Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2019, 08:08 AM   #29

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
The outside TV came with our rig. Would have preferred an outdoor kitchen.
For us, the outdoor TV would not be used where it was so I removed it and reinstalled it in the bedroom.
The space it came out of is very shallow so using it for storage is really limited. But, I have some ideas for building a fold out table that I can use for my portable induction cooktop. That way I will have a partial outdoor kitchen. 😊
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2019, 02:55 PM   #30

We recently bought a new 5th wheel and it had an outside TV. We gave the TV away and removed the mount. Yes, it is a shallow storage space. But, I have found that it is adequate for some important items that are not used frequently. In my case, I put my cold weather equipment for keeping my water hose from freezing in cold weather. Until now, I have always begrudged the space for heat tape, pipe wrap (in case there is a tall stand pipe) and things of this nature. It sucks to wake up and have no water because your outside hose froze so I keep these items with me. Now they are out of the way.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #31

Never understood the reason for OUTSIDE tv.

Why bother ? Why are people OUT there ?

But, for storing fishing tackle or other outdoor stuff..........yeah.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:40 PM   #32

I personally don’t even have an indoor tv. We bring laptop trot the odd DVD, or maybe something on Netflix if we had the foresight to download something or we are in a place with internet. But watching TV isn’t high on my priority list when out, especially outside ( I can usually find about 100 things to do outside before firing up a tv or radio crosses my mind). I’m also one to get annoyed at idiots in earshot blaring music or movies half the night , wherever I’m stopping in. I tolerate it sometimes, but it is really annoying when your trying to sleep before a predawn fishing or hunting outing, but you can’t because the idiots two bays down are drinking, yelling and blaring crap out of their speakers at 95 decibels...

All that being said, I can see how the extra little bit of space can come in handy. Only, for the added price, I’m sure I could find a way to make it myself for much cheaper.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:51 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Reminder, the suggestion is having the compartment whether for TV or not. It would make a great storage compartment.
Exactly! I removed (and donated to a needy family) our outside TV and converted the space to a full electronics bay to support our work and entertainment needs. I'm *so* glad to have a dedicated closet to handle the NAS, the Plex server, the WiFi, the cable modem, and their UPS's. Plus, a totally appropriate storage for the myriad cables, chargers, power adapters, and the like.

I think I watched a ballgame exactly once on the outside TV and realized, the space was worth more than the entertainment value.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:28 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We use them all the time when we are tailgating at football games!
Old 02-17-2019, 05:32 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
I'm sure the neighbors appreciate the outside TV.
Guess that would depend on what's on, wouldn't it?
Old 02-17-2019, 05:49 PM   #36

I agree - I'd far prefer to watch TV in a folding chair with the bugs biting me than inside where there's a sofa, surround sound, and air conditioning.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:14 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Once again, many of you fail to read the OP which is use the space for storage. This is NOT about watching TV outside and whether you like it or not.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:46 PM   #38

Send a message via Skype™ to SkipperJupp
Smile Mobile Outside TV

Go on Ebay and buy A/V transmitter
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4Ghz-150m...0Cu:rk:46:pf:0
(30 bucks) mount it on the backside of inside TV (A/V out), and receiver on outside TV you have TV anywhere you want it.Range about umpty feet. Done with it, and it goes back behind the cloth in the cabinet.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:32 PM   #39

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This comment isn’t aimed at you, NealC, it’s bearing is on the issue of exterior entertainment systems. The idea of camping or glamping is getting away from it. Nothing is more annoying than someone sitting up late into the night watching stupid reality tv shows, or having the 24/7 news bobble heads talking about some stupid politician. The glare from a big LED tv can be seen for a mile, and then there’s sound system. WHY DO WE HAVE TO HEAR & SEE WHAT YOU WANT all over the quiet, peaceful camp ground? It’s all a matter of respect, I don’t understand why coach builders are pushing such an annoying item. But enough of my rant. Why pay for an exterior system just to take it out for the availibity of extra space? Ask the coach builder to custom build you more space w/o a tv in it.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:49 PM   #40

I have as much use for an outside TV as I do for pockets in my underwear.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:56 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
It’s very inconsiderate to use outside the coach a tv or stereo, while ina campground with other people only few yards away from you. In two years, I have opened the door on the outside tv once, to see what is in there.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:40 AM   #42

One small point many are missing is that having an outside tv bay isn't space that comes from out of the blue - thee is something that otherwise would have occupied that space in a model sans outside tv. There is no free ride.
Closed Thread