Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2021, 10:23 AM   #1

Question Am I Nuts?

So as I watch and learn more about the Crazy RV industry I have to sometimes think I am nuts. I mean what other large purchase have I ever made and been this abused in my decision. I know it is no one single company or persons fault, but WOW, my coach has been in the shop for almost as long as it has been in my possession. Can’t get parts to fix factory induced problems, Can’t find dealers that have a work force with the expertise to address some of my issues, and the factories (Newmar and Spartan) can’t get me in for repairs for months. I do think I screwed up and selected going with Spartan. I really like the coach, and the Spartan design on things, but I can’t find a dealer near me that works on them, including the dealer I bought the coach from who assured me they could. Buyer beware I guess!
I recently had to cancel a trip to Spartan for one of their week long Academy training class, because my local dealer could not get my coach back to me to make the trip. The issue is the hydraulic system burst on the full wall slide, which sounds like is the same pump used for the leveling system and the slide is stuck or wedged half in and half out in the rear of the coach. The dealer is doing what they can, but I am one of dozens of owners all wanting problems addressed and they can’t even get trained people to work. Are we crazy, I hope not, but I do have to wonder why I have stepped off this cliff? My saving grace is my coach was built in 2019, model year is 2020, so I keep relining, hoping it was before all the craziness started. Until the slide issue came up the only real concern was a water leak in my peg board bay. All the other issues I have had with my Dutch Star were in my mind fairly minor, lights going out, fuses blown....... I am wishing, hoping, preying, that once I get it back it will only be normal day to day wear and maintenance issues to deal with.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
lrwinddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2021, 02:17 PM   #2

Man that makes me nervous. Our 2017 VTDP was a near perfect coach with almost no issues in 4 years of ownership. Unfortunately it was totaled last week and we are heading down to order a Dutch Star 4081. I hope this not a mistake……….
Old 09-13-2021, 04:09 PM   #3

That has to be just a little depressing to pay so much for a top end coach and the problems seem endless. As TomandGloria said above my 2016 VTDP has seen very few issues, and most of them were small. I hope you get everything taken care of and are able to enjoy your coach once everything gets fixed.
JMcG
2016 VTDP 3725
JMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:46 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think this is an issue with everything today. You cannot go to the grocery store without a shortage on something. Pretty disappointing across the board.
Chargersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:23 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
For Spartan service have you used their app or website to look for service centers?

In my case about 35miles from me is a Spartan authorized device shop that specializes in Emergency Vehicles. Given Spartan’s heritage there is bound to be a place within driving distance for you that works on fire trucks. Give them a call.

In the 3 years I’ve been using my local place I have always gotten an appointment within a week. Think about the municipal governments they do work for, the fire department needs a reliable shop that doesn’t cost a fortune and won’t have the engine for a month.

The shop I use (EVS in Hagerstown MD) is always full of Rescue vehicles with a few RVs around to round out the parking lot.

Worth a few phone calls to see if you can find similar.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:06 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
NIRVC in Atlanta is an authorized Spartan service center and they are currently doing my Spartan recall. If you are close to Dallas check with them. I suspect while they are authorized Spartan service centers I would think they have their limitations.
Chargersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:52 AM   #7

I fall more in love with my '16 every day. Sorry to hear of your problems. It might make sense at some point to cut bait and get in line for the factory even if your local still has it. Claim a spot.

J
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:08 AM   #8

Thanks everyone. I had an appointment with the factory I had to cancel because my local dealer could not get my coach back to me. I was contacted by NIRVC this morning after one of their team members saw this post. They are about 5 hours from me. I have used the Spartan app. There is a local shop, nearby, but they are booked out over 6 months. There are also a couple of shops north of me in TN I will contact once I know when I will have my coach. I have the feeling it is going to be a while longer before they know when they will have the parts, (coming from Neymar’s supplier directly) and then I will undertake the challenge of the recalls and warranty repairs.
I made this post to see if I was the only person dealing with these things. If you read the many post on the form you can see many many people dealing with quality and service issues. I understand it is simply the world we live in, but on the same token wanted to know if I was being to hard or expecting to much. I don’t think I am, but most of all I did get serval ideas on how to deal with some of my issues. To that, I say thank you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-14-2021, 08:20 AM   #9

This is a world wide issue, not just in the world of RVs. When our home LG refrigerator went out for the 2nd time in less than 5 years, LG told us the compressor was under warranty, but the rest of the parts and labor would cost us almost $900, that it might take 6 weeks to get the parts, and that we should just trash the refrigerator we paid $2,800 and go get a new one. (We did, but it sure wasn't an LG. )

I have ordered a few things for my truck and my trailer in the past year, it took weeks to get something that should have been off the shelf.

This past weekend, Tyler State Park had signs on the door Sunday that there were no boat rentals because of a staff shortage. Who would have ever thought you couldn't' get people to work a state park?
Old 09-14-2021, 12:37 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrwinddancer View Post
So as I watch and learn more about the Crazy RV industry I have to sometimes think I am nuts. I mean what other large purchase have I ever made and been this abused in my decision. I know it is no one single company or persons fault, but WOW, my coach has been in the shop for almost as long as it has been in my possession. Can’t get parts to fix factory induced problems, Can’t find dealers that have a work force with the expertise to address some of my issues, and the factories (Newmar and Spartan) can’t get me in for repairs for months. I do think I screwed up and selected going with Spartan. I really like the coach, and the Spartan design on things, but I can’t find a dealer near me that works on them, including the dealer I bought the coach from who assured me they could. Buyer beware I guess!
I recently had to cancel a trip to Spartan for one of their week long Academy training class, because my local dealer could not get my coach back to me to make the trip. The issue is the hydraulic system burst on the full wall slide, which sounds like is the same pump used for the leveling system and the slide is stuck or wedged half in and half out in the rear of the coach. The dealer is doing what they can, but I am one of dozens of owners all wanting problems addressed and they can’t even get trained people to work. Are we crazy, I hope not, but I do have to wonder why I have stepped off this cliff? My saving grace is my coach was built in 2019, model year is 2020, so I keep relining, hoping it was before all the craziness started. Until the slide issue came up the only real concern was a water leak in my peg board bay. All the other issues I have had with my Dutch Star were in my mind fairly minor, lights going out, fuses blown....... I am wishing, hoping, preying, that once I get it back it will only be normal day to day wear and maintenance issues to deal with.

What did you find was the leak in your pegboard bay?

Thanks
Bill Bélanger
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
What did you find was the leak in your pegboard bay?

Thanks
Bill Bélanger
Howdy Bill, I have not been able to investgate, the coach is still at the dealer. As soon as I get it home I will pull the board and see what I can find. I am hoping it is one of the tanks or tank lines.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-14-2021, 01:00 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrwinddancer View Post
Howdy Bill, I have not been able to investgate, the coach is still at the dealer. As soon as I get it home I will pull the board and see what I can find. I am hoping it is one of the tanks or tank lines.

I had the problem when my tank filled to 100%, it would drain down to 80% by the next destination. I also saw moisture at the bottom of the pegboard. I removed the pegboard and found the center of my fresh water tank was depressed and when the tank filled beyond 80% it would leak out the sealed plug in the center and of course get sloshed out.

It's not convenient now to get the tank replaced so I worked with Silverleaf and we set the autofill to 75% and that will work for now until I get stopped at a convenient place to get the tank replaced.

Bill Bélanger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3521.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	343072  
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:58 PM   #13

hire a lawyer and sue them.
only way to get things done in today's

“newage way “.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:29 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Irwinddancer,

I feel your pain about the wait for Spartan service. I am in Utah and Spartan has 1 service center for the entire state. I called them with an ABS failure issue in early August. They said they had 39 coaches currently on the lot waiting for service, plus about 40 more ahead me off lot waiting for service. Advised me that since my coach was still drivable, that I should plan on mid to late November for a service appointment! They were apologetic, but that is why my new coach is a Freightliner chassis. WAY more places to take it, and I have had great experiences with the local Freightliner dealer with my previous coach.

Had an interesting visit with the service writer of one of the most highly praised RV dealers on here. He asked which chassis I had ordered on my new coach. When I told him Freightliner, he responded “Good”. I was surprised because they are a Spartan service center. He said they are seeing far too many issues with Spartan now and he was glad I had made the change.
tqqest is online now   Reply With Quote