Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #1
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Ants

While parked in an RV site yesterday morning, we discovered small, black ants invading one of the cabinets located in the dinette slideout. Never having experienced an ant invasion in many years of RVing, I didn't have any insect spray on board. All that I could find quickly was a spray can of Fabreze air freshener.

I sprayed the inside of the cabinet with Fabreze, especially along the floor/wall seam where they were coming in. The ants that were sprayed directly immediately went belly up and no more streamed in through the seam. A quick look around outside revealed that the ants were coming up the water hose and into the water bay. From there, they were apparently making their way to the entry location.

I sprayed Fabreze in the water bay as well, with the same results as in the cabinet. And, I sprayed a section of the hose where it entered the water bay. That put a stop to the foolishness that had been going on.

In looking near the park water spigot, I could see where the ants were coming from. So, I sprayed them too. We probably have the best smelling RV park in the area!

One of my neighbors asked what I was up to and I explained the situation. She told me to sprinkle a little "diatomaceous earth" around the hose and power cord at the point where they left the ground and ran up into the respective bays. Not having such exotic stuff at hand (though I do know what it is) I went to the local Home Depot and bought a 4# bag for a bit less than $10. The entry points have now been suitable treated and there's been no sign of a counteroffensive by the ants.

Does anyone else use diatomaceous earth for repelling ants? It apparently works on other small bugs as well, being the equivalent of broken glass in a very tiny form that these little critters don't want to deal with.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2017, 06:54 PM   #2

We stayed at Santee Lakes RV park in San Diego and a leaf from a tree touched the top of our RV. Enough for ants to find their way into the RV. Was very upsetting. We got rid of the tree access and they they came up the power cord. We had heard that Comet or Ajax stops ants and we happened to have some Comet in the RV. We made a barrier around the tires, the sewer hose and power cord. That stopped the ants. I've since seen many Internet articles on using Comet. But to answer your question, when I plan ahead, I do take a bag of diatomaceous earth. We use this at home to create an ant barrier and of course it works in the RV as well. I would guess that DE is safer than Comet. Seems pretty inert and it's non-toxic from what I have read.
TeamReif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:22 AM   #3

Baby powder works great too. We have the same ant experience in San Diego every time we stay there. Another thing we've tried which works well is the Home Defender ant spray. We just spray a perimeter around the RV when we pull in and ants stay away for at least a couple of weeks.

08 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:25 AM   #4

Its what we use at the S&B in AZ. Works well.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #5

Terro and many other ant killers use borax as the main ingredient. I have had good luck by using 20 mule team soap which is also borax. Cheap, safe, and decent laundry detergent.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:22 AM   #6

Some years ago a couple was parked on their site in a Florida RV resort. Their Prevost had a 50 amp electrical cord running up and into the power bay. In the middle of the night they awakened by an uncomfortable feeling. The wife rose to discover she was being bitten by a number of fire ants. She brushed them off and got her robe from the rear closet and put it on. It was full of fire ants. She was hospitalized for several days.

So.................This subject and protection strategy is well worth noting!

Peter
Old 08-21-2017, 09:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
I sprayed the inside of the cabinet with Fabreze, especially along the floor/wall seam where they were coming in. The ants that were sprayed directly immediately went belly up and no more streamed in through the seam. . . . .
TJ
Ok . . . think about that statement for a minute. Holy cow.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:56 AM   #8

Diatomaceous Earth (also used as pool filter media) is very effective in Armadillo holes. They don't like to dig in it.