Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2022, 06:16 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Any good cable TV tester tools out there?

We have gone to two different RV parks in the last couple days and had poor cable reception. Both parks had 72 channels (advertised and confirmed with other RVers in park) and both times we are only getting half the channels. Always missing the first 10 which is network channels and most important to us. I am starting to suspect poor connections somewhere in the RV and will call River Park to see if they can offer some help hunting down the splitters and connections.

Back to the original subject - does anyone carry a tool that allows them to test the cable at the pedestal?

Unfortunately, all TV's are mounted in such a way that I do not have easy, direct access to cable connection in the back. Otherwise I would run the cable through a window as an experiment.

And yes - the wineguard OTA antenna is off and I know how to search for channels on the TV.

Speaking of OTA. I was told by a fellow RVer that they are getting 20 good OTA channels. I did a search on the wineguard and found 4 stations (the number on the Wineguard). After a search for Air Channels we found no channels. I wonder if it is a related problem in our coach?
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2022, 06:36 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Just got an answer to my own question. Park maintenance guy came by and checked. All channels good at the pedestal. He also checked my 30' connection cable and it was good.

Here is the tool that he used: https://www.amazon.com/Supersonic-SC...s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1#.

A simple portable TV. Showed me working channels on the screen. As an emergency I can run the cable through a window and at least the DW can watch network news.

Now I am on the hunt for loose connections inside the coach.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:13 AM   #3

The best thing to use is a spectrum analyzer but Winegard sells a tester called the Sensar Pro White TV Signal Strength Meter for $98 on Amazon that will tell you the signal strength of each channel. Or you could just get a small TV like the guy used. For checking the coax you really need a tester for that too and a lot of companies make them. For the best results you need one with a remote part that you put on the far end or you can just use an ohmmeter with a wire jumper on the end to check for continuity.
Steve1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:34 AM   #4

Since you are getting a number of channels Your problem lies in the settings or setup of your television, not in the cabling. I know you said you checked these first couple of items, but after owning parks for years the number of guests who swore they knew and checked these items only to be mistaken numbered in the hundreds.
Is the antenna booster off? That is the first thing to check. They can be hid in unlikely and sneaky locations. And they can even go bad to the point just removing it and using a barrel connector to join the coax together is the best plan.
When you scan for channels are you using the “cable” mode? That would be the second thing I would check. If your television is an old tube type it may have a digital converter box. Those do not play well with cable TV. Finally the TV itself could be circling the drain. Thankfully, even if that is the case televisions are cheap, unlike the gas you will need to get to the store. Good luck.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:42 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Cable problem solved. The park maintenance guy is very knowledgeable. He suggested checking first behind the Wingard OTA panel. Sure enough all three connections were loose by one and a half turns. Tightened them up and we now get 70 channels.

Still do not get any OTA channels. Heading to another location tomorrow and will check OTA there to decide if that is a different problem.

Maintenance guy gets a nice tip before I leave. Let's not start another endless debate here on tipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0781.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	366425  
Old 05-24-2022, 09:50 AM   #6

This is the tester we use. Check all the coax connections at the booster and in the 4th bay on passenger. Also under the d/s slide room the coax cables should have another union there, tighten all of those as well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5FBC7112-F9F1-4D0F-BF4F-6AA5736A6252.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	362.9 KB
ID:	366429  
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:57 PM   #7

The cable on the roof antenna was loose on mine also.
Steve1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:00 AM   #8

Not a tester but I had the same problem at times and I installed a cable booster, the same as used in your bricks and sticks and I have not had the problem since. I put it at the connection in the basement. I used this one from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ASEB2SC...KZEPGKRK6YY8AS
sramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 05:59 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dowdle View Post
Check all the coax connections at the booster and in the 4th bay on passenger. Also under the d/s slide room the coax cables should have another union there, tighten all of those as well
Thanks Bobby,

To be clear, where is the booster? Is that the same as the Wineguard above the drive seat? And where is the d/s slide room?

Tags
cable, test, tools