Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2022, 01:44 PM   #29

My opinion it’s this, if you have the knowledge, the space, the equipment, the tools and means of environmentally dispose of used fuel and oil by all means go for it, as for me I only have the knowledge so once a year I make a trip to Spartan and get all done and on to Mothership for any additional work

Zzotte
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2022, 03:53 PM   #30

Freightliner Class

I have been working on my own equipment (cars, tractors, forklifts & trucks) for 40+ years and when I bought my first DP I took the Freightliner 2 day class and it was real helpful in learning about DP. There was a lot of info I already knew but I also learned a lot. I would suggest this.
RV4US2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 04:43 PM   #31

Do you have a Service Agreement, i.e. “Extended Warranty”?

If you purchased an “Extended Warranty” agreement, be sure to check the agreement carefully. Per our agreement service must be provided by a professional maintenance shop and every single line item mentioned in your owners manual must be up to date or they will deny your claim. Our service has always been provided by a Newmar dealer, Freightliner, or Cummins, but we had one line item from the owners manual that was missed and when that part failed our claim was denied. It was a very expensive lesson learned.
MrsBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 04:56 PM   #32

I have a Ventana and just did an oil and filter change on the engine and the generator. Not that difficult. Just use your jacks to give you some extra room. And your right - once a year oil change doesn't work for me. I use Rotella T6 synthetic and get my filters from Amazon. Cost is about $130. You just need a larger oil drain pan.
Shell Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:03 PM   #33

Sorry, my statement above in “Do you have a Service Agreement” was incorrect. It should say service must be provided by a professional maintenance shop or if you perform it yourself you must retain all receipts.”
MrsBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:52 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
I can easily change the oil in my cars, etc. The issue with doing so on the RV is the sheer volume of oil. I don't have a container big enough to catch 6 gallons of oil. Trying to drain half, get the plug back in half way, then get the other half out would be an incredible mess. I know many put the Fumoto valve in place of the drain plug, but that first time would still be an enormous mess. How do you DIY guys deal with that?

I use a 40 quart Rubbermaid plastic container. Been using it for years. Snap the lid on before moving it.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:04 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampers View Post
Ok we have a 2019 Dutchstar 4369, it only has 6K miles on it, I know it says to service every 10K miles or 12 months whichever comes first, I am not a big fan of the 12 month service if you put 2000 miles a year on the unit. Anyway, how hard is it to service one of these things, I have a big shop with mechanics that work on all my big trucks, can all the work be performed from outside the coach ? Not sure if I want my guys crawling around on the inside. It has a 450 Cummins, thanks for any info I may need, I guess I could dig up the owners manual to see what all is involved, thanks.
The frist 3 years is inportant to have ALL OF THE CHECKS done things move. You can get the list on line of all the things that need to be checked and it is a long list.
If you put 2000 miles on it in a year you do not get it hot and keep it hot to get the water out of the oil. Now for what most do not know is water in the oil makes the oil tunr to a acid and that is way all engen makers say change the oil every year.
JC 4018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:12 AM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
FYI - You can hook up a shop vac to your oil filler hose and with it on, swap out the drain plug for the fumoto valve drain valve. It's been posted in this forum and I was reluctant, but curiosity got the best of me and it worked like a champ!! I had changed the oil many times the old way and have since changed once with the fumoto valve. It's just slower but being able to drain into empty containers and not having to clean up the large drain pain is great. I usually save some 2.5 gal DEF containers to the drain used oil.

The knowledge you can pick up on this forum is priceless!!!
DiddyPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:46 PM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I’m mechanically inclined and wouldn’t think of it. To many filters, grease fittings to mis. I leave it to the pros.
jacktextor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:59 PM   #38

Servicing coach

I have a 2018 Newmar Dutchstar. I’ve done all the service work on it since it was new.
Including the generator. There are numerous YouTube videos that are helpful. Sum are pretty lengthy. I do use the jacks on the coach to raise the rear end up. But I always use heavy duty 20 ton jackstands. I also have a 20 ton pneumatic bottle jack. It’s not the easiest job, and can be a little messy. Especially when you get to the fuel filters.
Why engine holds 29 quarts, the rear end is just under 5 gallon. So you need to be prepared to dispose of a lot of oil. The hardest thing to grease are the universal joints, even fully jacked up, I have to lay on the ground, not a creeper and I just fit underneath to get to them. If you are a heavier person, you will not make it!
I do the maintenance myself because when I’m under there I’m looking for things that could cause future issues. And if I find something I take care of it. Hoses rubbing,
I found a hose to close to the exhaust manifold, and I wrapped it with and asbestos like heat tape, and stainless steel tie wraps. To keep it from bursting. I have also changed a co lessing filter once. You have to access that from the top, through the floor.
Don’t forget the oil bath wheel seals, they’re not hard to do, but you have to jack wheels off the ground with the bottle jack so you can spin them. Drain them and refill. All I use is Amsoil on everything. The transmission is not bad either, I have an Allison 3000. But it holds
A little over 5 gallon oil if I remember correctly. And there’s two filters that need changed in there. And of course you will need some torque wrenches. It will definitely take you several days to do all this work, including the generator. If you’re mechanically inclined, it is doable! All of my neighbors take theirs out for service, but they also pay someone to clean and wax them.
L Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:59 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
How do I find out what size fumoto valve to buy? I have 2003 Dutch Star with a 350 hp Cummings.
tubitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:35 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampers View Post
Ok we have a 2019 Dutchstar 4369, it only has 6K miles on it, I know it says to service every 10K miles or 12 months whichever comes first, I am not a big fan of the 12 month service if you put 2000 miles a year on the unit. Anyway, how hard is it to service one of these things, I have a big shop with mechanics that work on all my big trucks, can all the work be performed from outside the coach ? Not sure if I want my guys crawling around on the inside. It has a 450 Cummins, thanks for any info I may need, I guess I could dig up the owners manual to see what all is involved, thanks.
I have an older Bounder Cummins diesel. I change my engine oil once a year, using Rotella T6 full synthetic. (Synthetic oil doesn't sludge up like regular oil, so leaving it in for the year is no problem). It's really quite simple to change the oil. I just crawl under the coach with a 16 quart drain pan, remove the plug from the pan and let-er-drain. Replacing the oil filter is a snap as well. Everything is accessible. It's actually easier than changing the oil on a car or truck. I change the fuel filter yearly as well. Air filter is every 3 years. I do the generator full service yearly as well. If you have basic automotive knowledge and tools, I believe you can do this service as well. And yes, the work is performed outside the coach. Check your manuals for oil quantity and such.
TDebrocke55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:37 PM   #41

Oil is a whole lot cheaper than engine failure
joezuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:49 PM   #42

I have a Cat C9 in my DP.....I service it once a year....All the filters....You can go to Cat and get a oil sample kit for about $30 and give it to them for analysis....Usually that's included in the price of the kit....It will tell stories about how your PowerPoint is doing....Been very helpful for me but that's just my choice, just say'n...
bigdogrv123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, service