Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2020, 09:27 PM   #1

An alternative approach to securing the pantry and kitchen drawer

The pantry and kitchen drawer on our 4081 would open while driving. I decided to take a different approach to securing them – magnetic locks (maglocks). Maybe overkill; but they work like a charm.

Locking: There are two parts to securing the door / drawer. The electronic lock is mounted to the frame. The metal plate the lock holds is mounted to the door / drawer:

Here's the pantry door - I used one maglock top and bottom.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2097.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	288284

Here's the rear of the kitchen drawer. Photo taken from above (induction cooktop removed for access).

Name:	IMG_2054.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	392.2 KB
ID:	288288

When 12 volt power is applied – a strong magnetic field is generated; and keeps the door closed.

Power supply: You have two options – tap into an existing 12 volt supply in the coach; or use a 110 volt to 12 volt power supply. I chose the latter; as there is 110v power behind the kitchen drawer; and in the bedroom cupboard adjacent to the pantry. Both receptacles are powered by the inverter – so remain on while we’re driving.

Control: Rather than drill a hole for a power switch, I used a remote control relay to control each maglock.

Here's the control box. The 12 volts from the power supply goes to the input; the maglock(s) on the output.

Name:	IMG_2102.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	399.5 KB
ID:	288286

And the RF Remote:

Name:   remote.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  11.1 KB

Parts list:
110 to 12 volt Power Supply
Remote Control
Magnetic Lock
ChrisFSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2020, 10:51 PM   #2

interesting concept. Out of curiosity how many amps does the magnet draw?? I didn't see any spec's in the ad or at least I don't think I did LOL
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:52 PM   #3

Current Draw: 0.11A ~0.15A.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:53 PM   #4

Thanks again, very interesting
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:57 PM   #5

We like it; especially as you can remove the three latches you normally have to yank against to get the pantry to open.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:44 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFSB View Post
The pantry and kitchen drawer on our 4081 would open while driving. I decided to take a different approach to securing them – magnetic locks (maglocks). Maybe overkill; but they work like a charm.

Locking: There are two parts to securing the door / drawer. The electronic lock is mounted to the frame. The metal plate the lock holds is mounted to the door / drawer:

Here's the pantry door - I used one maglock top and bottom.
Attachment 288284

Here's the rear of the kitchen drawer. Photo taken from above (induction cooktop removed for access).

Attachment 288288

When 12 volt power is applied – a strong magnetic field is generated; and keeps the door closed.

Power supply: You have two options – tap into an existing 12 volt supply in the coach; or use a 110 volt to 12 volt power supply. I chose the latter; as there is 110v power behind the kitchen drawer; and in the bedroom cupboard adjacent to the pantry. Both receptacles are powered by the inverter – so remain on while we’re driving.

Control: Rather than drill a hole for a power switch, I used a remote control relay to control each maglock.

Here's the control box. The 12 volts from the power supply goes to the input; the maglock(s) on the output.

Attachment 288286

And the RF Remote:
Attachment 288287

Parts list:
110 to 12 volt Power Supply
Remote Control
Magnetic Lock
Great idea! If you don't want to deal with electrical, try the magnets you can order from HD. I used several of these to lock down my counter top that mounts in front of the new induction top I installed. I used the 16# versions and they work great so far. I used a bit to create an inset to drop them in flush and embedded washers on the opposing side.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:40 AM   #7

neat.
I can see our control system that monitors the ignition On feed, to turn on a relay that applies current to the electro magnet to keep doors closed while driving.
I would also put a simpler dumb magnet to keep the doors closed when not driving (saves electricity).
Old 06-05-2020, 07:44 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Questions:

Once power is applied, is the induced magnetic field self-maintained? Or does it require constant power? If the latter, what happens when the power goes away?

Just curious...
Old 06-05-2020, 08:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAndPeg View Post
Questions:

Once power is applied, is the induced magnetic field self-maintained? Or does it require constant power? If the latter, what happens when the power goes away?

Just curious...
Power goes away, door unlocks.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:09 AM   #10

Hey Dav L,
Did you have to drill through the pantry door to attach the metal plates or can it be secured with screws which don't penetrate the door. I don't really want have anything showing on the outside of the pantry door.

We recently had the pantry fly open on a curvy road in the mountains. We heard it happen. When we stopped, the pantry was closed but stuff from inside the pantry was in the floor.....it opened, dumped some stuff out, slammed shut! Both little plastic hooks at the top and bottom are now broken and the center latch is all that is holding it. I like your solution!
ssimonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:16 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Can a chain of locks be controlled by one remote? Neat idea if it can be done.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssimonto View Post
Hey Dav L,
Did you have to drill through the pantry door to attach the metal plates or can it be secured with screws which don't penetrate the door. I don't really want have anything showing on the outside of the pantry door.

We recently had the pantry fly open on a curvy road in the mountains. We heard it happen. When we stopped, the pantry was closed but stuff from inside the pantry was in the floor.....it opened, dumped some stuff out, slammed shut! Both little plastic hooks at the top and bottom are now broken and the center latch is all that is holding it. I like your solution!
This is ChrisFSB's thread
But, understanding what can be done...you can just use short panhead screws to attach the maglock non powered side to the door. If you get the right length screws you should be good to go.

I would put a maglock that doesn't require the non powered side...all some locks need is a steel plate. Would be less weight and less intrusive. There are other electrically controlled locks / solenoids / strike plates that can also be considered for the use case. I probably have some stuff lying around here that would work...will have to rummage a bit...

Dons23456, yes that is certainly possible. I will be posting some screenshots in the near future.
Edit: here is a way to do that. Mine will be more "elegant"....
https://www.wish.com/product/5ee7517..._wcB&share=web
Old 08-09-2020, 05:35 PM   #13

I didn’t use the mounting hardware that came with the lock; just wood screws to hold the plate to the door. Leaves the front of the door unblemished.

Couple of learnings:
- when doors/drawers are locked make it obvious to your traveling companions. They will try hard to open them otherwise!

- the RF remote I originally installed has a habit of releasing power for no apparent reason. I’m testing alternatives and will update when I’ve found one that’s reliable.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:02 AM   #14

Or.......spend less than $3.00 and put two I-hooks inside pantry. One over the top of the highest drawer and one on the inside edge of the door. When preparing for travel simply connect a tight bungee between the hooks to keep the door pulled tight.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote