RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2019, 04:00 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Annual Service Costs

I requested estimates for the 12mo service costs for our 2019 New Aire from Newmar. I was shocked to learn that the manufacturer recommended items are approximately $6000 (including chassis)...so I am picking my mouth up off the floor and hoping for a sanity check. Is this normal? What recommendations or ideas do folks have to help bring these costs down?
Labor rates are $131/hr this time of year.

When we were researching we consistently saw estimates for annual maintenance to be ~$1000-$1500. Needless to say $6000+ is shocking. Surely we are missing something obvious. Hoping to learn from the experts here.

We are New motorhome owners who work full time from the road when traveling ...still very much learning and without a great deal of spare time so will have higher dependency of others to do work but at those prices we are motivated to learn how to be less dependent on service centers when possible. Just have a lot to learn.

mmstump is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2019, 05:00 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi mmstump,
A manufacturer recommends, maintenance for all items they put in the coach. You decide what you want done. For me oil, oil filter, fuel filters and grease chassis points is all you need. Heavy used items may need to join the servicing. HVAC is a good example.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:48 AM   #3

I have my annual appointment next week at a Freightliner/Cummins service center about 6 miles from a CG we use this time of year up in Illinois. They know we are full timers so they will schedule my engine/chassis PM and generator annual service and complete everything in less than 6 hours. Last year my total cost was $738.00.

Other coach maintenance I do myself. Depending on what it is dictates how often I do it.

1. check and water house batteries (8)
2. clean interior a/c filters.
3. remove roof a/c covers, clean units.
4. 303 all roof vents, skylights, covers.
5. 303 front of coach.
6. 303 slide seals.
7. change water filters.
8. change frig filters.
9. change batteries in co2 and smoke detectors.
10. sanitize water system.
11. bleach/clean all sewer hoses/attachments.
12. wash/wax coach.

I have another list for my enclosed 24' trailer (toad).
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:51 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
They may also have included an allowance for replacing systems. For example, if an air conditioner costs $2,100 and the life expectancy is seven years, then the annual cost of replacement (not routine service) is $300.

Include that for the fridge, Oasis, generator, etc. and you may get $6,000. Iím not sure Newmar has approached it this way, but I believe this would be the correct all-in amount.
WardSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:45 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
I have a local diesel shop do my basic annual chassis service and it runs pretty close to what FLJOE said; about $700. There are, of course, some other annual maintenance items that you can either do yourself or have a local shop do. Oasis service comes to mind immediately. IME, having a local shop do the Oasis service runs around $350.

When you have Newmar (or any manufacturer) give you a quote for annual service, they will include EVERYTHING, and at the premium prices they charge for "factory service." That's not to fault Newmar; they do a very complete service using factory-trained technicians. I just don't think you need that level of service every year.

TJ
Old 08-19-2019, 08:56 AM   #6

I just got mine back from Albuquerque Freightliner and it cost $600 for the 6k service. I copied the service schedule from the manual and gave it to them when I dropped it off. That didnít include genny or Oasis.

Mark
Old 08-20-2019, 02:47 PM   #7

I am not sure I've ever done an "annual" service on the coach. I take it in for "Annual" service but there is always something I'd rather call extra to do. mostly repairs but things like tranny service or radi fluid change or something broke. The real question you need answered is what are the average yearly overall maint cost which is every dime you spend on fixing stuff along with "annual" maintenance.
THAT number will vary by how lucky and handy you are. I dont seemed to be very of either and would guess my yearly expenses to be in the 5 k+ number. I haven't bought tires yet but have fixed a slide motor, replaced the level jacks, some front AC work. We bought a 6 year old unit 3 years ago that was inspected but 'stuff' still happens. I knew I spent some coin fixing those reasons the previous owner had for selling. This gig is not for the faint of heart.

Really interested to see what other people own up to spending.
jbikes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:29 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
My "annual maintenance cost" has been under $1K. Guess I've been lucky that nothing has broken that I had to pay to get fixed. Now, Newmar does have several grand invested in fixing things on the 2018 MADP under warranty. Hopefully, those won't be recurring issues.

IME, the big annual cost has been "improvements." These are things that I've done to make the coach more useable, liveable, etc. They do not qualify as service or repairs; just personal choices.

TJ
Old 08-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hereís a list of maintenance items and the cost I received from Newmar for our upcoming service appointment.
Boilervol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:50 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
My "annual maintenance cost" has been under $1K. Guess I've been lucky that nothing has broken that I had to pay to get fixed. Now, Newmar does have several grand invested in fixing things on the 2018 MADP under warranty. Hopefully, those won't be recurring issues.

IME, the big annual cost has been "improvements." These are things that I've done to make the coach more useable, liveable, etc. They do not qualify as service or repairs; just personal choices.

TJ
+1. Our annual service cost (at our shop in San Jose CA) is about $1200-1400 for oil change, oil and fuel filters, chassis lube, and generator oil and filter change. On top of that, we routinely find "improvements" we really, really think we need that add perhaps $2-3K a year. Added 640 watts of solar last year, added a dishwasher with related cabinetry this spring, for example. We are not handy, both work full time, and so are willing to pay someone to take care of these things that I know we could do ourselves if we had the time and talent.

On our current coach, we replaced two dead AC units and fixed a broken door hinge under warranty. Now that those are no longer under warranty we'd have some offset from our "extended service plan" for various items but of course we paid out of pocket for that plan in the first place. You gotta pay at some point!
Old 08-21-2019, 07:32 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm guessing this should be considered a regular maintenance item, but I was still surprised. The beloved 'Check Engine' light came on Sunday evening, so I headed to FL. ECM was out of date - version 19 needed updating to version 41. Not the worst invoice ever ($400), but still unexpected. I've never seen this on a maintenance schedule.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlampDaddy View Post
I'm guessing this should be considered a regular maintenance item, but I was still surprised. The beloved 'Check Engine' light came on Sunday evening, so I headed to FL. ECM was out of date - version 19 needed updating to version 41. Not the worst invoice ever ($400), but still unexpected. I've never seen this on a maintenance schedule.

I'm trying to figure out how your ECM knew it was out of date to set an code. Does it have a calendar, is it connected to the Internet? Inquiring minds want to know.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:50 AM   #13

Kinda funny...I posted a forum survey on how many DIY. Very few say they do no DIY. Maintenance is the easiest DIY services, yet in this thread, most are saying they pay for maintenance as part of their annual cost....

Anyway, I DIY, do all my own maintenance. Pay for supplies. But haven't used the rig enough to get any kind of baseline of what annual maintenance ends up. I just put grease fittings on the ball joints and did a chassis lube. About $5 in parts and material. But 2 hours of labor (mine). I also removed and polished the front wheels in that time (is that maintenance?).

Next maintenance is engine oil / filter. Two 5 gallons jugs await. With the easy drain valve (Fumoto) that should take another two hours, of which 30 minutes of actual labor (the rest is waiting for oil to drain).

Air filter will be checked. I upgraded to a reusable K&N filter so that should be 30 minutes to clean, vacuum the intake tract and replace. It's much less expensive now because I paid up front for the reusable filter.

So, bringing some of my specifics to indicate that maintenance cost can be all over the map, just depends on what you do yourself, and the choices you make to reduce the annual cost.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
I'm trying to figure out how your ECM knew it was out of date to set an code. Does it have a calendar, is it connected to the Internet? Inquiring minds want to know.
There should be no check engine light as part of regular maintenance. This sounds more like a programming error that tripped the MIL light which was resolved (or cleared) by an updated software.

Gees, $400 for that opportunity. The flash couldn't have taken 15 minutes...

Tags
service