Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2021, 10:58 AM   #1
dp7

And the fun just keeps on a commin'

Ya know I have come to expect that each trip will bring an expensive repair & the current trip did not disappoint. Went to stow the Travíler and no go. Called Winegard & was told that the 4 year old turret was shot & would have to be replaced with a refurbished unit to the tune of $550. Had unit shipped to current location & replaced it at the campground. Thought, okay there is this trips expensive repair. Not so fast.

Traveling down the interstate with no vehicles near me the outside pane of the drivers cockpit window shatters. Called Newmar service & was told that the outer pane could be replaced without replacing the entire window. Okay transfer me to parts so I can order one. Parts says nope only comes as a complete unit, cannot just replace one pane. How much? $1633 plus installation. And by the way it is an 8 week lead time.

Seems to me that if Hehr is going to make an expensive window assembly the size of a small billboard, that each pane should be replaceable rather than throwing the whole unit in the trash. Sheesh!

End of rant.

Anyone have any experience in replacing just the outside pane on a window like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	broken window inside.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	327408   Click image for larger version

Name:	broken window outside.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	327409  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2021, 11:15 AM   #2

Find a glass place that specializes in repairing foggy dual pane windows. The place I used over here in FLA(Suncoast Designers, Hudson) had replacement panes in stock for a few of the panes that were too far gone to clean up, IIRC, $75 a pop. If they didn't have them in stock they have the capability of ordering them.

I'm sure there would be a similar shop over on the west coast or... time for a road trip to FLA. I was satisfied with the work done over 2+ days, staying in there camping area with w and e hook ups along with a dump station. We made a bit of a vacation out of it having a toad with us.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:02 PM   #3

An important word of caution. I had a rock shatter the exact window. The shards of glass went down the side of the coach and scratched the paint. A few miles down the road the interior pane departed the coach and hit the jersey wall in one piece. I was able to save my TPMS but not the mount. Had to travel several miles on interstate without window. Spent the next few days fixing it so I could drive to NIRV in Dallas to have the whole assembly replaced. Not a fun trip.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:11 AM   #4
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewlee View Post
An important word of caution. I had a rock shatter the exact window. The shards of glass went down the side of the coach and scratched the paint. A few miles down the road the interior pane departed the coach and hit the jersey wall in one piece. I was able to save my TPMS but not the mount. Had to travel several miles on interstate without window. Spent the next few days fixing it so I could drive to NIRV in Dallas to have the whole assembly replaced. Not a fun trip.
I also have the unmistakable signature of glass shards down the side of the coach & toad.

I was also worried about the interior pane failing. 200 miles so far so good (knock on wood). 250 more miles to go. The TPMS is no longer mounted on the interior pane.

When you had the whole assembly replaced, was there any issue getting a good bond on the side wall with the new caulking? It appears that the existing caulking is silicone and if so will be near impossible to remove completely. The residual silicone would prevent new silicone from adhering to the side wall & making a waterproof seal.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:18 AM   #5
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ. View Post
Find a glass place that specializes in repairing foggy dual pane windows. The place I used over here in FLA(Suncoast Designers, Hudson) had replacement panes in stock for a few of the panes that were too far gone to clean up, IIRC, $75 a pop. If they didn't have them in stock they have the capability of ordering them.

I'm sure there would be a similar shop over on the west coast or... time for a road trip to FLA. I was satisfied with the work done over 2+ days, staying in there camping area with w and e hook ups along with a dump station. We made a bit of a vacation out of it having a toad with us.
Not sure a glass shop could match the broken pane which has an odd shape with rounded corners. It also has a black painted perimeter mask. Hehr apparently will not sell the individual panes.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post
I also have the unmistakable signature of glass shards down the side of the coach & toad.

I was also worried about the interior pane failing. 200 miles so far so good (knock on wood). 250 more miles to go. The TPMS is no longer mounted on the interior pane.

When you had the whole assembly replaced, was there any issue getting a good bond on the side wall with the new caulking? It appears that the existing caulking is silicone and if so will be near impossible to remove completely. The residual silicone would prevent new silicone from adhering to the side wall & making a waterproof seal.
The issue I had was the interior trim frame not matching the exact contour of the existing frame. Ended up having Nappanee adjusting the interior trim on my next visit. Yes, sealing was an issue too. On my coach to R&R the remains of the window they had to remove the cabinets and window valance.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:22 AM   #7

Check around at automotive glass shops. If the single pane is replaceable, they should be able to order the glass cut to size. On my old coach, I had a broken pane and the window (it was one of those sliding ones with 3 panes) was $400 or so. I found an auto glass shop that would order cut to fit and it cost me $40, so it's worth checking out.
cbennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post

I have replaced a couple of windows in my coach. The silicone is a pain to remove but, not impossible. To remove the window you need a sharp razor blade cut the existing silicone along the edge of the frame. At that point the screws on the inside can be removed and a helper on the outside can assist as you push the window out. Have the helper stand on scaffolding as a ladder will make it more difficult to handle the window.

The silicone comes off fairly easily at first with a plastic scraper as you can usually grab fairly large pieces and pull them off. I used painters tape and taped the outline of the silicone so when I was working I would not accidentally damage the paint. You can use a dull razor blade and scrape down from your painters tape towards the open hole where the window was. Rubbing alcohol will also soften the silicone. It takes a while but, it will all come off. I did it this way because, thatís what Newmar recommended when I spoke with them about replacing my windows. The rubbing alcohol was not a Newmar idea. They recommended some other liquid which only came in one gallon cans and was extremely expensive. I found the rubbing alcohol idea on an internet search.

Get the window sent from Newmar and do the install. You have to make sure they also send a new seal. Put on the seal then have a helper put the window in place and you go inside and start tightening all the screws to the new frame. Use a screw gun as there are many screws. You can crank down on the screws as, you want that window tight. After a couple of screws you wonít need your helper. Go outside and run a new bead of high quality window and door silicone around the window.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:20 PM   #9

Yep. Every trip something breaks or there is a new glitch. Mostly minor stuff. Just like owning a boat and I've owned several.

Fortunately I knew that going in, so it doesn't really bother me that much.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote