RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2019, 05:24 PM   #1

Another Evans Dash A/C Problem...

Have the Evans Dash A/C in my 2015 DS 4369, and just experienced my first problem, which follows my 4-month winter stay in Florida. I'm getting NO cool air on either AC or Max AC settings, with fan blowing normal at all it's settings. Began looking into it today and found the temperature coming from the vents to be 83 degrees, with inside coach temp being a bit less. After running for several minutes I looked at the receiver/drier and saw that it was sweating and quite cold...the temperature on it was 40 degrees. With this low reading can I rule out needing refrigerant? I'd like to think that I might be able to handle replacement of needed parts under the front hood, and would much appreciate advice as to what my problem most likely is and what part(s) are likely defective. Larry

hugh37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2019, 05:44 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the receiver dryer is cold it is plugged.

Mike

Old 06-11-2019, 04:59 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Are you sure the vacuum doors are opening to let cold air out through your vents tubes to doors and coming off the control, plastic tubes dry out.
This link has EVAN's information.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #4

"007"...thanks for the response and question. I've had little time to look seriously into my problem...hopefully, tomorrow. At this point I don't know that the doors are opening/closing properly. Will tomorrow check that and the vacuum lines for any broken, pinched, off. I'm assuming that all the vacuum lines are located under the front hood in close proximity of the system parts. I read the Evans' link you mentioned and have looked through the Evans Technical Manual. You likely saw that a previous post informed me that my receiver/drier (R/D) is plugged, based on my description of the temperature reading on the R/D of about 40 degrees and the bottom of the R/D being very cold and sweating. I gather that the R/D if good should NOT be cold?? I'll see tomorrow what I can come up with and report back. Thanks for the help. Larry
Old 06-18-2019, 02:09 PM   #5

Yesterday my service facility initially determined that my problem was due to the system being substantially low on refrigerant. Further diagnosis revealed it was stopped up/plugged, calling for a new drier and expansion valve. Judging from the sticker in the engine compartment, the system calls for 3.0 lbs. refrigerant. However, when I ordered the new parts from Newmar I also spoke to a tech, who, rather than tell me, sent me an email/
Evans Tempcon Service Bulletin dated 3/17/16 with subject,
"Refrigerant/Oil Charge - 2015 & 2016 Diesel Pusher Chassis". It states, "There have been changes to Freightliner and Spartan's 2015 & 2016 rear engine pusher chassis and as a result, these changes have caused us to perform new refrigerant charge determination tests. The results show an increase in R134a refrigerant charge levels for Freightliner chassis with 450HP or higher rear diesel engines with side mounted coolpack/condenser. Due to the increased refrigerant charges, compressor oil charges also have increased". A chart included in the bulletin shows that a 450HP Freightliner (assume as mine) had an OLD REFRIGERANT CHARGE of 3 pounds and a NEW REFRIGERANT CHARGE of 7.5 pounds. Additionally, an OLD REFRIGERANT OIL CHARGE of 14 ounces and a NEW REFRIGERANT OIL CHARGE of 15.5 ounces. I've yet to pass this information to my service man, who I expect to finish the job by end of week. Curious whether others have seen this bulletin and are "scratching their heads", as I am. Can I assume that my system originally had 3 pounds of refrigerant charge and now is calling for 7.5 pounds with the upcoming service? Larry
Old 06-19-2019, 08:38 AM   #6

hugh37, don't forget the system also needs to be flushed...that is more labor than the prior repairs. If plugged, the question is "plugged with what?". If the receiver / dryer "blew up", then replacing it and flushing, and vacuum should address. But if the plug was from the compressor blowing up internally, then that's another whole deal.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:50 AM   #7

Thanks, Dav L...good advice. I've been present and will be present during all the pending efforts to get me fixed. I'll definitely pose the question about the compressor. I expect the parts as early as today and hopefully can finish up no later than next Monday. Dav L...what's your response to the "NEW refrigerant charge" by Evans Tempcon...from 3.0 pounds to 7.5 pounds. I haven't passed this to my service man yet. Thanks, again.
Larry
Old 06-19-2019, 11:07 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is a link to Evans that shows the current charge limits.

I assume that 2018+ falls into the same category as the 2015-2017

Evans Tempcon > Troubleshooting, Diagnosis and Repair > Refrigerant Charge Information - R134A Systems

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh37 View Post
Thanks, Dav L...good advice. I've been present and will be present during all the pending efforts to get me fixed. I'll definitely pose the question about the compressor. I expect the parts as early as today and hopefully can finish up no later than next Monday. Dav L...what's your response to the "NEW refrigerant charge" by Evans Tempcon...from 3.0 pounds to 7.5 pounds. I haven't passed this to my service man yet. Thanks, again.
Larry
That's a big difference...use the latest spec that the RV manufacturer advises. If Evans provided all the parts, then they might also know best.
When a pro is filling with a gauge set, once they go beyond the 3lbs they will see too much pressure raise if overfilling.
Did Evans advise why there was a change?
My Durango with rear air takes 40oz as comparison, so 3lbs is not much for an RV system that has a lot more hose (especially a DP)
Old 06-19-2019, 11:19 AM   #10

Thanks, redbaron73. My post (#5) just before yours, addresses that Evans
Tempcon Service Bulletin. My question...and I doubt an Evans tech would speak with me, being non-certified...is simply, "how can a system that originally was designed to hold a refrigerant charge of 3 pounds, now be instructed to be filled with a charge of 7.5 pounds?? Really baffles me... anyone else? Larry
Old 06-19-2019, 11:28 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks, redbaron73. My post (#5) just before yours, addresses that Evans
Tempcon Service Bulletin. My question...and I doubt an Evans tech would speak with me, being non-certified...is simply, "how can a system that originally was designed to hold a refrigerant charge of 3 pounds, now be instructed to be filled with a charge of 7.5 pounds?? Really baffles me... anyone else? Larry
The reason for the change is that in 2015, a larger condensor was installed on both Freightliner and Spartan. This was part of an EPA update to the engine specs. They also changed the routing of the pressure lines, changing distance.

Evans builds everything at the dash, both inside and outside. They do not build any of the lines, the condensor, or the compressor.

What happened is FL/SP changed the condesnsor/compressor package and changed the lines, and somehow Evans didn't get the memo.

Due to the larger size, they now had to increase the amount of charge.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #12

Dav L...in it's Service Bulletin dated 3/17/16 with subject, "Refrigerant/Oil Charge -- 2015 & 2016 Diesel Pusher Chassis", Evans Tempcon stated, "There have been changes to Freightliner and Spartan's 2015 & 2016 rear engine diesel pusher chassis'. As a result, these changes have caused us to perform new refrigerant charge determination tests." An attached "matrix" lists my coach as having an OLD refrigerant charge of 3 pounds and NEW refrigerant charge of 7.5 pounds. A sticker posted in area of the system in my coach clearly states 3.0 pounds of refrigerant is required. Am I to assume my system originally had a charge of 3 pounds and NOW during this service is to be charged at 7.5 pounds? I just spoke to my mobile tech friend who is assisting with my service...he informed me that my compressor was bypassed at the time the "clog/plug" was found, clearly showing the drier and expansion valve to be the problem, he said.Anyone have questions/thoughts regarding the refrigerant charge increase from 3 pounds to 7.5 pounds?? Larry
Old 06-19-2019, 12:21 PM   #13

redbaron73...thanks for the info. As I've mentioned, the sticker in my coach calls for 3.0 pounds refrigerant. Am I to assume that's what I originally had? Or should I assume the system was charged at 7.5 pounds? At this point, I suppose I need only be concerned with the proper charge to be applied during this servicing. Confusing/maddening...who needs it? Thanks, anyhow. Larry
Old 06-19-2019, 12:33 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
redbaron73...thanks for the info. As I've mentioned, the sticker in my coach calls for 3.0 pounds refrigerant. Am I to assume that's what I originally had? Or should I assume the system was charged at 7.5 pounds? At this point, I suppose I need only be concerned with the proper charge to be applied during this servicing. Confusing/maddening...who needs it? Thanks, anyhow. Larry
Yes, that is what you should assume you had. Newmar writes the info on the label when they fill the coach. They were using the old information at the time.

Tags
dash, problem