Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2022, 02:00 PM   #1

Any "above and beyond" 12 month service items?

I'm scheduling a visit to NIRVC for our first 12 month service of the recommended Newmar routine maintenance items. (Chassis service will be done at Freightliner.)

Are there any additional "above and beyond" maintenance items that folks would recommend?

For example, check the slide motor bolts for tightness? I'm not a DIY service guy, so any ideas you can offer would be helpful.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2022, 02:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllingham View Post
I'm scheduling a visit to NIRVC for our first 12 month service of the recommended Newmar routine maintenance items. (Chassis service will be done at Freightliner.)

Are there any additional "above and beyond" maintenance items that folks would recommend?

For example, check the slide motor bolts for tightness? I'm not a DIY service guy, so any ideas you can offer would be helpful.

I would do
More than just have them check the slide motor bolts, I would have them install ďStage 8Ē bolts and bracketís.
You will have 3 motors, 2 for the kitchen slide, 1 for the bedroom slide.
Stage 8 kits are approximately $75.00 per motor, plus labor to install.

Once you put these on, you will never need to worry about your slide out bolts working loose. Nappanee will tell you they fixed the problem back in 2019, they did not! On my 2022 LA purchased September 2021, I found two out of the 3 motors had boltís already loose at the 4 months timeframe.
Stage 8 will eliminate this!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0524.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	382310
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 03:31 PM   #3

Good advice considering each motor is $1200 plus
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 10:31 AM   #4

Stage 8 kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite17 View Post
I would do
More than just have them check the slide motor bolts, I would have them install ďStage 8Ē bolts and bracketís.
You will have 3 motors, 2 for the kitchen slide, 1 for the bedroom slide.
Stage 8 kits are approximately $75.00 per motor, plus labor to install.

Once you put these on, you will never need to worry about your slide out bolts working loose. Nappanee will tell you they fixed the problem back in 2019, they did not! On my 2022 LA purchased September 2021, I found two out of the 3 motors had boltís already loose at the 4 months timeframe.
Stage 8 will eliminate this!
Attachment 382310

Do each of the slide motor bolts take the part number shown in the photo?
Old 12-14-2022, 11:10 PM   #5

I put red loctite on mine...no issues.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 07:21 AM   #6

Doug, I think that's the best/cheapest solution. Clean threads with brake clean then red loctite. Granted if you had to remove the bolts you would destroy the threads but why would you remove the bolts other than to replace a dead motor. The trick with locktite is to make sure the threads are clean.
Old 12-15-2022, 08:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawten5 View Post
Doug, I think that's the best/cheapest solution. Clean threads with brake clean then red loctite. Granted if you had to remove the bolts you would destroy the threads but why would you remove the bolts other than to replace a dead motor. The trick with locktite is to make sure the threads are clean.
I always try to keep future maintenance in mind and red locktite would make it difficult to remove the motor. Personally, I would suggest blue locktite. It holds well but still able to remove in the future. Not sure how long the blue would hold up in the long run in this situation, but Iíve used blue in many heavy duty situations in the past with success.
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 09:32 AM   #8

I tried blue lock tight and it did not hold. To afraid to go with red. Ended installing the Stage 8 kit-not cheap but you are done with ever checking those bolts again.
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 01:22 PM   #9

Why would you ever need to remove the motor for maintenance? Unless the motor failed. This is exactly what red locktite was designed for. As an added safety measure you could measure the depth of the threads and use a longer bolt or threaded stud to get maximum bite
Old 12-15-2022, 01:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawten5 View Post
Why would you ever need to remove the motor for maintenance? Unless the motor failed. This is exactly what red locktite was designed for. As an added safety measure you could measure the depth of the threads and use a longer bolt or threaded stud to get maximum bite
For exactly that reason, in case the motor fails.
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 05:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Do each of the slide motor bolts take the part number shown in the photo?

Without checking the size bolts on your coach, I wonít guess your size.
On my LA, all were this size. You can call Stage 8 and they can help you with the proper size. There are only two sizes I believe.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 08:34 PM   #12

My 21 DS 4081 took the same stage 8 kits as Granite's. To the response that why would you not use red lock tight. The location of some of these bolts are up inside steel boxes and it may be extremely difficult to remove those bolts if you have to in the future for any reason. One member on this forum installs studs with double nuts and charges $300 per motor including labor. The Stage 8 kit is an elegant fix and is a little pricey but the plates they include are laser cut items and all the bolts are custom with grooves in the heads for the snap ring retainers and I can't imagine that they are selling thousands of these things. As far as trying to use safety wire, there is not enough access for this solution IMO.
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 08:56 AM   #13

NIDRV

I have been to NIDRV for warranty work, good , but not good enough, when we were there they gave me a list of service issues I needed to perform, they said after 6 mos. It was extremely extensive and expensive, included things like the engine bolts etc etc. I talked to another very reputable co in az and they said it was pretty much unnecessary, as you Newmar rep for a good recommendation.
you need engine oil, fuel filter, air filter, check belts, gen service. a good rv repair company can do all this, i would also stay away from Freightliner, check out Cummins diesel service in your local. I this situation common sense prevails, ask questions and get a fair price. I think NIDRV wanted $2200 dollars. FYI check out "Retro Bands" at NIDRV could save your life. Good luck
truckeeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 09:08 AM   #14

Great question CAllingham. Does anyone have suggestions other than the bolts/motor?
HartCO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, service