Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2016, 11:52 PM   #1

Am I Making a Mistake? Essex purchase

Hello. New to the forum. Great resource. Appreciate all the input from the community.

Making an offer on a 2008 Essex with eplex. After reading the comments on the forum about eplex obsolescence issues, I am concerned I am making a mistake in not purchasing a coach with Silverleaf. Eplex in the coach works so it is currently functional. Should I go forward with the purchase? Thanks in advance for the input.
Miked2145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2016, 03:27 AM   #2

Miked2145-

If you haven't already read it, here's a link to a current iRV2 thread on E-Plex to Silverleaf conversion for you.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:13 AM   #3

I have An Essex 2008 and had same concerns as you. To get one with silver leaf was out of what I wanted to spend. Went on with the idea that as system changes replacements are made I would take items off Eplex. Works for me and much cheaper. So far AC and inverter no longer on Eplex. Oasis will be an easy change but at this point works great so no need.

Good luck with what ever way you go. The Essex is a real nice rig.

Enjoy
Trapper2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:33 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2 Mike.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for you with info on E-Plex use.
In QT's # 3 there are threads on E-Plex also.
You can go to this link and look up info on any TSB for the system and other items you may want to know.
All the links below in my signature have info for any Newmar.
If all this is not enough use this link to fine your way around the COM_NET Network.
We have many older owners of every type Newmar enjoying the RV lifestyle, older Newmars seem to last for ever.
Good luck in your decision.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:39 AM   #5

E-plex has challenges, but nothing that I consider a show stopper. A 2008 Essex is nearly 9 years old. Many components are ending their useful life (ACs, inverter, tank sensors, Aquahot, etc). Since you are considering a coach of this age, you should be prepared for these upgrades.

E-plex can be eliminated by adding control panels to the various devices; several of us have done this. The new prospect of replacing e-plex with silverleaf is interesting. But, since I already have most of my systems off eplex, a silverleaf upgrade will be more about convenience than functionality.

Consider this perspective. A 2008 Mtn Aire does not have e-plex... all the systems are independent and the coach functions just fine. As I remove e-plex functionality, I am making my Essex function more like a Mtn Aire.

Also, an Essex with Silverleaf is probably 2012 or newer will cost significantly more.

> Should I go forward with the purchase?
I had similar concerns when I made my purchase. 18 months later, I am happy with my Essex. I have had more problems with my Turbo, EGR valve, slides and Hydrohot.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:11 AM   #6
4x4

Newmar Owners Club
It's my Essex that is currently getting upgraded to Silverleaf. Knowing what I do now I would negotiate the price down with the cost of replacing the E-Plex into the purchase price. The costly issue with the replacement is you'll also have to replace all three air conditioners if you want to integrate them with Silverleaf. Since I already replaced one and have had problems with the other two 10 year old air conditioners it was a non issue to replace them. The other major cost was I was not happy running a MSW inverter so had it swapped out for a new hybrid PSW inverter. If you can get it for $5k less that is a good start but getting $10k off would be better.
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:34 AM   #7

I was also faced with this decision 16 months ago. Here was my thinking:
1) The newer rigs (2011 and newer) have DPF and DEF systems that cause FAR more issues than units which don't have them (older coaches). In my case (2007 Essex) money will fix the E-Plex problem and I'm done. With the emissions problems, they basically never go away no matter what you spend, not to mention the impact to your vacation.

2) The newer units also have Full Wall Slides (FWS). These systems when they were first released have a TON of issues. In most cases money won't fix this either, you're stuck with it.

3) The newer units have the grind up toilets which have a ton more issues.

4) I have been told that the engine my coach has was the best most reliable made for RVs that Cummin's made. I'm told it is high sought after for that reason.

Will I have to update / up grade my AC's, Aqua Hot, etc . . . Ya, at some point. My coach was apparently very well taken care of because mine are still going strong. At least I can fix my issues with money. I can take care of them and not have to worry about them again for a long time.

Over all the E-Plex issue is minor compared to all the other newer coach issues I keep hearing about.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:32 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
We purchased a 2009 Essex earlier this year and had the same concerns. I am slowly getting everything off Eplex even though most if not all was working. As mentioned previously pretty easy to do and not that expensive compared to a later model coach with Silverleaf. I would not hesitate to purchase the coach if it has the right floorplan for you. The Cummins 500 HP with the Allison 4000 is what really sets this coach apart from others.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:11 PM   #9

Thanks to everyone for their counsel and insights. Recognize now that I do have viable options. Will be very interested in following 4x4s conversion. Again, thanks to all who took the time to respond.
Cummins X15
Miked2145 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase