Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2015, 04:29 PM   #1

Anybody know what's under my wallpaper?

We have a 2003 DSDP 3802, and I would really like to paint the walls of the coach. Should I try to remove the wallpaper? Or install wall liner and paint that? Or just sand the seams and paint over the existing wall paper? We hope to be fulltiming next year for at least 5 years, and looking at this hideous wallpaper for that length of time would be depressing. I wouldn't be afraid to remove the paper if I knew I would have a good surface to paint on. Someone here has to have done this already to a similar Newmar coach. What color did you use to coordinate with these 'lovely' oak cabinets?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2015, 04:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjkahler View Post
We have a 2003 DSDP 3802, and I would really like to paint the walls of the coach. Should I try to remove the wallpaper? Or install wall liner and paint that? Or just sand the seams and paint over the existing wall paper? We hope to be fulltiming next year for at least 5 years, and looking at this hideous wallpaper for that length of time would be depressing. I wouldn't be afraid to remove the paper if I knew I would have a good surface to paint on. Someone here has to have done this already to a similar Newmar coach. What color did you use to coordinate with these 'lovely' oak cabinets?
typically, the "wood" under the wallpaper is luwan, this is a hardboard pressed wood product. If you strip the wallpaper off you may need to use drywall "mud" or plaster to make it smooth for the paint. This would make a better surface than wallpaper for paint.
Trekgrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:41 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
There are a number of threads on this .. but to simplify things. I totally re-painted my interior walls - so speak from experience.

If you can remove the wallpaper, you are better than most. It is factory bonded to the luan/lauan paneling. So scrub the walls down with TSP. Rinse well. Paint with a good primer/sealer like Kiltz.. oil base if possible. Then paint with a good quality house paint. Mine worked out well. Some of the small nooks and crannies are really difficult to get into, but it can be done.

I have have any questions.. just let me know and I will try to answer them.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's a video of Pippi Peterson painting over her wallpaper in her kitchen just to give you some ideas. You don't have to do the penny countertops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=fCNZRP1wjVE
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:58 PM   #5

The " wallpaper " is a factory applied finish ( panel factory / not at Newmar ). Removing it would be next to impossible without creating a huge mess. There are a number of paint products out there that are designed to cover rough wall surfaces. I think this would be the route to go.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:43 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Don't do it

I had the bright idea to also remove the wall paper and put up some new. What a mistake that was. Several weeks later I had it removed along with all the gummy residue. It was a mess and I would never attempt again. My 2 cents.
FORTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekgrr View Post
typically, the "wood" under the wallpaper is luwan, this is a hardboard pressed wood product. If you strip the wallpaper off you may need to use drywall "mud" or plaster to make it smooth for the paint. This would make a better surface than wallpaper for paint.
vjkahler (& Trekgrr)
Lauan is a tropical hardwoodspecies similar to mahogany.
The interior wall paneling in many RVs is Lauan plywood, (not a hardboard pressed wood product)... with a very thin "vinyl patterned film" factory bonded to the face....
That "film" is not easily removed.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:55 PM   #8

You could also cover the wallpaper with another wallpaper. There are lots of patterns out there. Some are fairly simple patterns and probably could find some solid colors. Also, there are textured wallpapers like grass cloth and other textures. Probably be the easiest if you can find a paper you can live with.

Whether you paint or repaper, be sure to clean off old wall surface thoroughly so the paint or wallpaper will adhere tightly. If you paint, use a primer like someone above suggested.

Good luck. Hope this helps.
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote