Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2016, 08:14 PM   #1

Angry Another Atwood Levelegs Issue - 1 stuck up

2009 Newmar Baystar.....Atwood Levelegs Jacks were working fine until last weekend. Went to extend and they all started down, but the passenger rear went about 1/2 inch and clutched out. Green blinking light came on saying it was extended, but it wasn't. All other jacks worked just fine. Retracted all and they went to red blinking, retracted and went solid green. I've done all the resets, unplugged the jack, and ran them for a recycle, but that right rear will not extend any further than 1/2 inch. I cant even manually get it down.

For the 2 days we were there I just let the other three work and put a small bottle jack under the right rear just to stabilize the coach. I did the checks after we got home. Anyone got any tips or ideas before I start taking things apart.

Thanks ahead of time!
Hunt n Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2016, 10:06 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
You probably have the older system that clutches the jacks when they are retracted. The shear pins in the jack will eventually shear and the jack will stop working. In my case the jacks always fell to the ground and had to be wired up to move the coach so this may not be your issue.

These jacks are simple screw jacks with a small electric motor geared way down to handle the load, not rocket science. Very similar to Atwood's landing jacks for a fifth wheel.

It looks like you've done quite a bit of troubleshooting but I'll include this for completeness:

There are several good troubleshooting guides on the net to help determine the issue. Here and here to start with. At least one of these shows how to force a fault and use the keypad to run jacks individually. This will help you determine whether there is a shear pin or other jack issue. Not sure they mention it but you can "hot wire" the jack motor with 12VDC to see if it will extend all the way and start lifting the RV. Biggest issue with that is finding something to plug into the connector. Or just cut the connector off and splice it back on later with a waterproof splice.

If it is the jack, you can remove the jack pretty easily and work on it on the bench. Unhook the power connector and remove the four bolts that hold the jack and "hat" onto the chassis brackets. The three screws on the top of the jack gear housing allow you to get the motor and gearing off. Note there should be a lot of grease inside. Also you need to keep dirt out of the gearbox so clean up the outside before you start taking it apart. Obviously take lots of notes/pics on where the "hat", washers, gears, etc are located.

Shear pins are available from Atwood, electronics are another matter. I believe I read that Atwood does not have the controls for the old style any more and they will want you to buy a whole new system.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood