RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2021, 09:05 PM   #1

Another AGM Battery Question

Does anyone have any experience with the Super Start AGM GC2 Batteries from O'Reilly's Auto Parts. They appear to spec out the same as the Duracell AGM GC2 Batteries available from Sam's Clubs. I believe they are both made by Penn Manufacturing. They are about $22 more but are available near my home in Washington State. The nearest Sam's club is about 1,000 miles away. As always any help, especially real life experience with these batteries, is appreciated.
Runaway4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2021, 02:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway4002 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the Super Start AGM GC2 Batteries from O'Reilly's Auto Parts. They appear to spec out the same as the Duracell AGM GC2 Batteries available from Sam's Clubs. I believe they are both made by Penn Manufacturing. They are about $22 more but are available near my home in Washington State. The nearest Sam's club is about 1,000 miles away. As always any help, especially real life experience with these batteries, is appreciated.

You could call East Penn in Pennsylvania and ask if they supply O Reilly’s. I have had the Dura Cells from Sam’s Club for two years and couldn’t be happier with them.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:06 AM   #3

How long should OEM AGM last?
Hmf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:44 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmf23 View Post
The discover AGMs were being used in 2016. Properly cared for...about 5 years. But this depends on how many cycles you are putting on them. You could see more or less time. Vibration and temperature factor in as well.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:28 PM   #5

Quote:

According to this it is East Penn

Lead-Acid Battery Manufacturers and Brand Names List 2021

I can't get Duracell from Sam's so maybe I'll try this instead. Thanks for finding them at O'Reilly's
Old 01-31-2021, 07:54 PM   #6

I should finish the install on Tuesday afternoon. I am waiting for paint to dry on the refurbished battery box. I picked up the batteries last week and will return the old batteries (core charges) on Wednesday. I ended up only paying $175.86 which is less than the Sam Club price for the Duracells. I was able to use the O'Reillys discount price utilizing the FCOC membership discount buying program. I will update the batteries performance after they are installed.
Runaway4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:07 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I should finish the install on Tuesday afternoon. I am waiting for paint to dry on the refurbished battery box. I picked up the batteries last week and will return the old batteries (core charges) on Wednesday. I ended up only paying $175.86 which is less than the Sam Club price for the Duracells. I was able to use the O'Reillys discount price utilizing the FCOC membership discount buying program. I will update the batteries performance after they are installed.
Dang it man... I had no idea FCOC gets you a discount. I could’ve saved a few bucks on my new Jeep battery, perhaps.

Never thought about discounts for FCOC members...
Old 02-01-2021, 12:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmf23 View Post
The Discover (Made in China) AGM batteries Newmar was using in the mid teens were Chinese JUNK! Mine only lasted 28 months & I was on shore power 95% of the that time.

I replaced them with the best AGM batteries you can buy- Lifeline- Made in the USA. The top- end coach builders - Liberty, Mallinium, Newell, Featherlite etc. have used them for years. I personally have used them in my 1999 DSDP, 2005 MADP & now my 2014 DSDP- I had one bank still going strong after 9 years of use!

In my present coach I went bigger & better- I installed 8 Lifeline GPL-6CT batteries with each having 600amp hr. I never ran these down the times I have boon-docked & they are still going strong!

As the old saying goes- you get what you pay for!

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:35 PM   #9

What's FCOC?
outlawten5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawten5 View Post
What's FCOC?
Freightliner Chassis Owners Club (FCOC)
Webz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:13 PM   #11

Quote:

Any update? How did it go?
Old 02-21-2021, 10:27 PM   #12

I have a 2016 Ventana 4002. need to replace house batteries(8)..thinking of AGM. How does size compare and do you have to change the set up for charging and type batteries on the remote. I am going to check at O'Reilly's.
mwright27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:09 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwright27 View Post
I have a 2016 Ventana 4002. need to replace house batteries(8)..thinking of AGM. How does size compare and do you have to change the set up for charging and type batteries on the remote. I am going to check at O'Reilly's.
The Magnum Remote has AGM1 and AGM2. The manual recommends none or the other based on Manufacturer. If you can...find the recommended charging parameters directly from the mfg. website. If one of the two preset charge profiles do not match...you can use custom and program the correct parameters manually.

I have LifeLines and they changed their recommendation after Magnum programmed our remotes. I use Custom with the updated parameters.

Lifeline has one of the best documented manuals online for their batteries I have seen. Glance at it if you can...even if it doesn’t match your batteries parameters, it gives you a good idea of what you should be looking for. Charge Rate, Absorb Voltage, Float Voltage...most AGMs are not to be Equalized. Time at Absorb or Tail Current. Temperature compensation (not adjustable in the Magnum inverter).
Old 02-22-2021, 07:23 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwright27 View Post
Sizes are basically the same but can vary slightly from model to model so check size before buying. I bought Lifelines. A little more money but they last and last and last.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery