Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2022, 08:02 PM   #1

Another weight distribution thread

Recently got our coach weighed at NIRVC in Las Vegas. Coach was fully loaded with our stuff but without us in it. 100% diesel, 50% fresh (that's how we usually travel), and empty gray/black tanks.

All three axles are under their maximum GAWR, weighing 15150 steer, 16750 drive, and 9750 tag for a total of 41650.

On a left to right basis, the coach is well balanced...20700 on the left, 20950 on the right, a difference of 250 lbs.

On the steering axle, left tire is 7800, right tire is 7350, a difference of +450 lbs on the left. On the drive axle, left tires are 7950, right tires are 8800, a difference of +850 lbs on the right. On the tag axle, left tire is 4950, right tire is 4800, a difference of +150 on the left.

It's the +450 lbs imbalance on the left steer tire and the +850 lbs imbalance on the right drive tires that's got me wondering what, if anything, I should do? Does shifting weight in my two storage bays from right to left accrue to the steering axle or the drive axle? Also, it doesn't seem like there's much upstairs inside the coach that I can move around that would make a big difference...I think we travel pretty light compared to some folks.

Any thoughts/advice are appreciated!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2022, 09:06 PM   #2

This past week we attended the Spartan Chassis class at NIRVC Dallas. In the class we were told that with weight distribution, per axel a difference of 5% per side is considered normal. A difference of 10% is considered unacceptable.

Chris and Susan Olberding
2022 Newmar Mountain Aire 4118
Olbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 10:03 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
First off, your batteries are on the driver's side, just behind the front axle, causing most of your imbalance. If you carry tools, you could move them to the passenger side front bay, unless you have the refer there.

The rear I wouldn't worry about, as just carrying extra DEF, firewood or other specifics for a trip can change the weight around.

Here's something to think about, you're concerned about the front axle....I weigh 325 pounds and my wife weighs 125 pounds. Just us sitting in the coach, adds 200 pounds to the driver's side. Your coach weighs 42K as it goes down the road, not including the toad. A few hundred pounds here and there is not an issue for that coach.

Now that you know the corner weights, adjust your tire pressure to the highest weight at each axle.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 12:25 PM   #4
Official iRV2 Sponsor

You can only move items in your bays to make offset adjustments in weight. When you are having the coach weighed, itís usually to get the best tire pressures for each axle and allow for you move you cargo to appropriate sides of the coach.
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight