Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2019, 07:53 AM   #1

Any "Always-On" Circuits in a Newmar RV?

I would like to put a camera with a temperature monitor in our RV but I am concerned when the switch is thrown that kills the power in the coach it will be useless. Does anyone know if any of the outlets in the coach by-pass the kill-switch? Thanks in advance.
jwl_atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2019, 08:13 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwl_atlanta View Post
I would like to put a camera with a temperature monitor in our RV but I am concerned when the switch is thrown that kills the power in the coach it will be useless. Does anyone know if any of the outlets in the coach by-pass the kill-switch? Thanks in advance.

Why would you cut power if you are using it? Will you be hooked to shore power? The inverter normally does not go off when the battery cutoff switch is used, but then how long will the batteries last with the inverter on? Do you have a residential fridge?

You might consider using a usb power bank battery as a backup power source for your camera, and powering the power bank from a 12 volt outlet and not 120 volt. This way if your main house batteries die, the portable power bank will power the camera for some additional hours.

If you are wanting temperature, is it because you are leaving pets behind ? If so you would never want to cut power, and you would most likely want to be hooked to shore power, and have a AGS (auto generator start) which could power the air conditioner or heat in the event of a shorepower loss.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:29 AM   #3

You should start these types of projects by getting the wiring schematic for your rig if possible, or at least one similar.

And the switch you speak of...the storage switch that shuts off "all" circuits that are battery driven? ie: the "salesman switch" (I hate that nickname).

I would get a volt / ohm meter and start at the battery disconnect and look for a circuit there that is before the relay. Put a fuse on the device you are trying to control. Ensure the wire you are connecting to can absorb the new load. Put in your wire to your device.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:37 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm confused.
You mentioned the switch that's thrown that kills the power in the coach. I think we're all assuming you mean 12 volt power. Is that right?
However, you next say that you're afraid the outlets will go dead. When *I* think of 'outlets' I picture the 120 volt outlets - which would be unaffected by turning off the 12 volt to coach.
So IF you're referring to turning off 12 volts AND using the 120 volt outlets. Then no, turning off the 12 volt switch will not affect power to the outlets, and your temp device will continue working just fine (this assumes you're plugged in to shore power).
If that's not what you're referring to then you might want to rephrase/explain so that you can get better answers from us.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #5

Any "Always-On" Circuits in a Newmar RV?

My mistake in the wording of the question. We put the coach in storage when not in use and throw the "salesman switch" to make sure the house batteries are not drained by the next time we pick it up. I would like to install a camera that we can access remotely to check on the coach to make sure all is well and the temperature is not too high/low. When we are using the coach this is not an issue, only when the coach is in storage. Make better sense? Thanks
jwl_atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:17 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Is the coach plugged in when in storage?
You'd need the camera to be on the internet to access the camera remotely, so you'd need wifi for the camera, which means you'd likely also need 120 volt power.

If you've got 120 volt power and wifi available, this is the camera that I use to keep an eye on our RV when not there. Easy set up, easy to use app to view the camera.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-link...?skuId=6167303

Edit: I forgot a piece. I use one of these to monitor the temperature in the coach.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I make sure the temperature readout is in the view of the camera so I can tell what's going on there.

It's not one device that does both like you mentioned, but it gets the job done.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:26 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Throwing the storage or salesman switch latches a relay open that powers some 12v systems. If you look at the diagram that should come in the Black Bag...you will see a fuse block and some of the self resetting 12v breakers listed as non continuously powered. Located behind the power cord reel. These all get thier source from the latching relay. In other words...ALL of the outlets in the coach bypass the salesman switch. Your battery bank probably has three positive cables attached...One for the Inverter...one for the Bi-directional relay, and one for the "House". When you flip the so-called salesman switch, you shed only a portion of the loads on the House line. The inverter and BIM lines are not affected.

120v is strictly controlled by the Inverter...except for main AC outlets like washer/dryer, induction cooktop, and block heater which must have shore or generator power to operate.
if you have shore power in storage...then the camera will be powered. If you do not...then you will need to add solar to keep the batteries charged each day, whilst the inverter is powering your gadgets.

A battery monitor would be my first step. Then set up your rig as you would store it...and run a 24hr test, to see how many amp-hrs you use each day. Plan a solar system based on your coaches demands...taking into account inefficiencies. You want some extra reserve...to account for length of day, weather, panel angle to the sun, etc... You can't always get 180 watts from a 180 watt panel.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:35 AM   #8

I hate it when people throw switches at each other.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:37 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Look at something like the Blink cameras. They are self-contained, battery operated, and will report temperature. You could set up the Blink hub and wireless access wherever power is available. They could be located outside the coach if needed.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar