Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2022, 12:27 PM   #1

Annual Maintenance at NIRVC

For the forum folks,

I mentioned I would report back after completing my annual maintenance on my 2022 Dutch Star. I pontificated about going to Gaffney for the Frieghtliner annual and then over to Newmar in Nappanee for the house stuff but elected to do it all at NIRVC in Lawrenceville, GA since I store there as well. For year one with a couch at 12 months and 9345 miles, I believe this was the right decision for me.

Final cost was just under $3,800 which included the one year/15000-mile Freightliner servicing checklist. (About 45 items). That was about $2600 dollars of this total. (Labor, parts and Oil)

The rest was broken up between servicing the ONAN generator, the 3 AC units, the Slides and the OASIS furnace. They also did a quick check and fix on AF ONE on my jeep (lights were giving me trouble on the rear-view mirror)

I was at the coach yesterday and ran it through its paces, got to speak directly with the Matthew Spawn (person who serviced the chassis and my Jeep) and frankly, am feeling pretty good right now ...everything was working as advertised and I am very happy with everyone at NIRVC. Kudos to Dan Philips and Matthew Spawn in Atlanta.

Love to hear your comments on the cost but it seems to have worked out the way I expected.

Merry Christmas ...can't believe December is here tomorrow.

Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2022, 02:27 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Just a data point: I had the 24 month service performed at Gaffney for $1225. That did not include onan service as i handle that myself. I also received a 5% disc for FCOC membership.
Old 11-30-2022, 03:12 PM   #3

Service on Dutch Star

Bill, anymore it’s hard to put an amount on good service. Especially if you are happy. Remember the old saying “the quality lives on after the price is forgotten.”
I use to get that at Motor Homes of Texas with their service. Their price was competitive but the quality was there and they stood by it. I’m sure the place you went would be the same as they have a good reputation. Safe travels.
Travato John
jl.kauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 03:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoesdel View Post
……the 3 AC units, the Slides and the OASIS furnace.

Would any of this fall under warranty work for a less than one year old coach?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 05:48 PM   #5

I have owned the coach for a year and YES..it is still under warranty but most of this was the annual service they recommend to keep the coach like new (AND under warranty). I have had warranty work done here (in fact 6 times throughout the year and it was done quickly and I didn't pay for any of that.) So annual service bumper to bumper can cost if you aren't doing anything yourself. In my previous gas coach, I did oil and filter changes and generator upkeep myself but I felt on this $400K plus coach I should let those who do the work, do it...at least in the first year. It's all about what risk and chances you want to take and your comfort with the service you get. I budgeted for this when I bought the coach but Im sure as the coach gets older, I will do more myself but, I admit, I am getting spoiled with the combined availability of service, Wash and Wax and indoor storage.
Old 12-01-2022, 12:24 AM   #6
dp7

I was originally told that freightliner techs are onsite daily at NIRVC, so assumed that is who would do the chassis servicing. Today I found out that is not the case. Chassis serving is done by NIRVC techs. Not sure if they are freightliner certified or not.
Old 12-01-2022, 04:32 AM   #7

They stated they could not handle the Freightliner recalls when I was there a few months back. So will need to go to FL or another dealer that can perform that work.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Just a data point: I had the 24 month service performed at Gaffney for $1225. That did not include onan service as i handle that myself. I also received a 5% disc for FCOC membership.
Yes, that's about right- fluctuates a bit depending on need for air filter, trans fluid, etc. but that's the amount I generally pay at Gaffney each year.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:10 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
This is the main reason, for those of us who live close to Gaffney SC to just go there. NIRVC pricing is high for what this owner had done....but somebody has to pay for that facility IMO....
Old 12-01-2022, 09:13 AM   #10
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Our chassis techs are all Spartan certified. The services are the same on the chassis. It's just a difference in location. The freightliner techs are there to address any warranty issues, as stated in some of the post above. If you have the extra time and extra money, traveling to South Carolina and Indiana can allow you to see the county while you are getting there. Going to one place like NIRVC to get all work completed, allows you to spend your time and money on different things. It's all a matter of convenience. By the time you have gone to both locations, did you actually save any money?
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:04 AM   #11

Well said Bobby. I always get a chuckle out of the "run to the mothership" or "run to Gaffney" crowd. I guess they have unlimited time on their hands and don't mind traveling endless miles just to get their rigs looked at or fixed every year. I don't know about others, but I always have better things to do. Convenience is worth a whole lot to many. I do agree that the manufactures may well do better or be less expensive but at what cost and inconvenience-I always way this equation out. One last thing, do we really want an RV ownership model to be based on having to travel to the manufacturers every time they need service or would we rather have a robust and effective dealer model like NIRVC is trying to build throughout the country?
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMXHAULER View Post
Well said Bobby. I always get a chuckle out of the "run to the mothership" or "run to Gaffney" crowd. I guess they have unlimited time on their hands and don't mind traveling endless miles just to get their rigs looked at or fixed every year. I don't know about others, but I always have better things to do. Convenience is worth a whole lot to many. I do agree that the manufactures may well do better or be less expensive but at what cost and inconvenience-I always way this equation out. One last thing, do we really want an RV ownership model to be based on having to travel to the manufacturers every time they need service or would we rather have a robust and effective dealer model like NIRVC is trying to build throughout the country?
Point taken, but I think a majority of folks who go to the manufacturer for service are also including the trip as part of the adventure. Personally, I do t consider it a waste of time but rather quality time. Just my opinion.
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayRunner View Post
Point taken, but I think a majority of folks who go to the manufacturer for service are also including the trip as part of the adventure. Personally, I do t consider it a waste of time but rather quality time. Just my opinion.
My father owned two airstreams when I was growing up and I remember going to the factory twice with him for service and he enjoyed the adventure but I am wired differently and for me, it is not an adventure. I would rather do almost anything else than drive long distances and spend days obtaining service-just not my thing.
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 11:48 AM   #14

I am a proponent of NIRVC. That being said……

I consider Gaffney the “best” when it comes to Freightliner chassis service, and I consider Newmar factory the “best” when it comes to coach service. So….. when considering places that would rank as “second best”, I don’t expect them to cost more. I believe they should align their prices more closely with what Newmar and Gaffney charges for the equivalent work, or at least give other “perks” to make up the difference, like free wash and detail with service, build up points for discounts in the future, etc.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance