Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2022, 04:51 PM   #1

Any experience on Colorado 92

We are currently in Salida CO going to Grand Junction on Sunday. We are considering taking Scenic Highway 92 out of Sapinero CO, through Hotchkiss and into Delta. We did an elevation map and it looks like a single climb up of about 1500 feet and after the first 25 miles it is all downhill to Grand Junction. I have a gasser pulling a CRV. Anyone have any experience or suggestions? This is instead of taking HWY 50 (which we have done several times) straight to GJ.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2022, 05:34 PM   #2

From the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers & RVers' (highly recommended):

"It travels alongside the canyon where the Gunnison River flows. The dropoffs into the canyon are often very close to the edge of the road, very steep, very deep, and often without guardrails. The road is narrow, quite curvy and sometimes rough. Part of the area is open range so you could encounter livestock in the road.

The grades are usually fairly mild or short and steep but there are two exceptions. There is a southbound descent that is 5-7% for 4 miles and a northbound descent that is 5-7% for 5 miles. These are separated by about 10 miles of rolling hills. Sharp curves are constant along the entire road until you get close to the town of Maher."

Sounds like a fun drive!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 05:51 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I've ridden that road on a motorcycle and it's a beautiful drive during the first part after you cross the Blue Mesa Reservoir Dam. There are some curvy sections but nothing extremely tight. Further on it levels out into fairly flat high desert. If you have time, go into the north entrance of the Black Canyon National Park. The only way to access the north side is off of Hwy 92. By going that way you will avoid the construction on Hwy 50. We were on that last week and it's quite a bit of hard packed gravel and rough in spots.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:06 PM   #4

I've been on 92. Starting from the Blue Mesa Reservoir, The first 30 miles will be scenic and curvy. The road is standard width and goes up and down some. There is a climb around miles 10-14. I don't remember any cliff side driving. If you go this way, this part of the drive will be slow (because of the curves). Once you get away from the canyon, the road is like any other 2 lane highway through flat lands until you get to Hotchkiss. I have not been on the roads west of Hotchkiss. It appears it is almost all downhill from there.

andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 12:37 PM   #5

Thanks Everone

Thanks for the input. Usually those scenic roads are exactly what you all describe. I think I will take the chickens way out this time and take Hwy 50 West to GJ. Maybe take the toad out one day and do 92. We will see.

Safe travels
Old 09-24-2022, 10:18 PM   #6

Is highway 50 just west of Grand Mesa Dam still under construction and only open during certain times? We drove it in June in our Jeep on week-end, at one section pretty tight turns. Semis pretty well just zoomed thru there but don't think I'd want to in our 40' Newmar.
Old 09-24-2022, 11:12 PM   #7

Hwy 50 closure info:

https://www.us50info.com/

That highway gets lots of RV traffic. Can't imagine anyone having problems negotiating it when one lane is closed. It's only for 4-5 miles.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 05:16 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Is highway 50 just west of Grand Mesa Dam still under construction and only open during certain times? We drove it in June in our Jeep on week-end, at one section pretty tight turns. Semis pretty well just zoomed thru there but don't think I'd want to in our 40' Newmar.
I just drove it last week in our 40' Phaeton. There is really only one tight corner (that they are widening). The issue right now are several areas that are just hard packed gravel/dirt that are a little rough and narrow but it is manageable. The actual construction is about three miles of the five mile construction area. It is now open for alternating one way traffic during the week and totally open on the weekends.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 09:18 AM   #9

Yes, still under construction

Drove it yesterday and is as described above. It is open on weekends so no traffic control. One section with only 10 ft width. I wouldn't say white knuckle but maybe a pale knuckle. I was in a 35 foot gasser pulling a CRV. By the way, it doesn't look like they will be finishing it up any time too soon.
Old 09-26-2022, 10:10 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Like andy29847 says. Some fairly steep grades but none of the grades are particularly long. It is CURVY! Some of the curves are pretty tight and meeting large oncoming vehicles can be un-nerving. There is enough room but not PLENTY of room. I have driven it several times in a 34' gas motorhome towing a Jeep Cherokee. I would do it again if it took me where I wanted to go. It is cliff side sometimes!

It is scenic! It is not a short cut! It will take you longer to get to GJ than on Highway 50.

Just to the west of Hotchiss, almost in town, is a pretty big dip. Be on the lookout for it.

Tags
colorado