Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2019, 03:03 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Lightbulb An example of using SOLAR

When people think of solar they think of boondocking and an all or nothing use. People think solar is only for when there is no shore power yet there are other uses of solar as I'll describe in my current CG.

I'm currently in a state park with 30A service (and water). I don't want the windows open as it's been windy and I don't want a layer of New Mexico in my coach. I love fresh air but not the dust that comes with it in this area. So air conditioners are preferred and it's in the mid 70's here now. On 30A I can typically do about anything as the EMS will load shed but I have solar and in this area it's a shame not to help with the electricity and minimize load shedding, i.e. allow both AC's to run without any concern.

Using the ME-ARC50 remote which replaces Newmar's cheap crap ME-RC50 with minimal options I can tell the Magnum Inverter to use solar while shore power is taking care of the air conditioners. By blending solar with shore power so shore power handles what it is tied to (AC's, etc.) solar can handle everything the Inverter handles (120V outlets, etc.). Microwave, televisions, computer(s) etc. are all being powered by SOLAR.

There are several options in the ME-ARC50 such as using State of Charge (SOC) to determine how long solar is enabled, by voltage ranges, or by what I'm using - TIME (clock). I've been using SOC typically but I really don't want to leave shore power out of the loop waiting for the batteries to fall off and when the low point battery percentage hits (SOC) then shore power automatically takes over. Instead I know the time of the day that I'll likely need AC's to run and when solar is going to be beneficial. Therefore in my ME-ARC50 I am using TIME CONNECT. I've specified that between 9 AM and 4 PM I want the inverter powered by the batteries/solar and shore power should not feed the inverter for charging the batteries, etc. Remember, shore power charges the batteries. By allowing SOLAR to do the charging then the 30A shore power can use its resources for other shore power demands, i.e. AC's.

Hopefully this made some sense but the point is you can blend SOLAR with your shore power supply for a sum total end result that minimizes (eliminates) load shedding by the EMS. Solar is not an all or nothing and there are multiple benefits of having solar on your coach and I highly recommend it.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2019, 03:38 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
MicroAir Easy Starts...are also an essential part of this management technique...
Old 10-21-2019, 03:45 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
MicroAir Easy Starts...are also an essential part of this management technique...

Good point. I do have those on both AC’s as you know.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:45 PM   #4

interesting

That is pretty slick to be able to leverage both sources. Did you say in an another post that the ME-ARC50 is a direct swap out with the standard ME-RC50? I have been leaning in that direction to get better intel and flexibility.
2017 Prevost Marathon #1250
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk w/AF1 and Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow System
Orinda, CA
sheridany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:47 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridany View Post
That is pretty slick to be able to leverage both sources. Did you say in an another post that the ME-ARC50 is a direct swap out with the standard ME-RC50? I have been leaning in that direction to get better intel and flexibility.

Yes. It’s just a phone jack type connection on the back. Highly recommend switching to the ME-ARC50. I really saw the limitations helping people at the balloon fiesta such as setting quiet hours for AGS.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:58 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Neil, I have replaced the ME-MR remote with the ME-ARC50 and really like it. But I was under the impression to use the Magnum Inverter along with 30-amp shore power that I would need the MSH3012 Hybrid Inverter. Is that not so? I have the non-hybrid MS-2012 2000w inverter in my coach.

PS. I do have 300 w of Solar and the Victron SmartSolar 30 amp charge controller. Not that that matters for this function.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:05 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Let me add that you don’t have to have solar to do what I’m doing. What I’m really telling the Magnum inverter is to use batteries (house batteries) instead of shore power. Solar is just a battery charger. Without solar you can do this same thing by using batteries during the day and charge them when AC’s are no longer being used.

You would be surprised how long your batteries can support your house/inverter demands. Your batteries are powerful and why not use them? I have them to be used, not just be charged for years.

Solar is a battery charger. This concept of load sharing applies the same if you have the ME-ARC50. You are just scheduling your charge to be in a set time period. For me that’s from 4 PM until 9 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:17 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I could have titled this thread “An example use of the ME-ARC50” as it’s not really solar.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Yes. It’s just a phone jack type connection on the back. Highly recommend switching to the ME-ARC50. I really saw the limitations helping people at the balloon fiesta such as setting quiet hours for AGS.

Neil, you got my attention at the “just a phone jack connection swap out” Price is reasonable,
please help me understand why I need this upgrade . How will this benefit me vs the std. in a 19’DS ?
Thanks
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:32 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I googled for the ME-ARC50 manual and attached it. You can browse the settings available and you can see you'll gain more control of your inverter. Add a ME-BMK and you'll have even more control using State of Charge (percentage) vs. Voltage which can fluctuate and spike drastically. The ME-BMK is not required and it's complex, in my opinion, to install so be sure to know what you're doing or pay someone that knows how to do it. But the ME-ARC50 alone will give you more capability over the extremely limited ME-RC50 installed. Write down your settings, swap the control head, apply your settings.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 64-0030-Rev-C-ME-ARC_CD_Web.pdf (1.46 MB, 40 views)
Old 10-21-2019, 07:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I googled for the ME-ARC50 manual and attached it. You can browse the settings available and you can see you'll gain more control of your inverter. Add a ME-BMK and you'll have even more control using State of Charge (percentage) vs. Voltage which can fluctuate and spike drastically. The ME-BMK is not required and it's complex, in my opinion, to install so be sure to know what you're doing or pay someone that knows how to do it. But the ME-ARC50 alone will give you more capability over the extremely limited ME-RC50 installed. Write down your settings, swap the control head, apply your settings.

Thanks Neil!
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Neal,
Thanks for the information here. We do a lot of camping at a lake with 30 amp service and once I figure out the basics of our new coach this information should be helpful to determine if I need to upgrade my controller. It seems like a simple upgrade.
Thanks for adding to my modification list of my yet to be delivered coach!
ShelbyTom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:03 PM   #13

Neal,
Thanks for the info. I've been reading the manual and think I understand the settings. Are you going to leave this setup like this all the time or just change the settings when you have less than 50A service? Thanks.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:17 PM   #14

Following

Tags
solar