Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2017, 11:02 PM   #1

Any Newmar owners NOT locking your slides while traveling?

I've been told by a Newmar tech in a Western state that the 2 slides on my '17 Canyon Star will not come out while going down the road -- if they are not locked. I was told NOT to lock the slides. Another CS owner told me he received this info too. Not sure what the factory's position is but would guess they installed slide locks to be used.

I haven't driven my CS since receiving this info and trust the tech I spoke with.

Still, I'm wondering if Newmar owners are skipping the locks after putting their slides in.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2017, 11:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland0311 View Post
Not sure what the factory's position is but would guess they installed slide locks to be used.
Did the tech give you that info in writing ?

Liability; if the slide goes out while your driving, causing an accident , and you're not using a factory installed safety device ; who's to blame ?
Call the factory .

There is an ongoing post in the last three days where a slide went out on a member and an older post from a Newmar owner who just got off the road when he heard the audible warning from the slide controller.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:48 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I had my CS for 6 years and I never locked them and never had a problem...
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:10 AM   #4

lock mine all the time. I had a bad switch on the full wall slide and would make contact on its own and start moving the slide out of position. Not a good situation but fortunately we were at a stop.

Due to a $2 switch I will lock mine religiously
Old 08-22-2017, 08:53 AM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I lock one on each slide as each slide has one that is difficult to see, lock/unlock, and confirm its position. The ones I do lock can be visually inspected for its position and, except one, are easily accessable.
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceratto's Grotto View Post
I lock one on each slide as each slide has one that is difficult to see, lock/unlock, and confirm its position. The ones I do lock can be visually inspected for its position and, except one, are easily accessable.
Same here I lock the front lock on each slide. My back lock on my full wall slide kept binding so I took it off. Hence there is no back lock to lock. No problems at all with the slides coming out.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:08 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Lock both ends large slide. Lock one side small bedroom slide sometimes I lock both.
I like the slides pulled in tight and sealed also piece of mind to insure they do not move while traveling. With the older slides nothing really holds top in place as mechanics for moving located at bottom. Locks are in middle so it pulls slide in tight.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:10 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have had two DSDP's, we ordered both ordered with lots of specials. I never locked the arms except for the one right behind my head and then only to stop it from rattling.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:25 AM   #9

We have had electric slides for over 20 years and until we bought our Newmar in 2014 had never had any manual locks. It is my understanding that on all electrical sides, there is a brake that is automatically applied to the motor shaft whenever the slide is in the "in" position.

I have had a number of conversations with Newmar customer service reps, and they have finally admitted that the brake is sufficient. The main thing the lock does is make the slide quieter. I have found that it does make it quieter, so we generally lock the front end of the full slide on the driver's side and the front slide on the passenger side. We do not use either manual lock on the bedroom slide.

Now on the other side of the coin, as others have mentioned there can be a malfunction that could let a slide come out and the manual locks could be an extra precaution. We personally have never experienced that though.

Ed Headington
Ed Headington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:48 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Ok, one more thought ( I always lock mine ). If Newmar and any other brand, thought that they were not important why wouldn't they just leave them off and save the money?
Old 08-22-2017, 10:14 AM   #11

We do not lock either of our slides. Neither of my slides will operate if the chassis engine is running, power is cut off from either the controller or motors. I do know that there were 2 units at Newmar for repairs due to trying to open their slides with the locks locked. Various scenarios lead to the event. Both were pretty nasty looking and required pretty significant (and I would assume costly) repairs.

No way my big slide is coming out going down the road, the driver seat is nestled into the front of the slide.

I wonder if the slide mechanism "braking" would go away if power were completely disconnected, like in long term storage with batteries disconnected? If not level, could the slide creep out? If I found myself in that scenario I would probably use the locks, and then hang flags of some sort inside the coach to remind me the locks were set.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:22 AM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to 8TiresRollin
With the slide motor gear ratio "braking" effect I find it hard to believe any slide would simply come out going down the road unless it was inadvertently powered to go out due to some malfunction. Under normal circumstances, with the interlocks Newmar has, this would be nigh on impossible unless the torque nuts came loose.
8TiresRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I lock the slides all the time. Front and back. The locks form a good mechanical bond with the side of the coach. They also bring the slide in just a bit more causing the seals to seal better. Locking and unlocking the slides is jut part of the routine. Doesn't take long.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #14

I have the electro/mechanical lock arms. I don't get a choice. They do require some periodic torque adjustment (a pot on the controller) to make sure they don't break tiles.

Tags
newmar, slide, travel