Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #1

Another Positive Newmar Experience

It isn't just the fact that Newmar stepped up 11 months after our warranty ran out and replaced our front chairs, it is all the little things and the attention to detail they do while you are at the service center that earns my respect.

I mentioned to our tech that when he ran our slides in and out if he heard or observed anything out of place to please make adjustments or do whatever maintenance he felt was needed and we would gladly pay.

He reported back when he finished with our coach that all the slides seemed to be perfect but he put a wrench on all the slide motor bolts anyway just to make sure. He didn't empty out under the bed but explained to me how to check those.

I had purchased new wipers and the parts department didn't have new bolts/nuts in stock. Mine were rusted. When he brought out our paperwork to the coach he gave me two "just like new" black wiper bolt/nuts he had laying around.

Just like when we were here last year, a positive experience dealing with quality professional workers at the service center.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2019, 01:58 PM   #2

Joe,
Excellent report and great news. We too have been very impressed with each visit we have made back to Nappanee. During our visit this summer, we awoke to a gray tank sensor that was reading zero at 5:00 am. This was not on our list but was repaired as our tech. He explained that we needed to treat our gray tank like we treat the black tank. ....Who knew!
Each time, I leave there much smarter than I was. .........At least for a while, due to my retention!
Take care and safe travels to you both!
Tizbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:42 PM   #3
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizbad View Post
Joe,
Excellent report and great news. We too have been very impressed with each visit we have made back to Nappanee. During our visit this summer, we awoke to a gray tank sensor that was reading zero at 5:00 am. This was not on our list but was repaired as our tech. He explained that we needed to treat our gray tank like we treat the black tank. ....Who knew!
Each time, I leave there much smarter than I was. .........At least for a while, due to my retention!
Take care and safe travels to you both!
Did the tech describe the specifics of the treatment method for both black & gray tanks that he recommended? Might be beneficial information for other forum members.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:46 PM   #4

You are correct Stu. The first time we had an Amish tech and I didn't think anyone could beat how knowledgeable, friendly, and professional he was. This time our tech was non-Amish and the same qualifications!

Enjoying our evening in the new service center CG. Having a cocktail listening to the sounds of Nappanee.....which is the clip-clop-clip-clop of horse drawn buggies overpowered every 20 minutes with the roar of passing freight trains.....
Old 10-10-2019, 03:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post

Did the tech describe the specifics of the treatment method for both black & gray tanks that he recommended? Might be beneficial information for other forum members.
Don't want to steal Stu's thunder if in fact the Newmar tech had some suggestions for treating the gray tank. I'm sure he will come back with the information for you which I would be interested in also.

I had previously gave up on my gray tank sensors in two different fivers we owned. They just stopped working soon after purchase.

However, to keep the gray sensor working in my Newmar, plus keep odors at bay, I started using Oxy-Keem. It is sold in a green bag (individual pods) and carried by Walmarts.

On every travel day I make sure there is 2 - 5 gallons of water in the gray. I dissolve a packet in a drain, sometimes the sinks, sometimes the shower drain. It is unbelievable how dark and dirty the water is that comes out of the gray tank when we get to our destination and dump!

Anyway, that is how we have been doing it for over a year and our gray tank sensors continue to work great and we never get any odors. When we are stationary for a couple months at our Florida winter site I will close the gray every couple of weeks and dissolve 2 pods into the tank, let it sit for a day and dump.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:14 PM   #6

FLJOE...do you mean Oxy-Kem?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Oxy-Kem-H...-12pk/16647988
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:26 PM   #7

You are absolutely correct, too many e's in my spelling.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:00 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
At an FMCA International rally, a Newmar Tech was working on a headlight issue. He came back the next morning, with a plug he had personally gone to NAPA that night and bought to fix my headlight. He said all Newmar had was complete assy and they were way to expensive.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:41 AM   #9

DGBPokes, that is "above and beyond" what would be expected of a tech IMHO. This is only my 3rd RV manufacturer I have had experience with but every tech and employee at the factory have had the same "customer first" mindset. Heck, even the few folks I have dealt with at my selling dealer (North Trail) seem to have been schooled the same way.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #10

Wouldn’t know where to begin. We’ve had Newmar coaches since 2005 and had literally dozens of "above and beyond" experiences, often worth thousands of dollars. But more importantly they prove how human and ethical this wonderful company is. That means more to us than money. We’ve become friends with many Newmar folks — they’re like family.

08 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:00 AM   #11

During our visit to Nappanee, as soon as we discovered that our gray tank sensor was not reading, our tech flushed the tank a couple of times and it began to read. He told us to treat the gray tank about every other dump of the black tank with the same chemical we use in the black tank. The chemical type and brand makes no difference. He also told us to not use any antibacterial hand soap or dishwashing soap. Since then, the DW has switched to regular Dawn (blue) for the kitchen sink, since she does do some dishes in the sink.
We now use "Happy Camper" in both tanks. I disolve it in the sink before I let it go in every other time, and our sensor is still reading ok. To be honest, I had him replace the sensor while we were there, .........just in case. I also kept my old sensor as a spare, since it was finally working again.
Apparently, the antibacterial soap kills the good bacteria that is needed in the tank. .......How silly of me not to have known that!
Tizbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar