RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2015, 07:05 PM   #1

And we're off

Left today on our first big trip with our new to us 2005 Kountry Star. Dealer just finished install of towing equipment on Saturday. Having just upgraded from a TT it was a little daunting to hook her car up to the back and drive off down the road. All went well today and relaxing near Savannah Ga. Asheville NC tomorrow for a week and then to Columbus Ohio ( new grandson). From there onward to Maine . Lots of good info gleaned from these forums in the short time I have been here and will be checking in often from the road

Mr Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 07:27 PM   #2

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	102815

Old 08-10-2015, 07:33 PM   #3

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	478.1 KB
ID:	102816
Old 08-10-2015, 07:34 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congrats, Mr. Michael. Moving from pulling your house to driving your house is a big transition, but a great transition to be going through.
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:36 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Great looking coach and congrats.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:40 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I am jealous
unpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:04 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hope all goes well for you in your new rig. It looks to be the same model as mine. We have only been on 2 short trips so far but have really enjoyed it and I've found the 8.1L and Allison combination to be a great powertrain combination. Lots of power. I'll be interested to hear more about your trip as you go along.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Michael View Post
Left today on our first big trip with our new to us 2005 Kountry Star. Dealer just finished install of towing equipment on Saturday. Having just upgraded from a TT it was a little daunting to hook her car up to the back and drive off down the road. All went well today and relaxing near Savannah Ga. Asheville NC tomorrow for a week and then to Columbus Ohio ( new grandson). From there onward to Maine . Lots of good info gleaned from these forums in the short time I have been here and will be checking in often from the road
Congrats on your new coach and good luck on the first big trip. I know it is very exciting. We are upgrading from a TT this fall and it seems daunting already and we aren't even in the new one yet.

Not sure where you are staying in Asheville, but we stayed at a place called Mama Getie's Hideaway and it was super. It is carved right out of the side of the mountain and if you stay on top the view is spectacular. I attached a pic.

Safe Travels,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mama Gertie's.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	102850  
Old 08-11-2015, 12:31 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mr Michael,
Got an 05 KS too. Congrats on your choice. Got 100K miles on mine and still going strong. Gut feel says you have many happy memories waiting to be made.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:30 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Congratulations and enjoy!
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:05 PM   #11

Hope your trip goes well...We've had ours sense last Oct and have done many short (3-5 days) but without a towed. Thursday leaving for 5 days with a towed following...1st time.

We will be interested in hearing how you experience goes.

Cheers,
Don & Gayle
CoyoteFlatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:37 AM   #12

Update

First day was uneventful. Not as much on the second. almost to our stopping point for the night yesterday and drove through a strong thunderstorm.
Coach was fine but afterwards could not turn off wipers. No matter where I turned the stalk on the column, wipers still wiping. Have a short drive to our weeklong destination and if needed this morning will pull the wiper fuse.
Arrived at our site and found the battery in the toad dead ( 2012 CRV). I had
Roadmaster Invisibrake installed which includes a charging lead ( as long as the coach headlight are on. I am assuming my 7 pin cord got jostled ( I checked both ends for tightness). Thankfully I am anal and had a meter and verified when I started the coach that it was trying to charge the battery. In my anal-ness I also have a stand alone charger which I used on the car. Will check it when we get to our spot this afternoon. Fingers crossed
Old 08-12-2015, 05:56 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Michael View Post
First day was uneventful. Not as much on the second. almost to our stopping point for the night yesterday and drove through a strong thunderstorm.
Coach was fine but afterwards could not turn off wipers. No matter where I turned the stalk on the column, wipers still wiping. Have a short drive to our weeklong destination and if needed this morning will pull the wiper fuse
Pretty common wiper problem with that vintage of Workhorse chassis. The electrical connection (plug) behind the front engine access cover gets wet and the wipers lose their mind. As forum members on the Workhorse Chassis Forum suggested, I unplugged the connection, used dielectric grease on both ends, reconnected and then taped the connection. I also used weather striping on that upper edge to limit the amount of water that entered. Problem solved. The next issue you might have is water entering the air intake and getting the air filter wet during heavy rains. I suggest you participate in the Workhorse Chassis Forum on this website. Lots of helpful info. Once you get a couple of bugs with the chassis straightened out, your golden and a great combination of a Newmar on the W24 Workhorse Chassis.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:59 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forgot to mention, with the CRV, I think there is a fuse you need to pull when towing. I'm sure someone that tows a CRV will chime in.

Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote