Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2021, 09:59 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Another Diamond shield not recommend

This is not a rant, just sharing product information. I removed the original diamond shield from our 07 Essex several years ago because of discoloration and mold; based on bad reviews did not replace it. This year I started to see the need for some type of protection on the front cap. Diamond Shield developed a new film called Nano-Fusion film 1, so after some research decided to try it. The film is very thin with a lot of elasticity. On our first trip we had two spots damaged by rocks and several spots where bugs actually penetrated the film. Without the film, touch up paint and buffing would have made a repair without too much effort. The film seemed to make it much worse, not better. It stretched and tore without protecting the paint. Diamond shield dismissed my concerns and did not stand behind their product. They did offer a discounted repair for $800. This seemed like throwing good money after bad. I carefully lifted a small part of the film and used touch up paint underneath it. Looks much better now, but still visible. I honestly think the old film or none at all is a much better option. Highly recommend taking a pass on nano-fusion film and I give Diamond shield customer support a big thumbs down [emoji107].Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	435.9 KB
ID:	348321
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2021, 10:46 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I’ve never been a believer in any of that stuff. My Winnebago came with some brand of it and bugs are permanently imbedded in it. Won’t be long and will be time to remove it and repaint the front cap. Having worked in the body repair business I know paint products I can use that stand up. May need repaint every 10 years, but that’s just maintenance.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 12:46 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
As an original owner or three DP's with one having 3M and two with Diamond Shield, I'm very happy with the product. I think those who are second or third owners of a coach can often inherit one that the previous owner didn't take good care of. On all three of my coaches, they got/get cleaned and polished with wax, 303, Pledge or whatever is handy, before each trip. On a buggy driving day, the windshield and Diamond Shield both get cleaned and some sort of protectorant like Wash/Wax/All is used on the shield.

I'm guessing the newer thinner material was probably designed more for a car hood or other body part that wouldn't take the beating the front of these coaches take.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 01:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
As an original owner or three DP's with one having 3M and two with Diamond Shield, I'm very happy with the product. I think those who are second or third owners of a coach can often inherit one that the previous owner didn't take good care of. On all three of my coaches, they got/get cleaned and polished with wax, 303, Pledge or whatever is handy, before each trip. On a buggy driving day, the windshield and Diamond Shield both get cleaned and some sort of protectorant like Wash/Wax/All is used on the shield.
We took care of ours the same way and had absolutely no issues in 8 years.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 02:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
We currently have a 2019 Dutchstar with the Diamond Shield. Its has been fine, but more to the point we had a 2009 Monaco Camelot for ten years that had a Diamond Shield and it looked just fine when we sold the coach.
kenk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:54 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
People who do zero preventative maintenance experience all kinds of issues. 303+Aerospace Protectorate is the recommended, by DS, cleaner and polish…works great…after 2 coaches, 8 years…looks new
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 05:10 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nufinish every 6 months, 7 years old. Some road rash but most still looks new.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:42 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It doesn't matter what you use, just use something. I'm a little OCD and I know every little mark and chip when I clean it. I remove every bug when I clean. It doesn't take that long and cleaning/waxing it before each trip makes it easier to clean, as there is no buildup.

I just feel sorry that the OP got such sad results with this newer thinner stuff. Diamond Shield should have stepped up more.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote