Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2022, 05:16 AM   #1

Another favorite topic: tires

My 2018 Ventana is currently riding on Michelin XZA2 Energy 275/70R22.5 LRJ tires. They’re approximately five years old. The tread isn’t bad, but I’ve got one tire that has been repaired and won’t hold air consistently. I’m thinking about replacing all six tires before the next season, as we have some long trips planned for 2023.

I’ve always been a fan of Michelin tires and that’s my preference. I’ve reviewed the Michelin website as well as the tire discount program offered through FMCA. It appears that the XZA2 Energy is no longer available, and Michelin now recommends the X Multi Z tire in the same size. This tire has a J load rating, just like the XZA2. The ratings on the load chart are very similar between the two tires. The X Multi Z is designed as an “all-position radial optimized for RV chassis and specialty trailer in regional and line haul application”.

Any thoughts or experience with the X Multi Z? Is there something else that I should consider?

I appreciate it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2022, 08:49 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I went to a Toyo Tire and had them installed last year. Didn't notice any difference from my Michelin's other then the great price difference. Attached is the Purchase sheet from the Tire Dealer I bought them from along with the installation. Since my RV is a Tag Axle I needed 8 which is in the quote. Also the stated my coach was a 2016 but it's actually a 2015. Good luck with whichever way you go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toyo Tires 3-27-2021 Install Date.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	382284  
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:11 AM   #3

That’s a good price. I’ve been shopping this morning and talking to different shops about various brands, prices, etc. I was able to find a local shop that honors the FMCA discount on the Michelins, so that’s my leading candidate at this point. Of course supply chain has been problematic for them all year, so they only have two of the Michelin tires in stock. They think that they can get four more by next week.

My inside rear tire on the passenger’s side has gone flat. I’m going to try to inflate it for the ~18 mile drive to the tire shop. If I’m unable to do that, then they suggested that I drive it in slowly with one tire flat. I don’t love that idea… Alternatively, I could pay for their mobile service to repair the flat for ~$200, only to replace the repaired tire. Finally, I could have the mobile service replace all six tires. The catch with that plan is that they are unable to do a traditional pneumatic balancing on the new tires. They use weights/beads inside the tire that continually balance the tires, working a bit like Centramatic balancers. I don’t know anything about those, but they said many people like them.
Old 12-07-2022, 09:33 AM   #4

I’ve been researching bead balancing for truck and RV tires. It sounds like a really interesting option. It’s fast, easy, relatively inexpensive, and it continually adjusts to keep the tire balanced over the entire service life. Has anyone here used this balancing method?
Old 12-07-2022, 04:28 PM   #5

No one "likes" bead balancing. It is forced on you because they can't spin balance these large wheels. I went for Centramatics some years ago, and when I replaced my Michelins with Toyos recently I did not have to pay for balancing, weights or beads. A good investment if you plan to keep the coach for a while.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:52 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
I went to a Toyo Tire and had them installed last year. Didn't notice any difference from my Michelin's other then the great price difference. Attached is the Purchase sheet from the Tire Dealer I bought them from along with the installation. Since my RV is a Tag Axle I needed 8 which is in the quote. Also the stated my coach was a 2016 but it's actually a 2015. Good luck with whichever way you go.
Great deal but unfortunately tire prices have really escalated over the past year. I'm finding an increase between 20-25% locally. The manager of the place I've dealt with for 50+ years told me that they shutter every time they need to replenish their supply. He called the increases "obscene".
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:16 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
Great deal but unfortunately tire prices have really escalated over the past year. I'm finding an increase between 20-25% locally. The manager of the place I've dealt with for 50+ years told me that they shutter every time they need to replenish their supply. He called the increases "obscene".
You can say that again. Just called the same place that installed my tires on 3/21/2021 and the Toyo's went from $480 to $618+. The Michelin XRV's are $1010.93 each now. 305/70R 22.5's
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:30 PM   #8

The Michelin X Multi Z in 275/70R22.5 retails for $786.51. With the FMCA discount program, I can get them for $703.57. The savings of $82.94 per tire for a total of $497.64 will essentially cover the cost of mounting and balancing for me.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:10 PM   #9

I replaced tires on my VLDP last year, starting the same as you, though i went up a size to 275/80 and to Michelin Line Energy Z (LEZ). Have been very happy with them so far. Though prices have change obviously as I paid $550 each prior to install, they are about $200 more per tire today.

Also, it looks from my tire pricing list that if you go up to the 80s like I did, then the LEZ's are available, and they are actually about $70 cheaper than the multi-z in a smaller size. Though your speedo will be a tick off, but who cares.

Also, check out these guys. They are amazing and have helped me out with my tire replacement and subsequently to that with an emergency replacement. They can work with your local tire shop like your tire shop would work with any other fleet services provider.

https://nationaltireconciergeservices.com/

J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C. View Post
My 2018 Ventana is currently riding on Michelin XZA2 Energy 275/70R22.5 LRJ tires. They’re approximately five years old. The tread isn’t bad, but I’ve got one tire that has been repaired and won’t hold air consistently. I’m thinking about replacing all six tires before the next season, as we have some long trips planned for 2023.

I’ve always been a fan of Michelin tires and that’s my preference. I’ve reviewed the Michelin website as well as the tire discount program offered through FMCA. It appears that the XZA2 Energy is no longer available, and Michelin now recommends the X Multi Z tire in the same size. This tire has a J load rating, just like the XZA2. The ratings on the load chart are very similar between the two tires. The X Multi Z is designed as an “all-position radial optimized for RV chassis and specialty trailer in regional and line haul application”.

Any thoughts or experience with the X Multi Z? Is there something else that I should consider?

I appreciate it.
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 10:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
No one "likes" bead balancing. It is forced on you because they can't spin balance these large wheels. I went for Centramatics some years ago, and when I replaced my Michelins with Toyos recently I did not have to pay for balancing, weights or beads. A good investment if you plan to keep the coach for a while.
Algoma- just a FYI- they can spin balance these large 22.5" tires. You just need to find a shop that deals in large truck tires. My last 2 sets of new tires- including 365/70 R 22.5 front steer axle tires were spin balance by Poops Tire in St Louis Mo.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post
Algoma- just a FYI- they can spin balance these large 22.5" tires. You just need to find a shop that deals in large truck tires. My last 2 sets of new tires- including 365/70 R 22.5 front steer axle tires were spin balance by Poops Tire in St Louis Mo.

Happy Trails
Spin balancing is offered by the shop that I’m using for my new tires, but only at their store location and not when using their mobile tire service.

I’ve watched quite a few videos and read quite a bit about bead balancing over the last few days. I remain intrigued by it. It seems to me that if it’s done properly using the right bead material, then it works very well. I’m not sure that I see much of a downside to giving it a try.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C. View Post
Spin balancing is offered by the shop that I’m using for my new tires, but only at their store location and not when using their mobile tire service.

I’ve watched quite a few videos and read quite a bit about bead balancing over the last few days. I remain intrigued by it. It seems to me that if it’s done properly using the right bead material, then it works very well. I’m not sure that I see much of a downside to giving it a try.

The beads work well unless they get wet by water or lubricant used when mounting tires. And they will clump inside and throw it out of Balance worse than no balance media at all.

I tried bead balance on some 19.5 tires on an F650 and it was horrible because the shop that did the job did not take care to keep the tires very dry inside.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:55 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dennis,
I ran Sailun's (19.5's) on our 2007 Jayco Seneca 33ss for over 5 years and 50K + miles with beads in them.
Now we have your size tire (22.5's) on our 2004 Pace Arrow 37c with 3 years and 20K+ on them with beads in them.

Simple Tire has them listed @ $437.00 each with a 5% military discount.

With the milage and age on these 2 sets of tires, I do not consider these "China Bombs" and we have been very happy with them.

JMHO
Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 10:09 AM   #14

I went back and forth in my head on beads vs. spin balancing. I talked to several people at the tire retailer too, and I ultimately decided to have the tires spin balanced. I had to wait for a few weeks to get the Michelin X Multi Z, but I finally got them. I’m at the shop now having six new tires installed and an alignment. I got the tires through the FMCA Michelin Advantage program, and I saved almost $100 per tire using this program.

I’m looking forward to having this done!

Tags
tire, tires