum Wrap. I have some stress cracks along the fiberglass roof where the awning screws attach to the roof. Newmar has been great about wanting to fix it and make it right! They have given me a couple options and one of them is this Aluminum Wrap. When I asked the CS rep what that was he explained the following: “ Concerning Option #2 - the aluminum wrap overlay,
· It is a 1 piece 14” wide aluminum sheeting that extends the length of the roof.
· It is secured to the side wall of the coach and then rolled over the top of the fiberglass radius roof.
· Once the aluminum is secured in place, The aluminum will be painted.”

So my question are any of you familiar with this process and should I be considering it as a fix?
Thanks in advance. Bill
BnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2021, 07:33 AM   #2

What you are describing sounds like how my Ventana came from the factory. Due to the length of the coach, there are two or three sections of Aluminum that are rolled over the sidewall/roof junction.

tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:14 AM   #3
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Hello Bill,

The first thing I would do is find out why it cracked. Was it to tight? Was something moving on top to cause it to crack? And are they small stress cracks on the surface of the roof? Or do they go all the way through the filon (fiberglass roof)???

And if you have it repaired that way, what kind of warranty comes with that?

And while they are up there make sure they check out all the seals...

Have a great day...

Mike Burns
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration
Paint & Body Manager
770-679-7990
Mike Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 03:56 PM   #4

BnB, I just had this done on my CS 36' due to some radius cracks. Newmar paid a top notch repair facility (Seattle, WA) to do the fix. Newmar shipped them a complete kit with 2 rolls of 40' aluminum. It is a very labor intensive job requiring a whole team to do it properly. (Newmar actually uses whole wall scaffolding during the repair). It looks great and I will never have to worry about any more flex or radius cracking. It is tucked under the front & rear caps. Both side drains and awnings removed then screwed back on. Top seam also screwed on with a good bead of self leveling caulking over the top. Hope this is helpful.
Kshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:14 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
What you are describing sounds like how my Ventana came from the factory. Due to the length of the coach, there are two or three sections of Aluminum that are rolled over the sidewall/roof junction.
Tnedator, in 2019 there was an option on the Ventana for a full fiberglass roof instead of the standard BriteTEK. I'm assuming you have the BriteTEK and that's why you have that configuration.

BnB, I assume from your write-up that your CS has the optional 1-piece fiberglass roof. Can you include a picture of your cracks? I just 5 weeks ago started this thread https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/car...ss-544244.html and reported a similar thing to Newmar on my '19 Ventana with full fiberglass. I only have 2 of those cracks and I'm still working to get scheduled at Newmar, but so far they haven't offered up what they would do as a fix. Right now my cracks are covered in Dicor in case they are through the fiberglass.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandDescape View Post
Tnedator, in 2019 there was an option on the Ventana for a full fiberglass roof instead of the standard BriteTEK. I'm assuming you have the BriteTEK and that's why you have that configuration.

BnB, I assume from your write-up that your CS has the optional 1-piece fiberglass roof. Can you include a picture of your cracks? I just 5 weeks ago started this thread https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/car...ss-544244.html and reported a similar thing to Newmar on my '19 Ventana with full fiberglass. I only have 2 of those cracks and I'm still working to get scheduled at Newmar, but so far they haven't offered up what they would do as a fix. Right now my cracks are covered in Dicor in case they are through the fiberglass.

- Richard
Yes, I opted for britetek mostly thinking it would be quieter in rain storms, but I'm not sure that's the case.

Assumed this is close to the fix they are proposing, so posted picture so he could see what it would look like.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:17 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Yes, I opted for britetek mostly thinking it would be quieter in rain storms, but I'm not sure that's the case.

Assumed this is close to the fix they are proposing, so posted picture so he could see what it would look like.
Yes I'm hoping they told BnB how they would secure that upper flat edge and also if they will disclose how they will prevent cracks from continuing to grow (the aluminum just covers them).

Also I wonder what the other option is.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 08:37 AM   #8

I have an older Beaver/Safari with a one piece FG roof. I'd had problems with wall leaks and removed my gutters to figure out why.

If Newmar does what Beaver did when assembling - the roof is probably 1/2 in wider than the sidewalls to allow for manufacturing tolerances. In some places there's virtually no gap, in others nearly 1/4". When the roof is riveted to the sidewalls the rivet pull will try to close that gap (up to the breaking strength of the nail).

The rivets that hold the roof to the sidewalls now have to compress the roof to the sidewall because they don't put spacers between the two to prevent over compression.

On my coach, they used 3/16 aircraft rivets and in several places the roof over-compressed and cracked. This was made worse because of the sloppy trim job done to the roof edges so in a few cases the rivets were too close to the edge and the area broke out and left the roof with nothing fastening it there.

There was not much of a fix that could be done other than drilling out the rivets, measuring the gap, and then stacking washers to close some of the gap.

I don't see how the cracking will stop. The aluminum is just a weather/appearance cover. To stop the cracking you'd have to turn it into stressed skin with nice rivet lines and an aerospace adhesive underneath.

You can sometimes stop stress cracks by drilling a small hole at the end, say 1/8 or so. They ought to do that and fill the hole with a flexible sealant.
Old 08-15-2021, 03:35 PM   #9
BnB

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey y’all thanks for the great reply’s! Let me see if I can answer all your questions.
1. Yes it’s a one piece fiberglass roof.
2. Mike Burns, All the cracks are emanating from the small screws that run along full length of the awning that holds the awning to the roof. Don’t appear to be deep cracks. The seals you refer to I assume are just generally the vents etc? I do spend to much time on my roof, that’s how I found the cracks, and I do clean and seal once a year. I had a similar issue, probably worse, while it was under warranty whereas the cracks came from the large bolts holding the awning arms to the roof. Newmar took it all apart fixed the fiberglass and did a beautiful job which has not reoccurred for over 2 years.
3. KShock, what you describe sounds exactly what they want to do! Where you happy w/ That fix?
4. Tnedator - that’s what I would imagine the repair would look like.
5. RandDescape - I think the picture Tnedator supplied is what they do and that’s what concerns me that I will end up with screws around and new stress crack from them? They had me check the whole roof edge to see if there were any more cracks and there aren’t.
6. So the other options were, 1. Have the fiberglass repaired, 2. Aluminum Wrap and 3. replace the whole roof at a discount rate of $6000 The first 2 are Customer Goodwill repairs.
Currently I’m looking at just having the fiberglass repaired, since I had such a good result the first time. The other 2 options seem like overkill?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	47241C6E-7159-4A38-BBA6-ED810787D125.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	576.1 KB
ID:	339669  
Old 08-15-2021, 03:42 PM   #10
BnB

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandDescape View Post

- Richard
Richard I did look at your post/pictures. As you can see from my picture, it’s the same deal. I have 10 or 12 cracks of various sizes and have a 7 day appointment at Newmar for October 2021.
Old 08-16-2021, 01:33 PM   #11

I am very pleased with the repair. Not only will I not have to worry about future radius cracks, it has also added strength & durability to the fiberglass radius.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RadiusCrackFix - 1.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	339777  
Kshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 01:45 PM   #12

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
tnedator, You have a real nice coach for sure (and garage to park in), as I was looking at the very large picture you shared, I see that some of the bolts appear to have worked their way loose. I would highly suggest you seal them all and\or get bolts with a rubber washer at its base as the channel the bolts are in appears that it could hold rainwater and then work its way under the bolts and get water between the walls of your RV. Just an observation to share. Safe Travels, CA
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	alum-roof-bolts.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	339780  
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 02:08 PM   #13

Our previous Allegro Bus came from the factory with the aluminum wrap turned up over the fiberglass roof. It does create a water dam that requires the sealant be monitored often. A little Eternabond along with lap sealant at the edges goes a long way toward alleviating that concern. At least for me it did. Those long straight runs are perfect for Eternabond installation. With all of the screws in the termination bar in TNEDATOR's reply, I would absolutely put a flexible sealing strip of some type over the bar. A bit of a belt and suspenders approach to keeping water out of that joint.
Old 08-17-2021, 05:04 AM   #14
BnB

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshock View Post
I am very pleased with the repair. Not only will I not have to worry about future radius cracks, it has also added strength & durability to the fiberglass radius.
That’s a great looking roof and that wrap does look nice! Thanks for the pic, I was going to ask. One more large thing to keep cleaned and caulked for sure.
Do you find it causes a water dam?
I suppose when they did that extensive of a repair, they put you out of the rig?
As a sidebar, what is that mounted just behind the front A/C?