Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2017, 06:26 PM   #1

Another satellite cable question

Hi,

I have read a lot of posts on the subject but could not quite find the answer to my questions. Hope someone who has done their own setup can share some info. I have a new BS 3113 that has the satellite prep option. I have removed the cover plate on the roof, and I actually see the 2 coax cables stuffed down in there.

I assume 1 is for the front receiver and the other is for the back. The conduit that had the orange pull string is little offset from the hole as some have indicated making things a little tight trying to fish the coax out. My questions are:

How much coax is down there? I (without yanking to forcefully) can only move the cables a little. They don't even pull out above the opening. Are they wrapped around or tied down somehow (could not really tell, even with a small bore flashlight)?

The coax is not in the conduit, so what is the purpose of the conduit? I ran a fish tape down it for about 8 or 9 feet and could not identify where it goes (plan to call Newmar Monday).

I was successful running the antenna wire for the WeBoost cell amplifier I bought down my AC/HP shroud into the return air duct where I could easily pull it to my front entertainment. Temped things up to try it, and in the RV inside a metal barn I had 3 bars LTE where normally I have absolutely no service even outside the barn.

I had another question on the battery life running the inverter (just 1 TV/outlet inverter, not the refer inverter) from a full charge. I was only running some lights and the WeBoost off and on, and in about 6hrs, the batt voltage was down to 10.3 and the inverter alarm was beeping. Thinking I may have a bad battery or more (4 total).

Lastly, how does the bedroom tv come off its mounting. There is nothing in my documentation that describes this. It's a hard mount (no swivel).

Slowly but surely getting thing setup. Thanks for any input.

Terry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #2

You're luck you have coaxial cable under that plate. In my case which may or may not be different, the conduit exited on the ceiling of the entertainment cabinet. There was a brown block off plate covering the conduit. Regardless of which antenna you mount, you'll need to run a power wire from the antenna control module up to the satellite dish so I can only assume that the empty conduit is to run that wire. Get 2 male/male connectors and just add an extension to the existing coaxial cable. Then use a weather tight splitter to split the signal between the cables. Sorry Can't answer your other questions.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:58 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Terry, any satellite you install will require a control/power cable. Since Newmar doesn't know what sat you'll buy, they add the conduit so you can add your own control cable. If you have room UNDER the plate. make your connections inside the roof and cover the cable, sealing the components under the plate. Make sure you tighten the coax cables with a wrench so they don't come loose. If you intend to run a second receiver in the bedroom, you need to install a splitter, attach both coax cables to one side and the sat to the other. Again, keep it under the cover if possible.

My coach has six batteries. If I turn my generator off at 6:00pm, with fully charged batteries, I can run my refer all night, all the other miscellaneous items like clocks and lights and watch my TV with the DirecTV box on, until 2:00am when I go to bed and still be at 12.2 or 12.3 in the am.

You may have a bad battery in your bank.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:22 AM   #4

Thanks Ljowdy and Don,

The wife and I decided we do not need OTR satellite, so I am mounting a King Tailgater dome (which I had been using as a portable in our 5th wheel) using the new removable roof mount system they offer (no holes required). The King Tailgater does not require a separate power line as it gets its control power over the coax. It also has 2 input/output connections so the splitter will not be required (may as well hook up both coax's even if I only have 1 Wally receiver).

As you both suggest, I will just add some good weather tight adapters to those coax stubs on the roof with some good outdoor coax pig-tails and seal everything up (it will be tight under the plate and I may have to open it up a little to get at them better). I did not think there was a bunch of cable hidden down there to pull out, but I thought I would ask.

I don't recall seeing a block-off plate in top of my entertainment cabinet, but I will take a closer look tonight (otherwise I plan to give Newmar a call). I am going to do some additional testing on the batteries when I get my RV AC power circuit finished in the barn so I can plug it in and charge them back up. The receptacle I purchased was cheap and not made to work with the 6 gauge wire I ran (so I have a new one on order).

Thanks again.

Terry

Tags
satellite