Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2021, 08:04 PM   #1

Any suggestions on where to put a triple jumbo water filter in Ventana 4369

I would like to upgrade my water filter in my Ventana, both in terms of filtration and water flow. The best option is going to jumbos, and I really like the idea of the triple jumbo from Rvwaterfilterstore.

Any thoughts on where I could put this? One option would be in the far back driver's side compartment, but it's not heated and I camp in the winter below freezing, so I would need to put a heater in there, which I could. The upside to this is that if it sprung a leak the damage would be limited.

The other option would be in the passthrough compartment, running some pex from the wet bay past the electrical bay and Oasis compartment, or the half compartment on door side, just forward of the tanks and the pegboard compartment.

Any other thoughts? I guess the biggest downside to the full passthrough and half pass through would be water drainage with a leak or even just changing the cartridges.

Any thoughts on how/where to get significantly better filtration without pulling an external filter out and plopping on the ground every time I stop?

tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2021, 08:17 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
After you heat the two compartments on the drivers side rear you would still need to find a way to heat the piping from there to the wet bay.

I would look at the pegboard on the far side of the wet bay. You would be staying in the same bay so already heated and easy to run lines from one side to the other.

There was a post 6-9 months ago about someone who put a water softener over there so it may have the depth you need for the jumbos.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandDescape View Post
After you heat the two compartments on the drivers side rear you would still need to find a way to heat the piping from there to the wet bay.

I would look at the pegboard on the far side of the wet bay. You would be staying in the same bay so already heated and easy to run lines from one side to the other.

There was a post 6-9 months ago about someone who put a water softener over there so it may have the depth you need for the jumbos.

- Richard
Good point on the tubing. Not sure it could be routed through a heated area to get to the back rear. The peg board compartment with board installed is very narrow, but maybe there is more room behind it then I realize. I'll need to check that out.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Good point on the tubing. Not sure it could be routed through a heated area to get to the back rear. The peg board compartment with board installed is very narrow, but maybe there is more room behind it then I realize. I'll need to check that out.
I will ask the why question. I placed 2 filters in my DS 4369 and it works fine. A sediment then a carbon filter. One is 1 micron. I use the pump so the water fills through the 2 filters. The fridge has a filter for ice and water. I then put a LED UV treatment for water under the sink with a faucet by the sink for drinking and coffee just in case the water is really bad.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:48 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a Pura UV2 system with 2 regular canisters and a UV light that fits in the right most canister. I couple that with a blue camco in-line filter before the hose reel.

I only get about 2gpm through that trio, but like others have said I only really use that to fill the fresh water tank and then we use water from there. When we have multiple people showering or we are doing laundry we may use the hose and water pump in parallel.

- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2339.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	382.6 KB
ID:	336822  
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:49 AM   #6

I have a 3 canister set like you but it is not the jumbo size. The way my gull wing basement doors work I can't mount them in the wet bay. I always pull water from the tank so I fill the tank with 2 of the 3 canisters (first is an inline 25micron inline for sediment, then the first canister is a 1 micron re-usable pleated filter and the 2nd is a .5 micron carbon filter that gets most of the taste out of the water. I set the filter set un the ground while filling the tank. When I am done I pull the filters out, rinse the pleated one and let both sit out to dry. To store I put the dried filters back in the dry canisters and store in a bay on the driver side.
The 3rd canister of the set is in case I run into some iron or really bad water. I have a couple special filters stored under the bed to go in the 3rd canister when needed. Otherwise I use the 3rd canister for adding bleach while sanitizing the tank and system.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:07 PM   #7

We added a water softener in the wet bay and a RO unit under the kitchen sink. Really happy with it. Goes much further than just more filters.
Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:39 PM   #8

Quote:
- Richard
That may have been mine. I did it in the Spring of 2020.

1. Incoming water first goes to the whole house filter in the wet bay. Then flows through 3/4" pex tubing to the "pegboard" side. I removed the pegboard as I never used it anyway and the double OTG was too large with it, but I think the single OTG would fit with the pegboard in place.

2. I installed my OTG softener there held in place with a ratchet strap. I put it in a simple small plastic tote bottom in case there was a small leak...of course I'd have to catch it pretty quickly anyway. I have been thinking of beefing that up with a drain out the bottom.

3. Then 3/4" pex takes it back to the water bay.

The PEX is wrapped in foam pipe insulation to keep it raised off the top of the water tank to avoid abrasion and I zip tied it in place using the holes in the strapping that secures the water tanks.

Very easy modification. Everything is in the "heated" water/sewage area. Nothing to haul out and set up. Just hook up your water and you are all set. Also filters and softens all water going into the fresh water tank.

Side note....the filter in the refrigerator makes the soft water very drinkable so we get our coffee or cooking water out of the fridge dispenser.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post
That may have been mine. I did it in the Spring of 2020.

1. Incoming water first goes to the whole house filter in the wet bay. Then flows through 3/4" pex tubing to the "pegboard" side. I removed the pegboard as I never used it anyway and the double OTG was too large with it, but I think the single OTG would fit with the pegboard in place.

2. I installed my OTG softener there held in place with a ratchet strap. I put it in a simple small plastic tote bottom in case there was a small leak...of course I'd have to catch it pretty quickly anyway. I have been thinking of beefing that up with a drain out the bottom.

3. Then 3/4" pex takes it back to the water bay.

The PEX is wrapped in foam pipe insulation to keep it raised off the top of the water tank to avoid abrasion and I zip tied it in place using the holes in the strapping that secures the water tanks.

Very easy modification. Everything is in the "heated" water/sewage area. Nothing to haul out and set up. Just hook up your water and you are all set. Also filters and softens all water going into the fresh water tank.

Side note....the filter in the refrigerator makes the soft water very drinkable so we get our coffee or cooking water out of the fridge dispenser.
I was looking at your thread last night after someone referenced it. I'm going to pull my pegboard off and see if I have as much room as you do.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:22 PM   #10

Quote:
I have a Pura UV2 system with 2 regular canisters and a UV light that fits in the right most canister. I couple that with a blue camco in-line filter before the hose reel.

I only get about 2gpm through that trio, but like others have said I only really use that to fill the fresh water tank and then we use water from there. When we have multiple people showering or we are doing laundry we may use the hose and water pump in parallel.

- Richard
Effectively, this is what I'm doing now with my single canister with the Pentek CFB-PB, which seemed like the best compromise filter out there for a single cartridge.

I was hoping to move to something with both better filtration and better flow, so I didn't have to either always run off the pump, or run off city with the pump kicking in to maintain pressure.

One of the other things I've considered is the pura system, or one of the water fixer company filter/UV combos (I even had an outlet installed in my wet bay like yours, which I did after seeing your pic post elsewhere a while back). Those options would be good for water quality, just not water flow.

Tags
vent, ventana, water